Finished my scrapbook from Liberty 9-2008 sailing!!!

valancy1

Debra - That album is beautiful!!!

I love the colors you chose -they set off your photo's beautifully.

I plan to "scrap lift" the ideas on your 'Bits and Pieces', 'Food Glorious Food', and 'Sunrise, Sunset' pages.

It was great to see the impact of the photo's grouped together that might have been lost if they were scattered on separate pages.

Debra - That album is beautiful!!!

I love the colors you chose -they set off your photo's beautifully.

I plan to "scrap lift" the ideas on your 'Bits and Pieces'' date=' 'Food Glorious Food', and 'Sunrise, Sunset' pages.

It was great to see the impact of the photo's grouped together that might have been lost if they were scattered on separate pages.[/quote']

Aww, Julie, thanks!!! The bits & pieces was fun, wasn't it???

I feel so accomplished getting it finished. Now I can go on my November cruise with a clear conscience LOL...

Super album, Debra! Your creative layouts are well balanced with excellent colour choice and include the all important journalling. Your album will bring you pleasure over the years as you remember the cruise. IMHO, what makes a successful scrapbook is when one's eye goes directly to the picture and not to embellishments, or the paper, which should only be there to support the picture and not override it. You obviously think the same way. We have been on four cruises but haven't managed to get pics printed yet to start my albums. However, last month we did an Alaskan cruisetour and I bought tons of die cuts, other related embellishments and a fabulous album so I really have no excuse not to get cracking on this scrapbook. LOL! Thanks for the inspiration and the movitivation to get moving on my own layouts.

Sandy

Debra,

Just across from 'Bits and Peices' you have a page titled 'Lady Liberty' that includes a flip of photos. How did you do the flip?

I have tried to get this effect in the past by using a mini album on a title page, but it ended up thick enough that I have never used it on an inside page.

You have inspired me to finish my "Glory" album from 2007.:o I had all the photo's done and the pages finished - except for the all important journaling, on a few pages. It has been sitting and waiting for me to get myself in gear - today is the day.

Debra' date='

Just across from 'Bits and Peices' you have a page titled 'Lady Liberty' that includes a flip of photos. How did you do the flip?

I have tried to get this effect in the past by using a mini album on a title page, but it ended up thick enough that I have never used it on an inside page.

You have inspired me to finish my "Glory" album from 2007.:o I had all the photo's done and the pages finished - except for the all important journaling, on a few pages. It has been sitting and waiting for me to get myself in gear - today is the day.[/quote']

Julie, GOOD FOR YOU! Get that book done!! LOL

I did that page with foam core. I'll try and put the instructions here.

You get a piece of foam core (I get it at Michael's for abour $2-3).

Cut the piece with an Xacto knife to 11x11 (NOT 12x12)

Determine where on the page you would like your item to be. (I have used this for trinkets and such--you don't have to do just pictures, but if you want it for snapshots, determine the size of the opening based on your snapshots, whether you are going to matte them, etc.)

With a ruler and pencil draw out your opening dimensions.

Cut it with the Xacto knife. I have found by running the blade through the same pass 2-3x that the cut is better, so don't despair if you don't make it through the entire piece of foam core the first pass.

Then make a backing for your opening by cutting cardstock that is bigger than the opening. Set it aside.

Determine which kind of paper you will be using. Flip the paper face down and center your foam core on the paper. In the opening you have made for your photos/whatever, ON THE BACK SIDE, make an X in the opening with your blade. (NOTE: You can also trace out the opening on the back side of the paper and do this before adhering the foam core to the paper.)

Then affix the paper to the foam core, centering it on the 12 x 12 piece of paper. Take the triangles made from the X and carefully fold them backwards to the back of the foam core. This will cover the edges of your opening. Affix them to the back of the foam core piece. Adhere the back of the opening you made earlier to the back of the foam core.

Now your shadow box is made.

I determined how many photos I wanted. I left the photos 4x6 and allowed a little for matting. I used my paper scorer (on my paper cutter) to score along a 12 x 12 sheet that I used. Then I did it again. I affixed one end into the end of the other to make a big accordian. Then I put in my photos and affixed it to the backing from the front side.

You can do this for journaling and all sorts of stuff. The key is to make the foam core smaller so it fits in a standard 12 x 12 page protector.

Then when I put the page in my book, I took a straight edge and my blade and cut the page protector so one could look at the photos and still protect the rest of the page.

I hope that helps you. Let's see pictures when you're finished! Good luck!

Thanks for the instructions Debra - the foam core explains how you make it work.

I've gotten a chunk of my journaling done today. I had an unplanned family commitment this afternoon so didn't get it all done - still have a dozen or so more pages to go. I'll try to wrap it up tomorrow.

The full album is very thick so I don't know that I will post all of it - but once I have some help from my much more computer savvy sister - I will post a few of my favorite pages. I have not used an online service like photobucket - so she will need to help me load them directly to Cruise Critic. She is out of town till Monday, so it will be mid-week before I get them up.

Thanks for the instructions Debra - the foam core explains how you make it work.

I've gotten a chunk of my journaling done today. I had an unplanned family commitment this afternoon so didn't get it all done - still have a dozen or so more pages to go. I'll try to wrap it up tomorrow.

The full album is very thick so I don't know that I will post all of it - but once I have some help from my much more computer savvy sister - I will post a few of my favorite pages. I have not used an online service like photobucket - so she will need to help me load them directly to Cruise Critic. She is out of town till Monday' date=' so it will be mid-week before I get them up.[/quote']

Good job Julie! Love seeing cruise pics :)

Thanks Debra for sharing. The Carnival Liberty was our first cruise this past January. We are hooked now!!!

Imagine not a lot of men take this up, but I must admit it brings me back to my elementary school days and for guys building things is kind of cool...the flip pages are like construction so that kind of appeals to me as a manly man!!! Ha ha :D :D

We kept our Sail and Sign cards too, so I was wondering how we were going to deal with them and the Capers we kept. A photo album just won't work. And like some others we have not printed our pictures yet...I have created a video though, maybe my DW and I will look into scrapbooking.

Thanks Debra for sharing. The Carnival Liberty was our first cruise this past January. We are hooked now!!!

Imagine not a lot of men take this up, but I must admit it brings me back to my elementary school days and for guys building things is kind of cool...the flip pages are like construction so that kind of appeals to me as a manly man!!! Ha ha :D :D

We kept our Sail and Sign cards too, so I was wondering how we were going to deal with them and the Capers we kept. A photo album just won't work. And like some others we have not printed our pictures yet...I have created a video though, maybe my DW and I will look into scrapbooking.

Mark, I used to be a Stampin' Up! demonstrator and we had men attend our workshops all the time. I stitch and knew guys who stitched (including a policeman that stopped me for speeding! LOL!!!)

Anyway, if I can help AT ALL, please let me know. You won't be sorry--it could be something you and your DW could do together and it actually extends the feeling of the cruise. I'm so hooked on scrapbooking cruises or is it that I'm hooked on cruising so I have to scrapbook them? HEE HEE.

What a stunning album you made and will be treasured for many years I am sure.

Thank you for sharing and I too love the bits and pieces and the small squares of sea you used.

• 1 month later...

What a wonderful job you did, nice clean straight lines, not overly embellished, keeping the focus on the photos. You had some great background papers to work with too.

Holding a stingray - you are a brave woman!

Love the "Towel Friends" title, just gave me an idea for my title: Towel Pals ~ Thanks!

I printed off the about 260 photos to start with (out of 1130) and am hoping to start on our cruise scrapbook this Saturday when I host a 15 hour crop.

Thanks for sharing your vacation with us!

What a wonderful job you did, nice clean straight lines, not overly embellished, keeping the focus on the photos. You had some great background papers to work with too.

Holding a stingray - you are a brave woman!

Love the "Towel Friends" title, just gave me an idea for my title: Towel Pals ~ Thanks!

I printed off the about 260 photos to start with (out of 1130) and am hoping to start on our cruise scrapbook this Saturday when I host a 15 hour crop.

Thanks for sharing your vacation with us!

And I hope you'll do the same--how FUN to have people over for a crop!!!

Thank you for your compliments--it's so appreciated. Have a GREAT TIME and I hope you'll share with your fellow artists what you accomplished when you're ready :)

Debra -- Thank you for sharing your BEAUTIFUL album! It is inspirational to see...Perhaps I'll actually get my memoriabilia into an album so we can enjoy the memories. :p Your creativity is awesome!!!

NancyJewel, THANK YOU! Please get your scrapbook going so you can share (and inspire) with everyone :)

Debra, you put together a lovely album. Congrats! I really liked the Bits & Pieces page :). Very creative!

And for those of you who are worried about the thickness of your cruise albums, please remember this...you don't have to put your entire cruise in only ONE album. I've completed albums for 3 cruises. Two of those cruises (Carnival Pride-Mexican Riviera and Mariner of the Seas-Eastern Caribbean) had 2 albums in order to hold all of my memorabilia and photos. My Star Princess-Scandinavia/Russia cruise took up 6 albums (2 of those albums were for one DAY each!). I just started Diamond Princess-Alaska and expect it to be 2 or 3 albums. I've only been cruising since 2003 so that's 10 albums in 6 years.

Theresa

Debra, you put together a lovely album. Congrats! I really liked the Bits & Pieces page :). Very creative!

And for those of you who are worried about the thickness of your cruise albums, please remember this...you don't have to put your entire cruise in only ONE album. I've completed albums for 3 cruises. Two of those cruises (Carnival Pride-Mexican Riviera and Mariner of the Seas-Eastern Caribbean) had 2 albums in order to hold all of my memorabilia and photos. My Star Princess-Scandinavia/Russia cruise took up 6 albums (2 of those albums were for one DAY each!). I just started Diamond Princess-Alaska and expect it to be 2 or 3 albums. I've only been cruising since 2003 so that's 10 albums in 6 years.

Theresa

Thanks Theresa!

What a good idea to put your cruise in enough books to cover it rather than cutting out a good portion because it wouldn't fit. I also use the extenders to put more pages in and make the spine longer, just taking care to make sure that I don't drop it :eek: (I dropped my wedding album shortly after I finished it--I was heartsick because my album couldn't be replaced and I had to get a different one altogether).

Wouldn't it be fun to have a CC cropping cruise???

Debra, each of my albums are a maximum 45 pages (90 sides) long. Any bigger and they're just too unwieldy as you said. Bummer about your wedding album!

A CC scrapbooking cruise would be lovely, but there's no way I could get all my supplies to the port unless I was doing a cruise out of Boston where I live. Could sure see myself doing it on an around-the-world cruise, though, where you can spend several weeks at a time at sea without port stops! :D

Theresa

Thank you for sharing your album... It is awesome. I cruise on the liberty in 66 days... and have been trying to think of ways to save things to put in my scrapbook when I get home. I really like what you did with the capers... better than cutting them up.

Get yourself an 11x14 rigid cardboard mailer from the post office or an office supply store to put all your Capers, post cards, photos, etc. in during the cruise. I find it protects everything nicely and then I don't end up with wrinkly Capers ;o). I also ask for an extra set of Capers every day so I have a pristine set for the album.

Theresa

Archived