Our Day in Progreso

snowcat

Just thought I'd do a quick review on our day in Progreso. We were there on Tuesday, Dec. 7 on the Elation. We did the Dzibulchaltun Ruins tour offered by the ship. We met the tour at the end of the gangway, very clear and easy. We walked as a group through the pier shops and boarded an airconditioned bus (I think there were 2 or 3 buses in the tour). Our guide, who was clearly proud of the Mayan heritage of the area, gave us a good deal of information on the 20 (or so) minute ride to the ruins. We waited briefly at the ruin parking lot for our guide to get tickets. We spent a few minutes in the shop/restroom area inside the gate for everyone to have a chance to use the restrooms, then followed our guide. He was very informative....we could either stay with him or wander about on our own. It was HOT. After he had led us around and given us information for about an hour, he encouraged us to explore on our own. We went over to the cenote (sinkhole) to swim. It was refreshing....a neat place. We had worn our swimsuits under shorts/Tshirts which was good since the restrooms were a good hike away. After swimming, we explored around more and met back at the bus at 12:30. On boarding the bus, we got bottled water and you could buy beer for $2. On the way back to the pier, we saw HUGE SWARMS of locusts flying around....clouds of them. They dropped us off at the pier after a very interesting tour!

Snowcat, do you know if the Progreso excursion list on the Carnival website is an accurate one. I received another list from Carnival via email that doesn't include the Dzibulchaltun Ruins tour. It only included Chichen-Itza, Chelem Lagoon kayak, Merida/Rodeo, Merida Shopping, nature bike tour, Reef Club, and Uxmal ruins. I'm wondering which list is the one to decide from. We will be on the Elation Dec. 26. Thanks, Marie213.

I'm not sure about the Carnival website excursion list. I do know that I ran off the Progreso excursion page off the website the end of November to take with us and the Dzibulchaltun Ruins tour was listed on there. When we got on the ship we got a flyer listing all the tours and their descriptions....I can't imagine that they would change it much, but who knows! I'll take a look at their website later.

Always too many choices and not enough time!! :-) As we came back on the bus from the tour, it looked like there was a decent beach area right at the end of the pier. Maybe if we are in Progreso again, we'll check that out.

Archived