Formal National Dress & men's formal advice

JTor

We are planning toward a 2011 World cruise, either Cunard or maybe Crystal/Regent, but this board seems to have the best wardrobe advice. You are going to laugh, but here goes... "national formal dress" is often listed as an acceptable alternative to a tuxedo for men. Does it have to be one's own nationality? My husband has a beautiful bespoke tux with vest & all trimmings at home, and refuses to rent, BUT we will be getting on the WC direct from 6 months of backpacking around Europe & Africa. Carrying the tux in a backpack for 6 mo is not an option, and he doesn't really want to buy another one pre-cruise. An Indian friend wore a beautiful silk pantsuit thingy to our black-tie wedding and he has suggested that something of this ilk would roll up and pack much more easily (I will manage with a black jersey dress, which also rolls and packs small). He would be noticed, I realize, but would this be appropriate, ie inoffensive to others? If not what do you suggest - is there a secure way to send the tux directly to the ship pre-cruise? We really don't want to have to fly home again then fly out to the ship. He will be carrying a single sport-coat but clearly that won't stretch to formal nights. We are prepared for the dry cleaning bills...

We are planning toward a 2011 World cruise, either Cunard or maybe Crystal/Regent, but this board seems to have the best wardrobe advice. You are going to laugh, but here goes... "national formal dress" is often listed as an acceptable alternative to a tuxedo for men. Does it have to be one's own nationality? My husband has a beautiful bespoke tux with vest & all trimmings at home, and refuses to rent, BUT we will be getting on the WC direct from 6 months of backpacking around Europe & Africa. Carrying the tux in a backpack for 6 mo is not an option, and he doesn't really want to buy another one pre-cruise. An Indian friend wore a beautiful silk pantsuit thingy to our black-tie wedding and he has suggested that something of this ilk would roll up and pack much more easily (I will manage with a black jersey dress, which also rolls and packs small). He would be noticed, I realize, but would this be appropriate, ie inoffensive to others? If not what do you suggest - is there a secure way to send the tux directly to the ship pre-cruise? We really don't want to have to fly home again then fly out to the ship. He will be carrying a single sport-coat but clearly that won't stretch to formal nights. We are prepared for the dry cleaning bills...

You haven't said where you are intending to join the world cruise and how long you are likely to be there before you sail. If it's Soton or New York for example, surely the answer would be to purchase an off the peg dinner suit and a couple of dress shirts before you sail. You would certainly have no problem whatsoever doing this in Soton. Plus - no back packing problem, no dry cleaning bills, no hassle.

J

An Indian friend wore a beautiful silk pantsuit thingy to our black-tie wedding

That (sounds like a Nehru suit) is his national dress - so entirely appropriate.....you don't say what your nationality is....but if you're not Indian, I'd suggest 'no'.

You could also pack a a box of cruise clothing and have it shipped to the port prior to your boarding date. Either a friend could ship it off for you or you could leave it with a shipping company with hold instructions. That way both of you could have nice clothing for the trip that doesn't have to be carried in a backpack. You could even pack dress shoes, extra shirts and makeup items that may come in handy on the ship but not on a hike.

I'm sorry .... but if you're planning to do a 100 or so day world cruise on a 'formal' ship with just the clothes you have for 6 months backpacking then you may want to rethink the 'plan' or do some serious shopping at the embarkation port :eek:

The crack about 'the only things to "roll up" will be the rest of the passengers when they see your husband' while a little unkind (I'm afraid it did make me laugh out loud!!) is more than a little true. :o

Ken

I'm sorry .... but if you're planning to do a 100 or so day world cruise on a 'formal' ship with just the clothes you have for 6 months backpacking then you may want to rethink the 'plan' or do some serious shopping at the embarkation port :eek:

The crack about 'the only things to "roll up" will be the rest of the passengers when they see your husband' while a little unkind (I'm afraid it did make me laugh out loud!!) is more than a little true. :o

Ken

Ken, humour was indeed the intention and not unkindness.:eek:

When I read the title of your thread I was all set to argue how national formal dress is entirely appropriate (such as Scottish kilts, even if you are not Scottish). However, wearing traditional dress that appears to not be related to one's own national heritage, particularly if not consistent with the usual dress of most of those traveling, runs the risk of looking more like a costume, rather than formal wear. I think that would be the case with the Indian formal clothing. (It would also be the case if an ethnic North American/Europen wore Arab clothes, a kimono, or a Philippine dress clothes.) I think "foreign" (to the wearer) dress clothes might be appropriate if worn at a port one is visiting if native to that country (a kimono in Japan, for example), which would be seen as honoring the local customs and national dress. However, on a World Cruise, Indian clothes would be appropriate (in my humble opinion) only at the Indian ports.

Therefore, in my opinion the answer is "no."

(There are some excellent ideas for handling the problem. My suggestion is to just buy a suit the last day before joining the ship. On a World Cruise there will be more than enough occasions to get use out of the purchase (and if it is not needed afterwards, it would make a nice donation to a charity that collects clothes). The price of buying a suit may be less than shipping one to the port.

(p.s. I think this advice would hold for both Cunard and Crystal. On both tuxedoes are much more common than suits, but a dark suit would be perfectly acceptable and worn by about 10% (my estimate) of the men on board on formal nights.)

Am I missing something? Given that on a Cunard WC a D8 cabin will run $20-25K per person, and on Crystal more like $45-60K per person, it is extremely difficult to believe that anyone would worry about spending several hundred bucks for a tux and the necessary accoutrements before boarding the ship!

When I read the title of your thread I was all set to argue how national formal dress is entirely appropriate (such as Scottish kilts, even if you are not Scottish). However, wearing traditional dress that appears to not be related to one's own national heritage, particularly if not consistent with the usual dress of most of those traveling, runs the risk of looking more like a costume, rather than formal wear.

Why is it okay to wear a kilt, as so many Americans do, when they are not Scottish, but not okay for anything else?

Thanks everyone, that's helpful. If people are going to look askance or feel uncomfortable around us we certainly don't want that. We're pretty much without vanity when we travel but we don't want to have an ill effect on someone else's experience.

The idea of shipping to the hotel or a holding company will probably work best. If any of you have done this can you let me know what agencies you have used? I looked into it a few years ago and was unable to find a company that would do this overseas for a suitcase or two (as opposed to a whole household).

Just to clarify... the issue is not that we are too cheap to buy him a new tuxedo. The one he has certainly cost considerably more than a few hundred dollars and he is very fond of it - consequently he neither wants it lost nor damaged from being carried around for months, nor does he want to buy one that is much less nice and (probably) doesn't fit (all his suits are made to measure as he's very tall). Though if we can't solve the shipping problem this may be what we will have to do, in the end.

The only things to "roll up" will be the rest of the passengers when they see your husband.

Don't worry, we took this as a joke (hopefully as intended). It's exactly the problem; men's suits just don't roll up into a duffel or backpack! It is one time women are very lucky. I did a 2 week cruise last year as part of an extended trip and managed with 4 silk jersey dresses (and several scarves), which rolled up very small and looked lovely once steamed for a few minutes. Just doesn't work for the boys.

Why is it okay to wear a kilt, as so many Americans do, when they are not Scottish, but not okay for anything else?

Who said it was okay? Perfect example of some putz outwardly crying 'look at me, look at me'. Heritage of convenience.

Just like all the long lost Italians, Swedes, Portugeuse etc. that abandon the country in which they live to cheer for a country they have never been to, during the World Cup. The fabricated Scotsman has always been a particular nuisance to me.

BTW, I did think the OP was joking.

Because kilts are more common (in U.S.) so they appear less costumey, because the QM2 is a British ship so a kilt is the national dress of the ship's home country, and because (at least for many European-Americans) the kilt-wear can appear to be Scottish-American or Irish American so it won't be obvious that the dress is someone else's heritage. (Admittedly, those may not be very convincing reasons, but I suspect a kilt would just look less unusual (and perhaps less inappropriate) than a formal kimono to most cruisers on the QM2. On the other hand, a kilt might look a lot more out-of-place on the Asuka II (formerly the Crystal Harmony) now that it is cruising off eastern Asia for the Japanese market)

Just like all the long lost Italians, Swedes, Portugeuse etc. that abandon the country in which they live to cheer for a country they have never been to, during the World Cup.

I think it's great that Americans describe themselves with their lineage. Ask someone and they'll proudly tell you that they're 1/4 German, 1/2 Italian, 1/8 Irish and 1/8 English. Even if they've never been to any of those countries and can't even tell you from what city or region to call home.

My mother is from Italy and my father is from the Polish-Russian border (was part of both countries at one time or another.) I consider myself to be Italian, a Polish-Russian Jew and 100% American. My wife is Ukrainian and Irish. I will cheer for Italy, Israel, Ukraine, Ireland and the US, and only pick sides when they play each other.

I also drink Grappa, Vodka, Guiness, Mogan David (under duress) and Bud when I fell like it. I'm don't believe in a melting pot. For me it's a mixing pot.

When you're a mutt, act like a mutt.

because the QM2 is a British ship so a kilt is the national dress of the ship's home country

The kilt is not, and never has been, national dress in Britain.

I maintain my view that too many people wear a kilt for no better reason than they once ate shortbread. It isn't enough.

correct., however a number of us even though we live far away from the home country still feel very proud of our scottish roots and are prepared to show it. Besides....... I think the point is...if you have Indian heritage and you are proud of it and you can wear its national dress...then you should do.....if you're from bavaria....wear your lederhosen with pride, but if youre from Germany with no claim to India,...................well you get my drift

I maintain my view that too many people wear a kilt for no better reason than they once ate shortbread. It isn't enough.

That's not very kindly :rolleyes:

When did Scotland stop being part of Britain?

It hasn't. The kilt is national dress in Scotland, but not in Britain. That was my point.

It hasn't. The kilt is national dress in Scotland, but not in Britain. That was my point.

So Scotland isn't in Britain? I'm confused:confused: Surely it is the national dress in the Scottish part of Britain, but not the English or Welsh parts...?

Archived