? Mt.Vesuvius-Pompei Hike

We are sailing on RCCL's Legend, and will be in Naples on 8-11-09. The tour we are considering is called Mt. Vesuvius and Pompei Hike. Can I get some feedback on just how strenuous this tour actually is and are there restroom facilities?

Sorry I do not have experience with the hike, but I was recently in Pompeii and even at 8:30 in the morning it was very hot. We spent a wonderful two hours with a guide exploring the ruins - including the house of Meander. Quite amazing. I used AP Tours to book a tour and guide and asked them if we could get into any of the special closed houses. No extra cost. After that we drove down the Amalfi coast, which was georgeous. It is a little odd looking at the temperature because it doesn't sound hot at 82 or so, but it does feel very hot - and I live in the California desert so am used to hot, although it's a dry heat here.

We just did the hike up Vesuvius on our own. The bus takes you most of the way up. There are chemical toilets in the parking lot (a tip is expected). There are several switchbacks to hike up to the rim. It took about 20-30 minutes. You can continue to walk along the rim around to the other side but not all the way around. There is a lot of loose lava gravel so it's best to wear sturdy shoes. At Pompei there is a WC at the entrance.

Last month I did the NCL tour which sounds very similar. We hiked up Vesuvius in the morning and went to Pompeii in the afternoon. Thoroughly enjoyed but it would have been way too strenuous if it was scheduled the other way round.

Our tour guide did not accompany us up Vesuvius, we were given tickets and a Vesuvius guide met us when we reached the crater. The amount of time that it took to reach the crater varied between 15 and 45 minutes, depending on levels of fitness, amount of pictures you stop to take on the way up and how sturdy your footwear is. As Eileen says, sturdy shoes are the order of the day, but we did see people (not in our group) try it in flip flops, which was crazy. You can rent a stick to help you walk up and down. We didn't but I wish I had as it would have made the walk down a little bit safer (there is plenty of potential to slip on the way back down and a couple of people were injured, we just took it slow). The views from the top over the bay of Naples are lovely and looking into the crater is interesting.

We had a refreshments voucher which we used to get a soft drink at Pompeii and a short break stop (no lunch provided but there were options available there) before embarking on the tour of the ruins which took somewhere between 90 minutes and 2 hours. Took us all around the main parts of the site (which is huge and could easily take up a day by itself).

This day was really hot and I turned a bit red even though I had on factor 30. Plenty of water and suncream were definitely the order of the day. Very much enjoyed this.

There weren't others on our role call interested in doing this tour so we couldn't hire a van, but I know that Viator offers a similar tour which works out cheaper, however this leaves later in the day and I didn't fancy hiking up Vesuvius in the early afternoon heat.

We are sailing on RCCL's Legend, and will be in Naples on 8-11-09. The tour we are considering is called Mt. Vesuvius and Pompei Hike. Can I get some feedback on just how strenuous this tour actually is and are there restroom facilities?

The heat can be pretty rough in August. If you are doing both Pompeii which is a lot of walking in exposed sun in itself and the hike this will be only for the fittest unless the bus takes you very close to the top of the Mountain. That moutain looks pretty big:eek:

Personally I'd consider a tour that does Pompeii and something on the Coast; Ravello, Positano, Sorrento or Capri

DSC_1370.jpg.7916fa6793bbd1dc91173e0aebc4af82.jpg

The heat can be pretty rough in August. If you are doing both Pompeii which is a lot of walking in exposed sun in itself and the hike this will be only for the fittest unless the bus takes you very close to the top of the Mountain. That moutain looks pretty big:eek:

You only walk the top path, which is under a mile, but not far short of, uphill, in sooty gravel that's like walking on coarse dry sand. The gradient seemed about 1 in 4 but may have been less. Its doable, but its hard (because of the heat as much as anything else). IMO it shouldn't be attempted without good shoes and a large canteen of water. Apparently it should take the average fit teenager about 20 minutes.

I should also have mentioned, don't wear pale suede walking shoes or white trousers that you plan to wear again that trip, because they'll get filthy.

Hey, I thought you were taking a vacation!:D

Seriously, I like chipmaster's idea: Pompeii and something on the Coast.

It is quite a hike. I am young, not in the greatest shape but not overweight.

I found it to be a difficult hike, but worth it when you got to the top. It was breezy and cool in september, so I really cant imagine how much harder it would be in the summer heat. Take water with, b/c you will need it.

They have a wooden railing up the whole way and I used that to drag myself up at times. I also took many breaks to take in the view of the bay of Naples (beautiful) and rest.

I saw some japanese women in there 80's at least coming down so I knew i had to get to the top, or look pathetic :)

It is tough but doable by everyone in our group (20's 30's 40's and 50's)

Just take your time, and drink drink drink!

We just did the hike up Vesuvius on our own. The bus takes you most of the way up. There are chemical toilets in the parking lot (a tip is expected). There are several switchbacks to hike up to the rim. It took about 20-30 minutes. You can continue to walk along the rim around to the other side but not all the way around. There is a lot of loose lava gravel so it's best to wear sturdy shoes. At Pompei there is a WC at the entrance.

Enjoyed your trip summary of the Oosterdam Venice to Barcelona cruise. Thanks! Very helpful to our first Med cruise ... same boat, same schedule. I'm sure my wife and I will be back with some questions on a few things.

Archived