Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Q-T pi

Making sure Im making good decisions! Cabo, PV , Mazatlan.

Ok taking splendor in August to MR.

Have decided on stone island with horseback riding in Maz. Planning on booking thru Johan and Sandra. Comments??

Cabo, snorkeling, we only have from 7 to 3 there. Thinking of booking thru ship as Johan and sandra are only 3 dollars cheaper. Comments??

PV I read the threads related to the Outdoor adventure with the mule ride and zip, rapel and rope bridge. So heres the questions. This can be booked thru Johan and s. is this good? What kind of shape do you have to be in?? Rapelling hard for 48 yr old newbies??? How much hiking? Anything else to be concerned about?? Oh the time thing, if we dock at 10 what time to book it??

as for the time thing what is the difference in cabo and maz.?? Also in Maz. we might add ATV w/ the horses, too much??

Thanks for any input!!!!!!!!!

I'm there in July. Doing the Zipline with Los Veranos in P.V, Stone Island in Maz and snorkeling in Cabo. I'll let you know how it goes. I posted a thread on the times too got some good info take a look at it. From the info I got, the 11:45 zipline tour will work.

Have decided on stone island with horseback riding in Maz. Planning on booking thru Johan and Sandra. Comments??

Cabo, snorkeling, we only have from 7 to 3 there. Thinking of booking thru ship as Johan and sandra are only 3 dollars cheaper. Comments??

PV I read the threads related to the Outdoor adventure with the mule ride and zip, rapel and rope bridge. So heres the questions. This can be booked thru Johan and s. is this good? What kind of shape do you have to be in?? Rapelling hard for 48 yr old newbies??? How much hiking? Anything else to be concerned about?? Oh the time thing, if we dock at 10 what time to book it??

as for the time thing what is the difference in cabo and maz.?? Also in Maz. we might add ATV w/ the horses, too much??

Haven't done it myself yet, but after doing some research if you want to do the horseriding in Mazatlan, Randi's Happy Horse seems to be a favorite. We booked with them, but won't be there until August as well. Still trying to figure out the rest of the stops.

Haven't done it myself yet, but after doing some research if you want to do the horseriding in Mazatlan, Randi's Happy Horse seems to be a favorite. We booked with them, but won't be there until August as well. Still trying to figure out the rest of the stops.

We too booked Randi's for our July 19th sailing on the Splendor.. Can write back when we return

Thanks for all who replied looking forward to your reviews!!

With regard to the snorkeling in Cabo, I would make sure you are comparing apples to apples. A snorkeling trip with the ship will probably be on a 200 passenger party boat with not much personalized attention. A snorkeling trip through Johann & Sandra may be on a catamaran that holds from 20 to 60 people. Do they go to the same place. There are a couple of snorkeling areas.

All things being equal, I would always pick the smaller, more personalized excursion.

Not the best place to snorkle due to water current in cabo.... very rough the majority of the time....

Not the best place to snorkle due to water current in cabo.... very rough the majority of the time....

Not at Santa Maria and Chilano Bays where the snorkle tours go. They are both protected coves and perfectly safe for snorkling!

Here's my two cents worth... Cabo -- we walked about 10 feet on the pier and were continually asked if we wanted to snorkel or take a boat ride. We decided to go with Pingino (penguin) for a 45 minute ride to see the arches and sea lions. It was $11/person and there were about 15 other people on board. We went to different beaches to pick up and drop off people. Honestly, the beaches can't compare to Cozumel's, but people didn't seem to mind. We finally departed for the arches and sea lion's and saw some fish through the glass bottom boat. It was much longer than the 45 minutes if you count picking up people. You definitely don't have to book this type of excursion through the cruise ship. We also enjoyed the shopping right next to the pier and never went to the "mall". There is also an outdoor flea market with good prices a little walk away.

Matzatlan -- It was raining, so I was glad we hadn't booked any excursions through the ship. We took a taxi ride $25 for 1 hour though Old Matzatlan, to the cathedral, to see the light house, cliff divers (it was pouring so we didn't see them), etc. We did a little shopping right next to the pier, because we didn't want to go to the Golden Zone. We probably would have gone to Stone Island if it hadn't been raining. But overall a nice time.

Puerta Vallarta -- We booked the Outdoor Adventure through the cruise ship $129. They use Vallarta Adventures for their tours. Like other have posted before, you cannot book this on your own if you are on a cruise ship. Also, I would not recommend that you do, as it is a LONG way from the cruise pier and if something happens, I wouldn't want to be left behind. I am 47 and not very brave. This was the most fun I have had in a long time. There is a speed boat ride, then an old army vehicle ride, then a mule ride before you even get to the ziplines. This takes approximately 1 1/2 hours. Ziplining- once you get over the initial fear of ziplining, it is very easy. Then you repel over waterfalls, walk across rope bridges and zipline some more. Please don't miss this tour, it is great. There was only one mishap... our boat ride back to the ship didn't show up for quite a while. The steering wasn't working correctly. Finally we left and about midway the steering stopped and two of the crew members held the motors and steered by hand. It was kind of scary, but we made it back! Overall time about 5 1/2 hours. Please don't miss this tour... it was fantastic! :) A few tips... wear old tennis shoes that you don't mind throwing away afterwards and old clothes or a bathing suit -- you will get wet. Bring a change of clothes for afterward. They lock up your stuff before you get on the mules. We didn't bring over $25 and that was a mistake. They have a professional photographer. Bring a credit card so you can buy your pictures. We are having to pay extra to have them ship the CD to us, because we didn't have money with us. Bring $20 or so for a tip for the tour guides. You can bring a camera and they will lock it up with your stuff. I can't vouch for the safety of your stuff, we left our camera on the ship. This company uses double ziplines for safety and we felt very secure. From what I hear some only use one rope for a zipline. Be prepared to stop at a tequila factory on the way back to the boat even if you aren't interested.

If you have any questions, post them and I will answer them. :)

That outdoor excursion really sounds fantastic! I wonder why my GF and I didn't see that one. Next time.

We did the Santa Maria snorkel thru Carnival a few years ago and had a great time. It was on a catamaran with maybe 40 people. Crew was very entertaining and made sure we all had fun.

In Mazatlan we've booked Randi's Happy Horses on Stone Island twice before and are going again in 2 weeks :D If you like horseback riding I can't recommend this trip enough.

Going on the Outdoor Adventure in PV (booked thru the ship) - thanks for the review, firstimer2! Question for you - do they feed you at all? And were there lots of bugs? Trying to decide if I need to bring bug spray. Thanks!

We did the Santa Maria snorkel thru Carnival a few years ago and had a great time. It was on a catamaran with maybe 40 people. Crew was very entertaining and made sure we all had fun.

In Mazatlan we've booked Randi's Happy Horses on Stone Island twice before and are going again in 2 weeks :D If you like horseback riding I can't recommend this trip enough.

Going on the Outdoor Adventure in PV (booked thru the ship) - thanks for the review, firstimer2! Question for you - do they feed you at all? And were there lots of bugs? Trying to decide if I need to bring bug spray. Thanks!

They give you salsa and chips at the end of the zipline part, as you are picking out your pictures. We didn't eat any, as we didn't want to get sick (bad experience in Xcaret, Riviera Maya side). There was also cups of water available in a big gatorade jug. Again, we didn't have any. I think there may have been soda to buy, but we were too busy looking at our pictures. If you eat a decent breakfast on the ship before you go, you will survive the 5 1/2 hours.

We didn't notice any bugs. You are pretty much continually moving. If you want to put on bug spray, do it while you are at the ship's pier, because Vallarta Adventures doesn't want to hurt the environment and doesn't like you to use it.

Also, The bathrooms at the mule place are pretty nice for a Mexico jungle. :)

You will love it!

Thanks for the great review. I think we will do that trip through the ship, sailing July 12. ANy other adventures you'd recommedn for two boys 17 & 18?

We are thinking of renting a couple of waverunners in Cabo as it is something we've never done. Do the waverunners have storage compartments for our stuff? Are they fairly watertight. The only thing we would really need to keep dry is the camera and we could put it inside a watertight bag.

Thanks for the great review. I think we will do that trip through the ship, sailing July 12. ANy other adventures you'd recommedn for two boys 17 & 18?

I had 2 girls 14 & 18, and we only did the Outdoor Adventure through the ship, so I can't recommend any others. But the Dune buggy rides looked fun. I think they are at Mazatlan? The 18 yr old might be able to drive them, but you better find out first. I know they were saying to bring a picture ID off the ship with your sea pass if you were renting things to drive. When you are cruising, anything is fun!! Have a great time. Be sure to see Simeon in the piano bar. See my review of the ship at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1015035&page=2

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We are thinking of renting a couple of waverunners in Cabo as it is something we've never done. Do the waverunners have storage compartments for our stuff? Are they fairly watertight. The only thing we would really need to keep dry is the camera and we could put it inside a watertight bag.

We definitely saw lots of wave runners. I think you can rent them right from the pier. The water was very choppy though, just to warn you. Not sure about the storage question. Hope someone else can answer that. Happy cruising!

Puerta Vallarta -- We booked the Outdoor Adventure through the cruise ship $129. They use Vallarta Adventures for their tours. Like other have posted before, you cannot book this on your own if you are on a cruise ship. Also, I would not recommend that you do, as it is a LONG way from the cruise pier and if something happens, I wouldn't want to be left behind.

Hi! I was wondering why you say that you can't book this on your own if you are on a ship, because I see a lot of websites saying that you can.

Any others that have booked this not through the ship?

Thanks!

Here's my two cents worth... Cabo -- we walked about 10 feet on the pier and were continually asked if we wanted to snorkel or take a boat ride.

Matzatlan -- It was raining, so I was glad we hadn't booked any excursions through the ship. We took a taxi ride $25 for 1 hour though Old Matzatlan, to the cathedral, to see the light house, cliff divers (it was pouring so we didn't see them), etc. We did a little shopping right next to the pier, because we didn't want to go to the Golden Zone. We probably would have gone to Stone Island if it hadn't been raining. But overall a nice time.

Puerta Vallarta -- We booked the Outdoor Adventure through the cruise ship $129. They use Vallarta Adventures for their tours. Like other have posted before, you cannot book this on your own if you are on a cruise ship. Also, I would not recommend that you do, as it is a LONG way from the cruise pier and if something happens, I wouldn't want to be left behind. I am 47 and not very brave. This was the most fun I have had in a long time. There is a speed boat ride, then an old army vehicle ride, then a mule ride before you even get to the ziplines. This takes approximately 1 1/2 hours. Ziplining- once you get over the initial fear of ziplining, it is very easy. Then you repel over waterfalls, walk across rope bridges and zipline some more. Please don't miss this tour, it is great. There was only one mishap... our boat ride back to the ship didn't show up for quite a while. The steering wasn't working correctly. Finally we left and about midway the steering stopped and two of the crew members held the motors and steered by hand. It was kind of scary, but we made it back! Overall time about 5 1/2 hours. Please don't miss this tour... it was fantastic! :) A few tips... wear old tennis shoes that you don't mind throwing away afterwards and old clothes or a bathing suit -- you will get wet. Bring a change of clothes for afterward. They lock up your stuff before you get on the mules. We didn't bring over $25 and that was a mistake. They have a professional photographer. Bring a credit card so you can buy your pictures. We are having to pay extra to have them ship the CD to us, because we didn't have money with us. Bring $20 or so for a tip for the tour guides. You can bring a camera and they will lock it up with your stuff. I can't vouch for the safety of your stuff, we left our camera on the ship. This company uses double ziplines for safety and we felt very secure. From what I hear some only use one rope for a zipline. Be prepared to stop at a tequila factory on the way back to the boat even if you aren't interested.

Great review thaank you very much!! Im 48--not a hard ship to hike and zip and repel???

Hi! I was wondering why you say that you can't book this on your own if you are on a ship, because I see a lot of websites saying that you can.

Any others that have booked this not through the ship?

Thanks!

Hi. I understand that Vallarta Adventures has an exclusive booking deal with the cruise ship. However, I have seen on this board that others have given a fake hotel and room number to book on their own. I still wouldn't recommend this, especially because of the time involved. You certainly wouldn't want to miss your ship leaving port. If you book through the ship, they won't leave without you even if the tour is late getting back.

Great review thaank you very much!! Im 48--not a hard ship to hike and zip and repel???
'

Hi QT pi,

I don't understand your question. Can you please restate it?

Lucky you -- going in just a few days!! :)

I went to PV on Carnival in April. I was told by many that I couldn't book the extreme canopy online, that I had to go through the cruise ship. I tried puerto vallarta tours online and they took my reservation knowing that I was coming in on Carnival. I saved about $50. And it was GREAT!!!!!! the tour and the guides were fantastic! Highly recommended. I don't recommend spending $80 on pictures. Leave your money on the ship. They do lock your stuff up. Oh, and I recommend "Keen's" for water shoes. You will get sopping went, and you do hike a ways.

Here's my two cents worth... Cabo -- we walked about 10 feet on the pier and were continually asked if we wanted to snorkel or take a boat ride. We decided to go with Pingino (penguin) for a 45 minute ride to see the arches and sea lions. It was $11/person and there were about 15 other people on board. We went to different beaches to pick up and drop off people. Honestly, the beaches can't compare to Cozumel's, but people didn't seem to mind. We finally departed for the arches and sea lion's and saw some fish through the glass bottom boat. It was much longer than the 45 minutes if you count picking up people. You definitely don't have to book this type of excursion through the cruise ship. We also enjoyed the shopping right next to the pier and never went to the "mall". There is also an outdoor flea market with good prices a little walk away.

Enjoyed your post- i do have a question- the boats that you can walk up to and take a ride to the arches and the beaches, do you feel that they are safe and will get you back to the ship on time?

Thanks Red

Enjoyed your post- i do have a question- the boats that you can walk up to and take a ride to the arches and the beaches, do you feel that they are safe and will get you back to the ship on time?

Thanks Red

Yes, they are safe. I would suggest that you take the ride first, then you don't have to worry about the time to get back to the ship. The penguin boat company had more than one boat, so if for some reason their engine died, they could come and exchange boats.

Just don't take their first price! They also charged a $1 pier fee after we had walked to the boat. I'm not sure if it was for the pier or for their pockets! Either way, it was a very cheap and enjoyable time. We also tipped our "captain".

Have a great cruise.... I'm missing it already. :)

Just don't take their first price! They also charged a $1 pier fee after we had walked to the boat. I'm not sure if it was for the pier or for their pockets! Either way, it was a very cheap and enjoyable time. We also tipped our "captain".

I think we will go to the arches and sea lion colony on our April cruise. What prices were they trying to charge you originally and what would be a reasonable price to pay? We will probably do this after getting off the ship and then shop & snack on fish tacos not far from the ship.:D