Esphesus w/Ekol for someone with walking difficulties

I've been reading this board for months, but haven't found the info I'm looking for.

We'd love to go to Ephesus in November. The problem is DH has very bad knees and he can't do a lot of steps or walk a lot. The pavement sounds very uneven would make things harder for him.

I'd like to book a private tour for just the 2 of us so we could spend less time there than they usually do and have a more flexible itinerary. If DH isn't up to walking a lot there, it would be nice if he could go sit in the car with the driver while I look around for a while. Do the Ekol drivers wait in the car while you're in Esphesus or do they leave and come back at a prearranged time? If they wait there, is it a huge parking lot where he'd have to walk a long way to find the car?

I haven't emailed Ekol yet, because their website says: "Note: Ephesus include walking (1.5 k.m.) and Terrace Houses has steps, Not recommended for people with physical disabilities." By the way, we're not interested in Terrace Houses.

If you've been on a private tour with Ekol, I'd love to hear your thoughts on if my idea would work.

By the way, I've posted on our roll call hoping to find someone else with similar issues so we could book some private tours together. I haven't found anyone yet. We may have to book some of the 'mild' Celebrity tours for some ports. We can afford to book a private tour for Esphesus for just the 2 of us.

I've been reading this board for months, but haven't found the info I'm looking for.

We'd love to go to Ephesus in November. The problem is DH has very bad knees and he can't do a lot of steps or walk a lot. The pavement sounds very uneven would make things harder for him.

I'd like to book a private tour for just the 2 of us so we could spend less time there than they usually do and have a more flexible itinerary. If DH isn't up to walking a lot there, it would be nice if he could go sit in the car with the driver while I look around for a while. Do the Ekol drivers wait in the car while you're in Esphesus or do they leave and come back at a prearranged time? If they wait there, is it a huge parking lot where he'd have to walk a long way to find the car?

I haven't emailed Ekol yet, because their website says: "Note: Ephesus include walking (1.5 k.m.) and Terrace Houses has steps, Not recommended for people with physical disabilities." By the way, we're not interested in Terrace Houses.

If you've been on a private tour with Ekol, I'd love to hear your thoughts on if my idea would work.

By the way, I've posted on our roll call hoping to find someone else with similar issues so we could book some private tours together. I haven't found anyone yet. We may have to book some of the 'mild' Celebrity tours for some ports. We can afford to book a private tour for Esphesus for just the 2 of us.

D4 - I recommend you go ahead and email Nur at Ekol. I booked a tour through her for next May. She's very accommodating and replies promptly, unless it's the middle of the night of course. Very nice to work with and I'm sure she'll be glad to answer your questions.

Deb

D4 - I recommend you go ahead and email Nur at Ekol. I booked a tour through her for next May. She's very accommodating and replies promptly, unless it's the middle of the night of course. Very nice to work with and I'm sure she'll be glad to answer your questions.

Deb

We went last year the end of June. There alot of rocks and erosion of dirt where you walk, VERY UNEVEN. It is not like you are on a walkway. They let us out at the entry gate and met us at the end where they park their vehicles and our guides was with us the entire way. It was extremely hot when we were there, take an umbrella to shade yourself and lots of water. I have a bad knee and did not have trouble but was very careful as not to fall. The Terrace house were wonderful, probably at the top of the list for being the best part of the tour. The step there are metal and had no trouble with them. Just outside is where it can be little bit difficult. Good luck on your decision, can't really suggest as I don't know how unsure your husband is on his feet. I am sure someone will know.

Your problem would be that the guides take you into the site at the top and then you walk down through the town to meet your driver at the bottom. We did see people using scooters and wheelchairs.

If it is private they will do whatever you want.

But, Ephesus is a ONE WAY path. Dropped at one place and got to walk the whole way. There is a path but it isn't a sidewalk and is rough and has a decline. My 80 plus dad and move did okay there. For reference they found Acropolis too much. No way around doing the full walk which is more then a mile.

Good luck

The Terrace Houses were very interesting. The hardest walking part of the Terrace Houses tour was getting out of houses. I am 5 ft 3 inches. The outside steps were very difficult for me. The steps were very steep with only the outside of the building to use as support. There are a lot of steps inside the houses.

As others have stated: Once you begin the tour you must complete the tour to meet up with the with your vehicle.

MSEm

I appreciate all your responses! That's exactly the kind of information I was looking for.

I had no idea that it was a one way path through Esphesus. Is it a steep decline or is it gradual?

We're having a hard time figuring out what to do at each port with his walking issues. Some days are better than others, but there's no way to predict that in advance. This port intensive itinerary will probably be very tiring. At least we'll have 4 extra nights in Rome so we should be able to see a lot there.

We're going in November so the heat shouldn't be an issue.

Maybe these will help.....

sorry only 1 uploaded. This is the smoothest walk in the whole tour. The first part is more downward (you start at the top and go down) and uneven...... and it is not steep but uneven and can be slippery !!! The stones are worn from thousand of years..... I slipped once but not until we came out of the theater area....further down from this pic. At the very end you must go up again slightly to the parking lot. The driver can come right up to the entrance and pick you up.

It all depends on what you mean by walking difficulties. I agree - once you begin you are in it till the end..... easier going down then going back up. I will try to download one more of the more uneven area..... ps click on the thumbnail to enlarge

1668556891_EuropeanVacation2009897.jpg.69d7a11e9fea5db597125df7790ec28a.jpg

If you have walking difficulties, the Terraced Houses are OUT. Too many steps especially at the end returning to 'street' level to continue your tour.

I would say that the gradient is a gentle descent, but be aware that the stones are very smooth and can be slippery. Take plenty of water, and take your time. I don't think that you will find the walk unbearable, but make sure you are wearing non-slip soles and possibly heel inserts that cushion your walking as the stone is obviously hard.

Long sleeved shirts and a hat will help because the sun is fierce and there is very little shade.

I think that a private tour for the two of you in November to Ephesus will work out just fine as long as you exclude a visit to the Terrace Houses, which are all steps up and down. Just take your time.

We did a private tour there through Ekol last September, and our guide took us at the pace we wanted. We were very happy with the arrangements and our guide, plus the prices in Turkey for tours are very reasonable.

We ended up skipping the walk to the ampitheatre, and simply viewed it from afar, having worn out my spouse at the Terrace Houses. (He is mobile but has depth perception problems going down steps, so our exit from the Terrace Houses took awhile.)

Archived