blondee007

Carnival lost my daughter from Camp Carnival

Originally Posted by hayesktrm viewpost.gif

Really? I disagree when people say a cruise ship is a city. What city can you not get off of. If there are all these predators (which I haven't heard about) they will most likely get caught because all the suspects would be on board

Even if people cannot get off the ship midsea, how long do you think they can be kept onboard? They cannot keep us indefinitely. It's called false imprisonment.

Someone also stated earlier that they have pics of everyone onboard. There are privacy issues with showing these pics. How would you feel if your husband, brother, father , son or your own pic was shown to a child as a potential pedophile?

And before anyone says it, most children cannot give an accurate description for an arrest, in my opinion. Ask a child to describe someone and they might say they are old. Do you remember being 8 and thinking 22 was old?

I feel was have 2 jobs as parents. One is to raise our children to be healthy adults who contribute to society. The other is to protect them on this journey.

How we do it is up to us. Who is to say your way is better than mine? Or vice versa?

Really? I disagree when people say a cruise ship is a city. What city can you not get off of. If there are all these predators (which I haven't heard about) they will most likely get caught because all the suspects would be on board...and they have A LOT of cameras. I wish when you had a crime in a city you could just lock down the city and that there would only be about 3,000 suspects...I bet crime would be a lot less. My kids have been cruising for years and they know not to go into anyone's cabin, period. I think a cruise is a great place for kids to learn some independence (when they're ready). I am very protective of my kids, but I think I have done them a disservice sometimes because they don't know how to do so many things that I learned as a kids because I had the opportunity.

Don't have a clue, do you?

I feel was have 2 jobs as parents. One is to raise our children to be healthy adults who contribute to society. The other is to protect them on this journey.

Could not have said it better. Thank you. :)

I don't know if the OP was a troll or not, but this has actually got me thinking about how I want to handle CC with my 12 year-old in December. Believe me, she will not be allowed to sign herself out without giving us a check-in call, first.

So, no matter if true or not, this post SHOULD be driving discussions between parents and their cruising children.

Wow, can't believe this is still going. OP posted one post and left....

Don't let people like the OP get you all riled up and mad at each other. This happens much too oftern here.

I think it is our responsabilty as parents to teach our kids what to do if something such as the OP situation was. Both my kids absolutly know what to do. They know to head back to the cabin and wait there untill we come. They know where to go for help should they need it.

My oldest child has Down Syndrome and can navigate the ship better than me. I must admit though, on the last 4 cruises we have picked the same room each time and it is Spirit Class ship each time, so I guess there is an advantage there.

Maybe I'm wrong, and I'm sure I'll get flamed, but I think we should teach our kids not to panic, but to think things through. Critical thinking.

I think it is our responsabilty as parents to teach our kids what to do if something such as the OP situation was. Both my kids absolutly know what to do. They know to head back to the cabin and wait there untill we come. They know where to go for help should they need it.

My oldest child has Down Syndrome and can navigate the ship better than me. I must admit though, on the last 4 cruises we have picked the same room each time and it is Spirit Class ship each time, so I guess there is an advantage there.

Maybe I'm wrong, and I'm sure I'll get flamed, but I think we should teach our kids not to panic, but to think things through. Critical thinking.

Four kids and no matter what we have taught them.. all four react to different situations in different manners. They themselves react differently depending on their location, their mood, the amount of sleep they had the night before and a host of other reasons.

I myself handle situations differently dependent on the circumstances. I think I am a tough cookie, NOTHING scares or frightens me (outside the children and loved ones thing). But could I have a melt down? Sure I could. If I'm sick, alone, tired, and in a strange environment is it more likely to happen? I think so.

I'm not a fan of blanket statements. Teach your children this and if you do that everything is going to go by your plan. "My children would never" and If you raised your kid like I'm raising mine the world would be a better place." My mother taught me a whole lot of stuff, did I always practice what I was taught.. hmm. NO.

Raising children is a wing and a prayer. I've seen too many wonderful caring parents raise excellent citizens and also have a child who is a dredge on society. I've also seen too many useless parents raise excellent citizens and they never did a thing right.

My 40th anniversary of being a mother is around the corner and the only thing I've learned in 40 years is that I don't have all the answers. 40 years ago of course I thought I did. I cringe when I look back at the "I'm going to be the best parent, my child will never" person.

Some how I can't figure how it managed to become a slam on this poster's parenting skills. There was a little girl upset enough to cry. Whether or not your child would have reacted the same way is not relevant. The fact that this child needed better from the staff is what is important.

Edited by cathyoo

..................... I'm sure I'll get flamed, but I think we should teach our kids not to panic, but to think things through. Critical thinking.

PACURN,

No flames from me. Just complete agreement. :)

I am in total agreement with you. The OP shouldn't expect Carnival or anyone else to protect their children and shouldn't blame them when they failed at their obligations. The OP should own up to their responsibilities as parents. Either don't sign for the child to check themselves out or be there on time to pick them up. This thread has opened up some good dialogue. Disagreement but not much flamming. I have learned from this thread and I hope others have too. Don't think I will allow grandson to check himself out next time. I trust him, but.....

I have a question for those in law enforcement. What is the age that you can LEGALLY leave your child alone. I'm assuming its 13 because when I do my taxes :D it allows for child care until the age of 13. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Also just want to make a point here, although I have a few personal experiences that I'm not willing to share, I'd like to share this one.

When I was about 10 or 11 I mentioned to some neighborhood kids that I over heard something that I shouldn't have overheard, which involved my mom. BIG MISTAKE. From that day on, for years, the neighborhood bully threatened to tell my mother that I told everybody this story. I was petrified that my mother would find out. He tortured me for years and one time even pulled me into his apartment and put a knife to my throat just to scare me. I never told any of this to my mom as I was afraid the bully would tell on me.

Anyhows, my point is that things happen and alot of times the kids don't tell because they've been threatened or whatever so the fact that these people can leave the ship makes no difference if its not reported.

Totally agree with this comment, I believe kids SHOULD know what to do in case of emergency or if they get separated, mine always knew the place they should go in case of separation.

I am just not for letting 9 and 10 year olds go about by themselves, I think it's borrowing trouble. But to give info on what to do? Absolutely!!!

DS is about to enter JR high at age 12 and many student do this at 11. The number of sudents and staff is comprable to that of a mid-sized a cuise ship (not a city). I am quite certain that the per capita incidents of "bad things" is higher in the Jr. High. Yet DS WILL travel from class to class go in early stay late - we will worry much more about him there than going from the Pizza buffet to the show room with his sister.

Edited by nealstuber

I have a question for those in law enforcement. What is the age that you can LEGALLY leave your child alone. I'm assuming its 13 because when I do my taxes :D it allows for child care until the age of 13. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Also just want to make a point here, although I have a few personal experiences that I'm not willing to share, I'd like to share this one.

Most states don't have any laws concerning this - a few do, and it ranges from 8 to 13. We live in Louisiana, and there is no law dictating how old children must be to be home alone.

DS is about to enter JR high at age 12 and many student do this at 11. The number of sudents and staff is comprable to that of a mid-sized a cuise ship (not a city). I am quite certain that the per capita incidents of "bad things" is higher in the Jr. High. Yet DS WILL travel from class to class go in early stay late - we will worry much more about him there than going from the Pizza buffet to the show room with his sister.

This is a really good point. We homeschool, but I hear some of the stories from the middle and high school kids in the neighborhood, and I agree that these kids face a much more perilous journey navigating a typical day in public school than they would being on their own the entire day on a cruise ship!

Most states don't have any laws concerning this - a few do, and it ranges from 8 to 13. We live in Louisiana, and there is no law dictating how old children must be to be home alone.

NC its 8.. I wouldn't leave my 8 year old home alone!!

Are we sure this even happened as the poster stated? .

:confused: How can we be 'sure' of anything ANYONE posts on here????

NC its 8.. I wouldn't leave my 8 year old home alone!!

8!!! Holy Tomolly! I'd get arrested in NJ if I left my kid home alone at 8.

So, back to the question for law enforcement.....people get arrested in the New york/New Jersey area for leaving their kids home alone all the time. If there are no laws on age, how does that happen.

The point I'm trying to get at is with everyone discussing at what age they "leave their kids in the cabin alone" or let them go off without parental supervision, it would be good to know at what age it's actually LEGAL to do this.

Does anyone find it odd that this is the OP's first post and the OP has not returned to respond to anything? Hmmmm....

Gosh, why would she? Many of you have made very harsh comments about her bad parenting in that her kiddo didn't make the precise decisions in rectifying her situation. Chances could be that the mom didn't anticipate a lot of things that maybe she should have. And it's a lesson for the rest of us when planning our next cruise with our kids. I sure know that I don't always have a contingency plan when I have my kids. I assume I will always be there. This post is a reminder to us all that we can't always protect our kids. This board can be entirely too judgmental.

I do not think it matters if the OP comes back or not. I do not care if she was lying or telling the truth. What I do care about is that parents may think it could happen and take precautions. Most of the Carnival ships are huge and you can get lost very easily. I am sure we all have been lost the first few days we are on the ship. But it is important that the children know where they should be, where their Stateroom is and where the Pursers Desk is and how to get there.

Just my 2 cents.

8!!! Holy Tomolly! I'd get arrested in NJ if I left my kid home alone at 8.

So, back to the question for law enforcement.....people get arrested in the New york/New Jersey area for leaving their kids home alone all the time. If there are no laws on age, how does that happen.

The point I'm trying to get at is with everyone discussing at what age they "leave their kids in the cabin alone" or let them go off without parental supervision, it would be good to know at what age it's actually LEGAL to do this.

Remember, most ships are not American flagged ships. Laws could be different on the ships just as they are different in each state.

Yes there is, it is 10. That is the age of culpablity (sp?). And 13 is when you can be charged as an adult in some cases, (which I don't agree with). When I was 10 in Illinois back in the 70's, I was a "latch key child". It all depends on the parents and child.

Yes there is, it is 10. That is the age of culpablity (sp?). And 13 is when you can be charged as an adult in some cases, (which I don't agree with). When I was 10 in Illinois back in the 70's, I was a "latch key child". It all depends on the parents and child.

There is no national law pertaining to leaving kids at home alone - it is a state issue. I worked in the juvenile court system a while back and we had people leaving their 5 and 6 year old kids alone for hours - all day and all night - while they went to work, and I looked into whether or not the parents could be charged with breaking the law - and in Louisiana, they could NOT because there was no law on the books. There had to be evidence of neglect beyond that in order to get child protective services involved.

Remember, most ships are not American flagged ships. Laws could be different on the ships just as they are different in each state.

True true! Ah....another thing for me to research.:D

There is no national law pertaining to leaving kids at home alone - it is a state issue. I worked in the juvenile court system a while back and we had people leaving their 5 and 6 year old kids alone for hours - all day and all night - while they went to work, and I looked into whether or not the parents could be charged with breaking the law - and in Louisiana, they could NOT because there was no law on the books. There had to be evidence of neglect beyond that in order to get child protective services involved.

Wow! I have to check and see what the law is in NJ. With DYFS being so busy here, I'll bet its older. Boy, I keep telling my boss I can't work full time yet cause I can't leave my 12 yo alone (always assumed it was 13). He figured it was an excuse and...........actually............it is. I might not have a leg to stand on now!!:mad:

Why didn't your daughter just go back to your cabin? I'm just confused as to why she would sit somewhere and cry instead of heading back to the room.

Hmm when I was ten I remember crawling into the bed of my sister, sometimes thinking I heard a scary noise

maybe being on a huge ship and not knowing where mom and dad are and being alone and afraid and probably not knowing the direction to go to find the room and even if she did the thoughts of going to a room alone at night was just making things more scary

Hmm when I was ten I remember crawling into the bed of my sister, sometimes thinking I heard a scary noise

maybe being on a huge ship and not knowing where mom and dad are and being alone and afraid and probably not knowing the direction to go to find the room and even if she did the thoughts of going to a room alone at night was just making things more scary

If you have read the other posts, you know that that's the issue we've been discussing - the parents need to familiarize their kids with the ship and with a plan of action in case something like this happens, so they know what to do and don't have any reason to be frightened and to panic.

I wasn't trying to be mean, I was just honestly curious. My son is 9 and on our last cruise he decided he didn't want to go to the show with camp, so the counselors made him sign out when they left for the lounge. He got some ice cream on the lido deck then went back to the room to play his Nintendo DS and wait for me to return.

I think it's important, particularly when your kids are old enough to sign out of Camp Carnival on their own, that they are very familiar with the ship and how to get back to their cabin should anything happen. This might be a good thread to help alert people to the importance of helping kids get familiar with the layout of the ship and how to return to their room from Camp Carnival and other spots on the ship. This way they won't get upset or scared if they need to sign out for some reason, or need to find their room without their parents.

In my opinion I don't think a 9 or 10 year old is old enough to sign themselves out of camp to wander a ship alone - to me that is just simply irresponsible on Carnivals part. I know for sure if I left my 9 year old alone in the house (a place that she knows) and if CPS (child protective services) heard of that I would probably lose my daughter. I really hope that Carnival changes that policy because it is not in the best interest of the children.

Wow, more serious measures:eek:. Our 8 y/o can find his way around, though he probally would have went to the game room instead of the cabin. Just finished reading Cruise Confidential and certainly agree with the author about some Americans, always trying to get something "free". I guess if you spilled "hot" coffee on yourself you would take "more serious measures to."

Notice this would be OP's 1st post also

My daughter would probably be able to find her way - but seriously would I let her? No. For the chances of her getting lost or having something worse happen to her are far greater than spilling hot coffee on yourself.

In my opinion I don't think a 9 or 10 year old is old enough to sign themselves out of camp to wander a ship alone - to me that is just simply irresponsible on Carnivals part. I know for sure if I left my 9 year old alone in the house (a place that she knows) and if CPS (child protective services) heard of that I would probably lose my daughter. I really hope that Carnival changes that policy because it is not in the best interest of the children.

No, it's up to the parents to make sure that the child can not sign themselves out...Carnival is not the parent.

As you can see by some of the posts here, there are people who are OK with this.

Everyone is different, I would not be Ok with this at all but that doesn't mean I'm wrong or right, it's just my parenting style....obviously it's not how most parents do it or Carnival wouldn't have the sign out age so low.

If the scenerio is as the OP stated, it doesn't make sense that the child signed out of her own accord. She freaked after she was out of there....so I can't believe she signed herself out.

Either the CCL crew member screwed up big time OR the OP is a troll.

It would be better if it were the latter....but in the mean time, this makes people a little more aware which is good.

Edited by halos

If Mom & Dad know how the child is...why did they sign to let her sign herself out of Camp Carnival.

No, it's up to the parents to make sure that the child can not sign themselves out...Carnival is not the parent.

You Are right, i did NOT sign for my DD to check herself out when she was that age, as a matter of fact, the first year she could actually leave on her own, i gave her instructions to wait for me to get her for the first few days, until a felt she could find me and her way around on her own.

If Mom & Dad know how the child is...why did they sign to let her sign herself out of Camp Carnival.

why are people assuming they did?? :confused: Did I miss something?

why are people assuming they did?? :confused: Did I miss something?

The OP said "My daughter felt confused and forced to sign out so she left"

Don't know if its the same now but when my kids where that age, If you do not allow your child to sign themselves out, they will have no sign out sheet, unless they made her sign out on the parental main sheet that is up by the door.....if that were the case, someone should have been fired.

Don't know about anyone else but thats why i was assuming.

The OP said "My daughter felt confused and forced to sign out so she left"

Don't know if its the same now but when my kids where that age, If you do not allow your child to sign themselves out, they will have no sign out sheet, unless they made her sign out on the parental main sheet that is up by the door.....if that were the case, someone should have been fired.

Don't know about anyone else but thats why i was assuming.

Oh, ok...the way I took it was that she wasn't supposed to sign herself out, but she was allowed by the staff to do so.

Unfortunately, since the OP hasn't come back to answer questions, we may never know.

Edited by halos

Oh, ok...the way I took it was that she wasn't supposed to sign herself out, but she was allowed by the staff to do so.

Unfortunately, since the OP hasn't come back to answer questions, we may never know.

I'm not going to assume that the camp staff has never ever made this mistake, but I do have to say that with the current protocol, it would be VERY difficult for such a mistake to take place. The children who are allowed to sign themselves out are in their own binder, with the names already printed up for each session. The kids whose parents must sign them in/out are printed in a different binder and this binder is kept with the other parent sign-in binders (for the younger age groups). With this system, if a child tries to sign out on their own, the counselor will look in the binder and see that the child's name is not printed in it - so there's no way they could sign themselves out. It's a pretty fool-proof system, and the counselors are very strict about these rules being followed (for obvious reasons).

For those of you who think the staff of Camp Carnival 'should' be fired if she made an error while performing her duties..........The next time you make an honest mistake at YOUR job I really hope you march right into your bosses office and DEMAND your pink slip because that really would be the right thing to do.....God knows we humans aren't allowed to make mistakes!!!!!!!! Some of you are unbelievable :rolleyes:

Law or not.........does not take a rocket scientist to know that is wrong:rolleyes:

Edited by Kurbanfan

For those of you who think the staff of Camp Carnival 'should' be fired if she made an error while performing her duties..........The next time you make an honest mistake at YOUR job I really hope you march right into your bosses office and DEMAND your pink slip because that really would be the right thing to do.....God knows we humans aren't allowed to make mistakes!!!!!!!! Some of you are unbelievable :rolleyes:

My DH works in the food/beverage manufacturing industry.

As sad as it sounds, mistakes that could cause people harm, even if it's one mistake...can get your azz fired.

Think about that the next time you eat or drink ANYTHING. You do so without thought because of strict enforcements. You don't worry when you pop a can of Pepsi or eat a Twinkie that the cleaning fluid they use in the plant or the oil used to lube the machines got into your food....

Making a mistake at some jobs is not a big deal...for others it is.

In the case of a child's welfare, the same strictness might/should apply.

Edited by halos

Totally depends on the mistake;) All mistakes are not created equal..........

Edited by Kurbanfan

Law or not.........does not take a rocket scientist to no that is wrong:rolleyes:

:eek:

sounds like someone needs to update some laws in LA

leaving 5 and 6 year olds home alone is LEGAL anywhere????

I just don't believe it.......

Edited by halos