Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tunafish

A day on Calica

I'll cross post to ports of call, but I thought I would post here, since many carnival lovers might find it usefull.

I absolutely love this port because there are so many things to do. You have to leave the ship early and rent a car before they all gone (I think only one rental company is there).

We were in Calica on the Holiday this June and we did the following:

rented a car and went to Tulum. Straight shot down MX-307, maybe 30-40 minutes if you do not speed. We arrived at Tulum before all the shops were open and there were hardly anyone in the park. the entrance is 51 pesos or 5 bucks and there is a third of a mile hike to the ruins from the parking lot. you can opt for a ride on a trolley for 2 dollars a person. The advantage was that by the time herds of people start to arrive, we were all done with the ruins, done with the swim down at the beach (we started with 4-5 people in the water tops) and ready to continue your fun day in Mexico. If you go a mile further to the city of Tulum there will be seven eleven and st.francis (not sure about the name) supermarket there. I mean six pack of beer for 4 dollars, some legit mexican hot sauce to take home for 80 cents a bottle, water, soda, ice cream for kids and whole nine yards as far as refreshments go. We then went back and you can go to Akumal village wich is half way back to calica. map is here: http://www.bill-in-tulsa.com/mapofakumal.html. Yal-ku lagoon is a must see there. 9 bucks get you there and so far that was the least swimming you need to do to see some legit fish with your snorkle and mask. It was great for my wife who is not a strong swimmer. This place is fantastic. We met a guy from Edventure tours there who brought his group there. Akumal also has a great and free public beach were you can snorkle to see the sea turtles or just have some fun in the water. There are multiple pemex gas station to fill your car before returning it. the rental cost us 40 dollars for 5 ppl. the rest is only entrance tix. Beats any tour and you can see real life at your own pace.

Same strategy worked really well for us in Coz. 50 dollars get you a car for a day. there are lots of places with close to NO tourists on the beach (just see my pictures) and you have to visit our freind Fillipo and his ceramic workshop on the cross-island road (the one that goes to the rough shore). Great price and really neat things in folk-art style. Most important - far away from artificial Carlos and Charles and Senior Frog BS. Talking about food - you should try cheese nachos and squid rings at Palancar beach.

You can see some picture from these 2 stops here

Ask questions about directions and such, I'll be happy to contribute, since I have learnt so much from these boards.

Incredible pictures, thanks for sharing. I can't wait to see it in August.

Incredible pictures, thanks for sharing. I can't wait to see it in August.

Thanks a lot

Hello and thanks for the wealth of info. I see you have a child with you, and that is reassuring since I have 2 kids I am bringing along. I like to have everything planned out, but it sounds like you just got off the ship and rented a car and went on your way. Is it reallly that easy?