A soldier in Iraq needs help with a southern caribbean honeymoon

sallywingate

Hi

My future son-in-law is a Navy LT in Iraq. He was given the job of taking care of researching the ports of call on the Nordam, Jan. 4, 2010 after their wedding on Jan. 2. He e-mailed me the other day to ask for "honeymoon" help. The Internet in Iraq works very slow and he is having a hard time searching the websites.

The islands that they will visit are Half Moon Cay, Bahamas, Grand Turk, Turks & Caicos, Samana Dominican Rep., Bonaire, Curacao, & Aruba. They love the water and are scuba certified but still want a mix of activities when they arrive at the ports. Anyone have ideas, tour guides, excursions, things to do and see, websites, etc.? They are not opposed to doing the islands on their own once they arrive.

Thanks for any suggestions - I need to start somewhere and always have good luck & fun with Cruise Critic.

Sally

Be sure to go snorkeling or scuba diving in Bonaire. It is spectacular.

I agree! Be sure to wear "water shoes", the beaches aer tough on the feet.

Samana ... Cayo Levantado (sp) is an island with a beautiful beach. It is east to make a day of it!

Congrats to your son, and thank him for his service!

Ken

I don't have a lot of suggestions, but wanted to wish the happy couple a great honeymoon, and life to follow!

That said, I have been to both Half Moon Cay and Grand Turk ... HMC is beautiful, and there are various things to do there. My favorite, I think, was renting a Hobie Cat and sailing for an hour or two. In Grand Turk, we did a dune buggy excursion ... not so much dune, but a lot of buggy as they led us on a tour completely around the island (on paved roads). There's not much at Grand Turk, and I think most people tend to hang out at the pool party at Margaritaville.

First, Thank you future son-in-law for protecting us! Second, every port mentioned has wonderful opportunities to snorkel, dive, swim, etc. and they will love them all. Most times, we tend to do the cruiseline's excursions..Never have to wonder if a bus/trolley/car breaks down and we don't get back in time. It's worth the free extra $$ per person.

We're doing 14 nights 10-30-09 repo..We may also just check into some 'local' horse and buggy rides, which can easily do on our own or early day sightseeing, then back to the ship.

They will have a marvelous time on their Honeymoon. After all, how bad can anything be when you're honeymooning? Everything is better!

Good luck and blessing to them !!!

Congrats to your daughter and future son-in-law. If you have their booking # you could print out the excursions and the prices offered by the ship. We are going on the same intinerary in March and most of the excursions are available online. Maybe you could print them out for him or copy them into an e-mail and send it to him. Prayers for his safety are also included.

Aruba's hotel-beach strip is undoubtedly likeable, but to see some real Aruba terrain, horseback riding through the national park to the natural pool is very cool. We went with Dancho Daimari and had a great time, they offer pier to pier transfers. If you go in the AM you may also have time to hit one of tourist beaches in the afternoon (we did). They offer a variety of horses (from gentle for the inexperienced to spunky) and will allow a gallop through the dunes if you know what you're doing and want to cut loose.

http://www.visitaruba.com/ranchodaimari/#rancho

I'll add to those thanking your future SIL for serving his country.

Just a thought: Half Moon Cay offers private cabanas for rent (under the SHORE EXCURSION section). For our upcoming October cruise, they're $299 for the cabana for the day. They include snorkel gear, floating mats, soft drinks/bottled water, and a wonderful place to rest and relax while on the island.

This is a GREAT wedding gift for them to receive! Might be something nice for friends or family to chip in for as a very memorable gift.

The cabana can also be upgraded to include a butler, for an additional $279 (on our cruise).

Note: cabanas sell out quickly. So it's best to book as early as possible.

There are photos of the cabanas here: http://farm1.static.flickr.com/108/296583013_6fa96f5e51_o.jpg

Aruba

A very romantic restaurant on the beach (for dinner-only if ship sails around 10pm or later) http://www.theoldmanandthesearestaurant.com/

It is about 20 dollar each way cab ride from the pier (and about 20 minutes)...I used Bullytaxi79@hotmail.com to set up pick up and drop off...they were punctual. Bully also arranges short tours of the island.

Bonaire.... Klein Bonaire for snorkling. Great scuba. There were some good private tour operators on the Bonaire board

I hope they have a great time and you have fun doing the research. Whenever I do the research for friends I ended up getting the bug to travel/cruise there myself...So, when is your cruise booked? LOL

My fiance and I are also taking the same cruise (different date though) for our honeymoon. I've been to Aruba before and would definitely recommend doing an island tour. It's a small island and if you can find someone to take you around, it's definitely worth it. I had friends living in Aruba, but taxis should be able to do the same thing. Good luck and congratulations to the happy couple!

Again, Please Thank your future SIL for his service and your Daughter's devotion and dedication. I know it is not easy as I am a Blue Star Mother with a son in Iraq.

I was on the NOORDAM in May/09, it is a wonderful ship! wonderful staff! If he can do it upgrade to a suite, they will love the Verandah.

Happy HONEYMOON!

My future son-in-law is a Navy LT in Iraq. He was given the job of taking care of researching the ports of call on the Nordam, Jan. 4, 2010 after their wedding on Jan. 2. He e-mailed me the other day to ask for "honeymoon" help. The Internet in Iraq works very slow and he is having a hard time searching the websites.

The islands that they will visit are Half Moon Cay, Bahamas, Grand Turk, Turks & Caicos, Samana Dominican Rep., Bonaire, Curacao, & Aruba. They love the water and are scuba certified but still want a mix of activities when they arrive at the ports. Anyone have ideas, tour guides, excursions, things to do and see, websites, etc.? They are not opposed to doing the islands on their own once they arrive.

Thanks for any suggestions - I need to start somewhere and always have good luck & fun with Cruise Critic.

Sally

Snorkelling in Turks in Caicos, there is an excursion with the ship they take you to an island where you snorkel with Stingray, fish etc etc. It was great, definitely recommend it.

Thank you to your son in law & daughter for theiur service(my Dad was Navy WWll/ Normandy invasion).....

Bonnaire is a spectacular dive destination and Curacao is great for snorkeling....I rented a scooter on Bonnaire & explored the island...not much there but the diving is a must!!!!

Mopeds & jeeps are readily available to rent in the islands and are reasonable / flexible..I did it on my own after walking off the ship!!!

Enjoy & congradulations!!!!

Hi

Sally

The water temperature in Grand Turk and Half Moon Cay in January can be quite cool while the A,B C islands are quite warm in Jan. (okay, Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao.) We did the stingray program at Half Moon Cay and it was cold in Dec.

Archived