Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Riotgrl13

Splendour of the Seas review

Literally just got off the ship!

Embarkation: a breeze, arrived at pier at 12:30 and was on board eating lunch by 1:30. There were eight of us in our party so it did take a little time

The ship common areas are kept up beautifully, very clean and sparkling. The Christmas decorations were beautiful. Our party had one bal, one JS and the Royal Family Suite. All cabins were in good order. That is the only place i felt were you could see that the ship was somewhat dated. The RFS, though big, 2 bedrooms 2 baths has seen better days The room decor is somewhat warn and could stand a refurbishment but we still enjoyed having all that space.

Our cabin attendant was efficient.

the dining room staff (table 21) were incredible. Probably one of the best servers we have ever had and I would give Laura and Willamena and A plus plus. After the first night they remembered everything, were always smiling, professional and curteous. The food was excellent, no complaints except maybe the steak which was ho hum. Otherwise great.

Entertainment good. We don't go to to many shows after 14 cruises find them to be pretty similar. Did go twice to the shows and it was good. Kids went to magician and they liked him alot.

Disembarkation we were off the ship by 8:30, in fact i did not even have breakfast it was so fast.

All in all I would rate this cruise a A

Good to see a nice review on the Splendour. Glad you had a great time. Did you do the Western Caribbean? Did you do any good excursions? On your own?

Sorry you had to come back to reality!

Michelle

riotgrl, Glad to hear from you!! Did you do any shore excursions? How was tendering? Food on the ship? (dining room and Windjammer) Which nights were Formal?

I'm also glad you had a great cruise. I really appreciate the mini review of the ship as I will be boarding her 01/02/05.

did the west and we skipped gc and went to key west. Beautiful weather but a little cold, water cold.Did snorkling in Belize from the ship it was great.

Costa Maya did our own but wouldn't recommend it. Boat was a row boat with a motor....lol. Kids did dune buggy in Coz and loved it. Food way above average.Formal night Mon and Wed.

actually it was a sea day on Monday but we skipped gc and went to Key West on Sunday the second was in Belize as we were in Coz until 11 pm Thursday and I guess they didn't want to do it on Friday the last night.

"Costa Maya did our own but wouldn't recommend it. Boat was a row boat with a motor"

Riotgirl....I'm confused, what does this mean??

So glad you had such a great time. Look forward to her sail 01/08!!

Hi,

Thanks so much for the reveiw.. My wife and I are on the Slendor; the 24th of Dec., for the Christmes and New Year celebrations.

We were happy to hear that the ship got a good grading from you.

We are in a d level balcony on deck # 7 . Your post is the first we have read to say anything about the cabins.

If you have the time , we would certainly appreciate your apprasal of the balcony cabin that your family occupied.

Did you get to Montego Bay? We are also trying to find out about the "canopy tour". We saw some websites showing what the experience entails ... and boy are we "up" for doing that. We are 60 and 50something??:) but in great spirits and would love to do that. Did you hear of anyone that went on "the Canopy" tour.

Gee, we thank you .... and really appreciate the time and effort you and everyone on these boards give... really helpful stuff.

Putting the starch to that formal collar ...(5 days to go) oh man, I get to go ... to ... Seamo.!!

Seamo,

I too am in a D1 balcony cabin on deck 7 (7070). I would love to hear your feedback on the room when you return. I will be leaving for Tampa on 01/01.

My daughter and bf were in a D1 balconey and it was very nice, no complaints, Mom was in a JS again the extra space and bathtub were great for her, plenty of room. I have to say in all three cabins the sofas were queen size and you could actually sit on them comfortably. No we did not go to montego bay and yes the reason I said this about costa maya was..we did not book a shore ex through the ship rather one in port and we got what we paid for..$100 for six to go snorkling. It was fun but definitely no frills. when in Mexico da da da....

Hi everyone,

It's soo soo soo much fun! The excitement of counting down the days (and even the hours). Have you ever heard your mate (after tapping your shoulder {or whtaever} @ 3 am , say, "only 132 hours and we'll be just like this, except,.....da da da .. we'll be cruising ..baby!!

Hi everyone!!!

Yes, I will definately post a review when we return. (I'm in-debted to the boards) . I got so much great info here. How many people think of bringing heavy cloth-pins.... to put on the bottom of the shower curtain .. so it doesn't "fly". And the one about the clear shoe door hanger thing ( you know, plastic and a bunch of shoe pouches --?) Yes, to store anything.... cameras...docs..combs...etc etc etc ... and even a shoe or two. Tee Hee.

Anyways, Thanks for the responses.

Oh! Here is our favorite suggestion.

BRING YOUR VERY OWN AND FAVORITE "pillow case"... yeah baby. !! Nothing like that little feel of home that you know, no one else has had their , coo..t ..ee... , well, their heads on .

One more ??. question, if you can. We are celebrating, not only the Holidays ... but also a history of 39 years together. While we really enjoy and WANT to "connect with other people... we are wondering ... do they have tables (only) for two ??? We heard (somewhere that there are a few tables for two next to the windows ... very private and very romantic. Did you see any?

Thanks loads for all the help .. and I promise to come back here to llet you all in on the fun and games of our cruise..

we get to gooooo to ............. Seamo

Riotgrl13,

Thanks for the info on the balcony room and also about Costa Maya. Is there enough to do in Costa Maya without booking an excursion? We though we might just look around and chill around the pool area at the port. What do you suggest?

Anyone know if the Grand Suite has a DVD player or a VHS player...We have a 4 year old with us.. and she needs her videos...

Thanks

Tom

Thanks for the review riotgrl. We are really looking forward to our cruise. Glad to hear that you had a wonderful time!

My family of 6 is on the Splendour for Christmas and New Years - - - only 5 more days! I am sooooo happy to hear you had a good experience.

We are on Deck 7 as well - 7012. Kids are on deck 3 Ocean View. Looks like the big Suites are still empty.

Make sure you sign up for the Meet and Mingle:

https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/ccEntry.do;jsessionid=0000HTvhgY56liid7PcfR0Dkhh1:v29bc4qk?src=CCC&mm=12&sh=SP&yy=2004&sd=12%2F24%2F2004&submit2.y=5&submit2.x=28&dd=24&Fold=N

See you Friday.

There really isnt a lot to do in Costa Maya at the pier. It looks more like a Disney made fake port (which it basically is). We just wore our swimsuits and strolled down the beach a little bit away from the crowds and laid out in the sun. The water was pretty clear and you could see the sea life without having to snorkel, but that is a possibility I'm sure somewhere along the beach. We then came back into the port area and just found a hammock to lay in for a while and snooze, then back onto the ship. I've also heard about a little town close by that was interesting, but dont know much about it. Might want to check out the destination pages here and see what shows up there.

I agree book an excursion, some people went in the pool and said the water was really cold. There isn't much to do there unless you book something.

we did not have a DVD or VCR in the family suite or JS . I don't think anyone had them. sorry They do have a cartoon channel

Were there any perks to having the RFS? Did you get early embarkation? Any goodies waiting in the cabin? Is there a bed in the living room, or does the sofa fold out?

Also, did the bathroom with a tub have a showerhead? I'm assuming it does, but someone wanted me to ask.

We've got the RFS booked for January and are looking forward to it.

Thanks...

Riotgirl, did you see our decorated cabin door? We were in 8570(js) We also had a great cruise. In Belize we went outside the shopping area and were able to get a van (4 of us) for just 40$ and got a tour of all of the city. In Costa Maya we went to the village and went to the far end and rented a boat and guide for 80$ and they took us on a tour for picture taking and just sight seeing. We ate in the village at Costa Maya and at the Wet Lizzard at Belize and for Mexican food it was not at all that good.Just ok. We also ate at Ponchos Backyard in Coz (the onedowntown) and the food and drinks there were were good to excellent.We have always loved the coffee on Rccl but on this cruise we have to agree with others who have complained about the coffee.They are storing it in these huge brown holding containers (which means breawing ahead of time) and it never tasted fresh. The crew was great and always helpful. There is some vibration on this ship (have been on Rhapsody,Grandour,and Legend so we have some experience on this class ship). It was ok in our cabin on deck 8 aft but we really felt it at dinner deck 5. Cozumel, we just shopped(our 3rd time there).The ship is very nice for a 9 year old ship. You name it, we saw it at dinner(dress). Did not see any one turned away.

We also just returned from the Splendour and had a great time (Setsail, we loved your door. We passed it every day because we were in 8579). The cruise was great, the ship beautiful and service excellent and the staff friendly. This was our first RC cruise and our favorite. We didn't have a balcony but my parents did. It was very nice, but not a suite. We had a superior inside room and found it to be quite large compared to what we've had in the past. As for the shore excursions, our favorite was cave tubing in Belize. We had SO much fun and our three boys loved it. We didn't book through RC. We booked online and had a much smaller group (13). It was also about $40 cheaper. From what I heard from others, the ship's tour wasn't as nice because they had about 40 in the group and the guides didn't do much. Our guide was terrific. The other places we mainly just got in a taxi and headed to a beach to snorkel. We loved it all because we had never been to any of these places.

Have a great trip!!!

The RFS does have a tub with shower head and another standard bathroom. Two bedrooms and living room with a comfortable queen size couch that can be used as a bed pullout. We did get "goodies" almost every night, fruit, canapes, choc strawberries. I was surprised that the water and soda in the room were not free, esp the water. I did miss not having a coffee pot in the room as they do on NCL. Loved the size of the suite. No speciality resturants.

The RFS does have a tub with shower head and another standard bathroom. Two bedrooms and living room with a comfortable queen size couch that can be used as a bed pullout. We did get "goodies" almost every night, fruit, canapes, choc strawberries. I was surprised that the water and soda in the room were not free, esp the water. I did miss not having a coffee pot in the room as they do on NCL. Loved the size of the suite. No speciality resturants.

Thanks for the info. We're looking forward to the cruise, especially with it being 20 degrees F :eek: right now. I won't mind not having a coffee maker; that means I can't possibly be asked to make coffee. Besides, DD enjoys going out to get the coffee (now if only they'd let her bring back margaritas).