ssatterly

Radiance Review part 1.. 12/5/04 to 12/12/04

Radiance of the Sea’s Review! 12/4/2004 to 12/12/2004

First off let me begin by telling you a bit about us. I have cruised 3 times before and my boyfriend this was his 1st cruise. Both of my other cruises were on Carnival Cruise Lines.

Pre-cruise:

We had an early flight with only about 20 people on the whole thing; we practically had the plane to ourselves. Now the flight from Detroit to Miami now that was a different story, the plane was overbooked and loud, the landing was rough and hard. But we lived through it. We flew Northwest Airlines, but over all I would fly them again. We stayed at the Sheraton Biscayne Bay Hotel. What a great hotel it is. We had a room overlooking the bay but not the ships. This was fine due to the fact it was still a great view. After we checked in we went to Bayside market place and ate lunch at Bubba Gump Shrimp Co. It was great. If you like shrimp then go eat here. It is a must. After lunch we walk around Bayside and did some shopping. We then went to Hard Rock Café and had some desert. We then went back to the hotel to get some rest for the big day. We took a cab to the port and it cost about $11 not bad at all.

Embarkation:

This was a breeze we got to the port at about 10:00 am and we were having lunch in the Windjammer at 11:30 am. Lunch was very good we were both very hungry. We walked around the ship until our cabin was ready.

Cabin:

We had cabin 7092 what a nice cabin. It has a VERY large balcony I personally loved it. The only bad thing about it is that you can not look directly down into the water. Tons of storage space for luggage and a nice size room. It was bigger than I had expected. Now the bath room was tiny but it served its purpose well. I did hate the shower curtain it sticks to your tush. Our cabin was next to the elevators and we never heard then the 1st time. It was nice to be so close to the elevators.

Ship:

All I can say is WOW. I had to pick my jaw up off the ground when I saw her beauty in person. Pictures do not do this ship justice. All the glass everywhere there was not a bad view from this ship. You can see the ocean where ever you are. I won’t go into detail about the ship due to the fact that so many other reviews do.

Cabin Stewards:

Well I do think that the 2 that were taking care of my cabin needed to be trained a bit more. I asked for extra pillows on the 1st night and was told ok no problem; well I never got them so I asked again the next night and was told the same thing. So on the 3rd night I asked once more and I was told that they were out and that I should have asked sooner and that they were now out of extra pillows. Well I did ask sooner and never got them. So I went to guest relations and I made them aware and needless to say I had extra pillows that night. Then one day I asked for beach towels and I was towels sure and 1 hour later I still had not got them so I went and found them and got them myself. Also they never changed the sheets on our bed they only made up the bed with the old sheets. Well needless to say after I went to guest relations again my sheets were changed. But other than those small things I did not have a problem with them.

Food:

Everything we ate was oh so very good. I miss it already. I think our best meal was the lobster. Our Waiter and Astaint Waiter were the best. We had later seating which worked out great. I would do late seating again in a heart beat. We ate at all the restaurants except the Solarium Pool and Chops. They were all great.

Murder Mystery Dinner:

This was so fun and well worth the extra money. The food was to die for and the service was great. If you go try to get seated with the charter named Madam Veluca. She was so funny and played the part so well. Only 75 people can attend and there is only one per cruise and it sells out very fast. So book it as soon as you get on the ship.

Soda Card:

The soda card cam to $48.30 for an adult, but was well worth it for my boyfriend he drank at least 6 sodas a day and sometimes more. The Childs soda package was less. This may not be worth it to some but it was well worth it for my boyfriend

Great review!

What do you do with your luggage till your room is ready? I can only picture all the passengers dragging around their carry-ons to lunch. Yikes.

Was the price for the soda card for 2 adults? That seems a little steep for one adult.

They had a room we could store our carry on's in if we wanted to or carry them around with us. Yes that pirce is for 1 adult but that inclueds the 15% added tip. So the card was $24 plus 15%. But if you add it up a soda ran about $1.83 each after 15% was added my Boy friend drank about 6 or more a day. so that would have been $76.86 in soda alone just for him. So for us we saved a ton of money with that card.

Thanks for the review we are going to Hawaii in Sept and is nice to here other peoples thoughts on the ship. I know my wife is really excited and can hardly wait to slip.

Please explain a bit more about the murder mystery dinner; have never heard of this before. Where is it held? What is the charge? How long did it last?

It was held in Portiphino's it was $49 pp. It was about 2 hours long. It inclued all the wine and champagne you could drink with dinner. It was a 6 course meal. Food was out of this world. And it was on Wensday night of the cruise. Only 75 people can go so sign up the 1st day it did and will sell out.

It was a great evening - we only had about 40 in ours - so they do not always sell out - if you get the killer and the motive then you win a prize - bottle of bubbly is usual.

I will not tell who did it - as it is the same every week, and would spoil the fun.

Does one sign up for the murder mystery dinner at Portofino's, once you get on board? Just curious. Thanks!

A couple of questions.Can you tell me what food they served and do you remember which night is Caribbean night?We are sailing this Sunday and also have one of the hump cabins.I can't wait!!!

Cabin:

We had cabin 7092 what a nice cabin. It has a VERY large balcony I personally loved it. The only bad thing about it is that you can not look directly down into the water. Tons of storage space for luggage and a nice size room. It was bigger than I had expected. Now the bath room was tiny but it served its purpose well. I did hate the shower curtain it sticks to your tush. Our cabin was next to the elevators and we never heard then the 1st time. It was nice to be so close to the elevators.

Are all cabins like 7092 in that you cannot look directly down into the water. What did you see when you looked down? I am thinking of booking a cabin on deck 9 and really would not like obstructions to the view.