Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pedirn

Back from Radiance, Hopefully answers to your questions

Hopefully I can answer questions that I have seen posted on the boards regarding changes and rumors about the service/drinks on RCI. We did the Panama Canal cruise from Ft Lauderdale to San Diego. Great cruise, weather was okay (some rain, clouds, wind, and sun). I would definately say this is a cruise that should be on everyone's list as it was incredibale going through the canals.
Room was fine. As some of you know we had booked our first balcony (7108 with oversized balcony) and were really looking forward to it. On the Wed before sailing, received a call and they had overbooked balconies, offered us over half our money back to move to an ocean view room. We knew what we were getting as this was same category we had on Radiance before. Thought hard for about fifteen minutes and then decided $$$ back equaled at least one if not two more cruises. That said room was fine for two weeks for two adults and plenty of storage space.
Ranch steak is officially dead! On the first or second night our waiter announced that even though the menu offered it (menus preprinted) RCI has decided not to offer it anymore and would instead offer strip steak. Did not try that but others said it was good.
Free drinks....We found that coffee, tea, hot chocolate, milk, water, lemonade, orange juice and ice tea were offered 24 hours a day at the Thirst Quenchers area (just off Windjammer) and the the one located in back of Windjammer had ice machine.
Hair dryers....worked fine and I have chin length hair...but it was a challenge getting used to it the first couple of days since you had to hold the button in at all times.
Bathrooms. Yes the shower is small but managable. Best thing I found was when you opened the mirrored cabinet, it was mirrored on the inside also and allowed you to see all views of your hair. Made it much easier to do hair although no outlet in BR for hairdryer so had to hop up to BR to check back of hair.
Liqour....had no problem taking it on board at all...but it was packed in seperate suitcase and checked. Arrived fine. We also bought a couple of bottles on board. Paid $32 for two litre bottles of Crown Royal...asked about taking it to room and it was $9.50. That was per bottle not per package deal. They allowed us to take one bottle back to cabin and delivered second bottle around noon on last day. I cannot answer questions regarding bringing liqour onboard from ports as we did not do this. I can say that I did not see them taking it from anyone.
Coke cards...I have bought these in the past but opted not to on this cruise. With tax and tip it was going to be in neighborhood of $100. I just bought cokes when I wanted one, although I had packed a twelve pack in liqour suitcase. When I need more I just bought them in port and had no trouble walking on board with them.
Internet service. We had read about unlimited internet for $100 for a 7 day cruise and were curious about fees for 14 cruise. We had our laptop with us. They offered unlimited for $120 for 14 days. Checked this our and even staff was not recommending it as it was so slow. Used the computer center twice (two coupons for fifteen minutes free). This was supposed to be high speed satelite service...took 15 minutes to connect, quickly check email accts (4) and send one 6-7 line email.
We were also concerned regarding cut backs in staff servicing the rooms. Did not see any change in service we received on previous trips. Room was cleaned every day by 10AM and on most days was done while we were at breakfast.
At the momment I cannot think of anything else others have been asking about but I will answer any questions I can that you may have. I am also going to attempt posting pictures in the next week (still have about 75 on camera) but we took over 400 photos so I need to narrow them down some to which ones to post.
Chris

pedrin, thanks for posting. We did the PC on the Radaince but we did the reverse, San Diego to Ft. Lauderdale. I agree the PC is something that should be on everyones cruise list. Its hard to beleive that something built so long ago is still operating the same way!
WOW, you got a good deal on getting $$$ back even though you didn't get your balcony cabin. We too had just a standard outside and it was fine, no complaints. We did have an E2 on the Brilliance and I swear the cabin was a bit smaller than the outside cabin on the Radiance.
Its nice to hear the service was good and the Ranch Steak is dead...LOL.
Glad you had a great cruise, hope you get your balcony cabin on your next cruise! [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Soveriegn 92 E. Caribbean
Majesty 95 W. Caribbean
Granduer 97 E. Caribbean
Rhapsody 00 Mexico
Vision 02 Alaska
Radiance 03 Panama Canal
Brilliance 3/29/04

Radiance of the Seas/Panama Canal 10/18/2003
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2003;10;18;20;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img] Are we there yet?
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2003;10;18;20;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]

My bags are always packed!
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;3;29;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img] Brilliance 3/29/2004

I forgot to ask, was the deck patrol still in charge of the chair hogs? Were there any towels at the pools?

Soveriegn 92 E. Caribbean
Majesty 95 W. Caribbean
Granduer 97 E. Caribbean
Rhapsody 00 Mexico
Vision 02 Alaska
Radiance 03 Panama Canal
Brilliance 3/29/04

Radiance of the Seas/Panama Canal 10/18/2003
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2003;10;18;20;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]Are we there yet?
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2003;10;18;20;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]

My bags are always packed!
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;3;29;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img] Brilliance 3/29/2004

Okay second attempt Just hit wrong key and lost what I wrote.... Pool attendents were present but not removing towels and belongings. Towels available at pool side and also as you left ship for ports. But towels are not too big and we used two each.
Entertainment was varied. Some we liked and some we didn't. Saw a group called "Happenings" Supposedly did "Go away little girl" I always thought that was Bobby Vinton or someone. Wonder if they were backup group or what. Anyhow...new entertainment flown in everytime we had a port call (Six ports in 14 days). Try the Academy at Seas Program if it is available. Did the Bar and Hospitality one and the Photography one. At Bar one....free drinks and also coupons for free drinks at different bars. Also learned alot about different types of liquors.
Chris

I'm glad you clarified the issue on the Ranch Steak. I ordered "THE RANCH" and when it was served-it looked just like a NY Strip. I went Hmmm but ate it without question.

I must say that I'm a bit disappointed not tasting the real ranch cut!