Carnival lost my daughter from Camp Carnival

blondee007

[quote name='tammi0916']What is miss torrie?:confused:[/quote]Infamous poster that started a dubious story and never returned to close it out. The thread had a huge number of mostly rediculous comments. It's thought the poster went on to sign-up with many different user names just to post more dubious stories just to provoke comment and stir up the natives in here. They were mostly successful, LOL.

[quote name='Nezmo']Infamous poster that started a dubious story and never returned to close it out. The thread had a huge number of mostly rediculous comments. It's thought the poster went on to sign-up with many different user names just to post more dubious stories just to provoke comment and stir up the natives in here. They were mostly successful, LOL.[/quote]

I don't believe that. I think she was just one of the many posters that post before their cruise never to return (unless they had something to gripe about of course).

The only reason I can think that this OP did not return to post further was that their attorney may have asked them to keep a lid on all talk of the incident. Other than that...... FLAME AWAY!!!!!!!!! You gotta love ONE HIT WONDERS!!!!!!

[quote name='sailaway anyday']may not be anything honest to this post. there has been no response to any other posts on this thread. sound phony to me. would have been more belevable if the poster responded to other posts and not just having one post on the site. it is a terrible thing to happen to a child if true[/QUOTE]

Especially after the gracious welcome they received! ;-)

[quote name='Rochmom']

Bottom line, even if you think you are always going to be right there with your child, the unexpected can happen. It's a parent's obligation to prepare their children for it.[/quote]

Our son is only two, so him signing in/out or being anywhere on the ship alone (intentionally) was totally out of the question. But, we wanted to help him get familiar with everything, and learn (as much as a 2-year-old can) where his cabin was. So when we got in the elevator going anywhere, we'd tell him where we were going and what number and letter floor it was. When we got off on the floor for our cabin, we'd have him lead us to the room, and he was usually right. We also ended up purchasing the two-way radios, since my husband was the one it ended up being hard to keep up with on the ship! Those were very handy, and would be great to give an older child or teen to help keep up with them.

I think too many people today do not take responsibility for their actions or decisions and when something happens that could have turned out badly they want someone else to "pay" for it in order to make us feel better about the decision we made. I think each child is different. I know my oldest dd would have been totally capable at 10 to sign out. Her memory is impeccable and she has a lot of common sense. My youngest, not so sure. Love her to death but on the opposite end of the responsiblity pole!!!! She probably would not sit in a stairwell crying but I doubt she would go straight back to the room!!!! She would probably be the one in the elevator pushing all the buttons...if she could. Both have the same parenting but vastly different personalities. When I have to make these decisions for the girls I have to take into account who would handle it properly and who would not and if it's the wrong decision I certainly hope I would own up to it.

[quote name='ib4cruzn']Especially after the gracious welcome they received! ;-)[/quote]

Considering the forum is split between sympathy and calling BS, I'm not exactly sure what type of welcome you expected the OP to receive. They came in here, guns-ablazin' with allusions to a lawsuit and accusations as well as a story with more holes than a piece of Swiss cheese. Even *if* they are telling the truth, their manner in which they did it is, shall we say, less than stellar. Did you really think the Welcome Wagon's gonna come rolling around for something like that? On this forum? Or any forum on the internet? :rolleyes:

[quote name='Sherrybaby412']My daughter is 16 and this is my biggest fear. When we cruise, she is with me. If she must go to room alone, she texts me when she gets there and again when she leaves. There are too many sickos everywhere.[/QUOTE]

If your daughter is 16, there are a lot more dangers in the "real world" than on a cruise ship. Try the 16 year old boys in her class! I would hope a 16 year old would be capable of being on a cruise ship by herself and allowed a little free time on her own. What are you going to do two years from now when she is considered "legal" and can legally make all her own decisions without asking your permission?! How about walkie talkies for these kids so in case they ever find themselves in the position the ops daughter did, they can just call Mon and Dad.
Pat

If the OP gave the child sign out priviledges then they were the ones who were responsible for letting their child know where they were and how to get to their room.

If the OP did not give the child sign out priviledges then Carnival was responsible for keeping her at CC until the parents arrived.

Seems pretty clear cut. The only question is whether or not the OP gave the child sign out privledges. OP doesn't seem to want to answer that question.

It is up to the parent to decide if their child can handle the priviledge of signing in/out. Some children can follow the rules set by the parents and should be allowed the priviledge and some children are not given rules or can not follow them and should not be given the priviledge.

My children go over the layout of the ship with me before we even sail so they know where our room is and how to get to it. When we board we take a tour of the ship and make sure they know how to get to our room. My children are older now DS(14) and DD(12). They have been sailing since they were 4 and 7. I did not allow them to go off without us until our last cruise when they were 12 and 10. DS was allowed to go off by himself on the last cruise, DD could only go with us or with DS but not by herself unless it was to go straight back to the room or come to where we were - no wondering around. Neither of them liked going to the kids clubs so we do not even bother with it anymore. I will keep this rule again on our next cruise. But they know they must let us know where they are going and they know where we are, they don't go off with other kids or go in anyone elses cabins, and they know what proper behavior is on elevators and stairs. No my kids won't be the ones on running wild because they know that is not allowed. They have been brought up to follow the rules and when they sometimes break one (which is rare) they punish themselves more than I ever would by being afraid of what I would say or do (and I've only had to raise my to voice to them on rare occassion and that was enough to upset them enough for them never to do it again). They are both straight A students, very athletic, and have never had a disciplinary problem at school or sports. They are very mature and disciplined.

A lot of kids are not like that and do not have that sense of right and wrong or are not mature or disciplined enough to handle the freedom. Those are the kids that need to have the sign out priviledges taken away and should not be allowed to roam the ship. As parents we are responsible to know if they can handle it or not - Carnival does not know our kids and gives us the responsibility to decide if they can handle it or not. Each child is different. We need to decide based on our child.

[quote name='cailysmummy']I think too many people today do not take responsibility for their actions or decisions and when something happens that could have turned out badly they want someone else to "pay" for it in order to make us feel better about the decision we made. I think each child is different. I know my oldest dd would have been totally capable at 10 to sign out. Her memory is impeccable and she has a lot of common sense. My youngest, not so sure. Love her to death but on the opposite end of the responsiblity pole!!!! She probably would not sit in a stairwell crying but I doubt she would go straight back to the room!!!! She would probably be the one in the elevator pushing all the buttons...if she could. Both have the same parenting but vastly different personalities. When I have to make these decisions for the girls I have to take into account who would handle it properly and who would not and if it's the wrong decision I certainly hope I would own up to it.[/QUOTE]

LAO! You just described my two granddaughters to a T!

[quote name='LemurCat']Considering the forum is split between sympathy and calling BS, I'm not exactly sure what type of welcome you expected the OP to receive. They came in here, guns-ablazin' with allusions to a lawsuit and accusations as well as a story with more holes than a piece of Swiss cheese. Even *if* they are telling the truth, their manner in which they did it is, shall we say, less than stellar. Did you really think the Welcome Wagon's gonna come rolling around for something like that? On this forum? Or any forum on the internet? :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

I think they would have been wise to read for awhile first before posting. Many first time posters have a life outside message boards and are not aware of the power and insensitivity anonimity brings. Simple as that.

[quote name='Sherrybaby412']My daughter is 16 and this is my biggest fear. When we cruise, she is with me. If she must go to room alone, she texts me when she gets there and again when she leaves. There are too many sickos everywhere.[/quote]

16? Wow. She's less than two years from adulthood and probably even less to being on her way to college. You may want to let her develop some life skills so she can handle those upcoming transitions.

[quote name='ib4cruzn']I think they would have been wise to read for awhile first before posting. Many first time posters have a life outside message boards and are not aware of the power and insensitivity anonimity brings. Simple as that.[/quote]

No, it's not as simple as that. To post to a forum without lurking it first and getting the lay of the land is bad manners. If you have enough time to post such a screed, you've had enough to read up on things and know how a forum rolls. There's no excusing bad manner, even on the internet. If a person just doesn't care and posts regardless, they're cruising for an argument.

People always bring up the "will be going to college soon" statement. Not everyone goes to college-LOL. 18 doesn't necessarily mean "don't listen to your parents/youre on your own/do whatever you want". I had rules to follow until I moved out of the house at 21 and my grown child does too.

[quote name='ib4cruzn']I think they would have been wise to read for awhile first before posting. Many first time posters have a life outside message boards and are not aware of the power and insensitivity anonimity brings. Simple as that.[/quote]

Yep.........

[quote name='LemurCat']No, it's not as simple as that. To post to a forum without lurking it first and getting the lay of the land is bad manners. If you have enough time to post such a screed, you've had enough to read up on things and know how a forum rolls. There's no excusing bad manner, even on the internet. If a person just doesn't care and posts regardless, they're cruising for an argument.[/QUOTE]

Still, I'll stick with my first thought, thanks. :-)

[QUOTE] Posted by Sherrybaby412
My daughter is 16 and this is my biggest fear. When we cruise, she is with me. If she must go to room alone, she texts me when she gets there and again when she leaves. There are too many sickos everywhere.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='80sramfan']16? Wow. She's less than two years from adulthood and probably even less to being on her way to college. You may want to let her develop some life skills so she can handle those upcoming transitions.[/QUOTE]

The thing is, 80sramfan, is that your snarky manner in commenting to sherrybaby is more about you trying to show how [B]your[/B] way of raising kids is better than hers, than it is about trying to give another parent helpful advice. So your valid message gets lost in the snarky manner you presented it.

[quote name='Perfect Stranger']People always brings up the "will be going to college soon" statement. Not everyone goes to college-LOL. 18 doesn't necessarily mean "don't listen to your parents/youre on your own/do whatever you want". I had rules to follow until I moved out of the house at 21 and my grown child does too.[/quote]

No, but 18 does mean they have the legal right to move out of your house, not go to school and decide what they want to do with their life. You could have chosen to move out at 18 and your folks couldn't have said a word to you. You could have chosen to go into the military or become a missionary. Or you could have chosen to remain under your parents' roof. The point is, at 18 you have the CHOICE to do as you please. It's the responsibility of the parent to have the kid ready to face that. (Whether or not the kid *wants* to face it is another issue ...)

[quote name='GreenZolie']The thing is, 80sramfan, is that your snarky manner in commenting to sherrybaby is more about you trying to show how [B]your[/B] way of raising kids is better than hers, than it is about trying to give another parent helpful advice. So your valid message gets lost in the snarky manner you presented it.[/quote]

Nothing "snarky" about it.

[quote name='Perfect Stranger']People always bring up the "will be going to college soon" statement. Not everyone goes to college-LOL. 18 doesn't necessarily mean "don't listen to your parents/youre on your own/do whatever you want". I had rules to follow until I moved out of the house at 21 and my grown child does too.[/quote]

Not everyone does but pretty much everyone should. Everyone who has the mental capacity has the option to go to college. You can go for free if you want. You can have the military pay or you can just work your way through (I know work is a bad word nowadays). In this day and age it's a pretty good idea to go to college if you want to have the money to continue the crusiing habit later in life

[quote name='ib4cruzn']I think they would have been wise to read for awhile first before posting. Many first time posters have a life outside message boards and are not aware of the power and insensitivity anonimity brings. Simple as that.[/QUOTE]

AMEN to that. I strongly believe that most of the people who are so blunt and critical on any message board, do so only because of the anonymity, and are probably not that way in person. Surely they couch their words a little more diplomatically in person?

[quote name='Perfect Stranger']People always bring up the "will be going to college soon" statement. Not everyone goes to college-LOL. 18 doesn't necessarily mean "don't listen to your parents/youre on your own/do whatever you want". I had rules to follow until I moved out of the house at 21 and my grown child does too.[/QUOTE]
You're absolutely right but not allowing a teenager to start having some freedom is only begging for trouble later on. One of our jobs as a parent is to help our children to grow into resposible adults-that's kind of hard to do if they are never allowed to have some independence. Just my opinion.
Pat

[quote name='GreenZolie']AMEN to that. I strongly believe that most of the people who are so blunt and critical on any message board, do so only because of the anonymity, and are probably not that way in person. Surely they couch their words a little more diplomatically in person?[/quote]

Most do. Some don't. ;)

Nope, not everyone has the mental capacity, can go for free or have the military pay. That's a blanket statement. Anyway, "starting" college and "graduating" are two different things. An article in our newspaper yesterday said only about HALF of students who begin college fulltime obtain a bachelor's degree within six years. But we're off subject now aren't we?

Archived