Cabin on Star Flyer for Oct/09

Lotuslips

Hello: WE are going on the Star flyer in October to Tahiti ..the 10 day and the 7 day back to backand I am booked to share with someone. Our cabin is Cat 5 #404. Its an inside cabin which I don't mind. Don't intend to be in it very often and I'm easy going about stuff like noise. Earplugs work fine . It is fairly close to the dining room , it looks like and quite a bit forward. Will there be a lot of rocking and rolling at this point or do they stay in calm water for the most part. Do they travel at night?

Thanks for info. Got great info when I posted about snorkeling.

How much motion you experience depends mostly on the weather (things like ocean currents also count). However, you've picked a fairly calm time of year to travel in French Polynesia and should experience pretty good weather. The problem with calm weather is the reduced time for sailing -- the very thing for which most people pick a sailing ship! The Star Flyer will travel at night most of the time (there are few overnight stops. Yet again, the ship travels during the day too. About the only time the ship's officers worry about calm waters is during dinner time (sick passengers, spilled food, etc.) and overnight stops.

Hi, see you live in Victoria as well. We've been looking at the 10 day Tahiti cruise with the 7 day one to follow. Who did you do your booking thru - what kind of price did you pay? See there's an online agency in New York that is offering the 10 day cruise with the 7 day for free if you book now? Any info is appreciated!

Hi: Not sure how to answer you privately so won't quote the price but I booked through Travltips ( note the missing 'e") who are in New York and online. I have belonged to them ( $25 per year) and done a trip before by booking with them. Have been pleased. If someone can tell me how to respond privately I'll give you the details. It includes free air from Los Angeles.

Hi - yes i've seen their ad on-line and had a response already so am sure it's the same price - book the 10 cruise with air from lax and get the following 7 day cruise for free? Yes, i would have liked to ask you privately but not sure how to do it on this web site? We're seriously looking at doing that trip so maybe we'll meet up with you on it!

• 2 weeks later...

The two ship's excursions that we took were truly wonderful. We would highly recommend them!! One was the HELMET DIVE on Bara Bora. You descend 10 feet below the surface with a helmet over your head which permits you to breath normally underwater, and you can even wear your glasses (I don't snorkel due to the need for glasses, being very near-sighted)There were at least 100 varieties of fish swimming very close to us - amazing!! You have about 30 minutesof viewing time. If there are enough people for 2 groups, you also get about 30 minutes of snorkeling time, while the other group is diving. My husband said the snorkelling was also very good. The other was the DOLPHIN WATCH with Dr. Michael Poole , who is a world famous expert on dolphins and whales. Dr. Poole is very personable and interesting. We boarded a covered boat, and within minutes of casting off, there were dolphins playing about 40 yard off the boat. Each of the passengers spent some time sitting up at the bow, and when it was our turn, there were dolphins swimming right in front of it, so they were 5-6 feet below us. Incredible!!! WE spent about 1 1/2 hours watching the dolphins swmiming and playing, then as they moved away, we cruised around the lagoon, observing the huge yachts moored there and learning about the area, and about dolphin lifestyles. Don't miss it!

Vincent15 if you really like snorkelling, perhaps you can have the glass in your snorkeling gear adjusted to your eye sight. A dive shop should be able to give you advice on this.

Just let you know.

Glad you had a nice trip. I am on the reposition cruise next February, so still 7 1/2 months to go, but already two down. Can't wait.

Pralientje

Archived