Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

goldfinch

Bumped overboard

Does anyone have any experience with being bumped off a cruise ??

I thought a confirmation was just that but it's not so !!

I booked a RCCL Med cruise March '04 for Aug '05

and was just informed that the ship has been chartered

and everyone with a confirmed booking is no longer

on the ship.

I hate this for you. We have gone on a Med. curise this year and never heard of such a thing happening to anyone. I hope you get a GREAT cruise when it happens.

Hi Goldfinch,

Sorry you are just getting this information. Some of us CC'rs have known for quite some time that we would not be sailing next summer on the Brilliance! Check out the posts:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=92395

So sorry your plans have been ruined also. May I suggest the Millenium sailing on August 26. They still have cabins and many on CC have reported that they enjoyed the Millie itinerary even more. Also, you could join us on the August 31 transatlantic on the Jewel.

Don't spend a lot of time being upset with RCCL. Trust me, it will just prolong making your new plans. Get on with your vacation and enjoy it whether it's with RCCL or not. RCCL is not offering any consolation other than an onboard credit and price protection to transfer to another Brilliance cruise after August 15 and before October 30th. I know, what good does that do? No good for me!

So, now you know you are not alone. Hope this helps some. I know....again....not much! Good luck!

Trish

I remember a thread a few months ago about another chartering. It happens every so often -- one of the down-sides of booking cruises early.

Thank you for the kind words and advise, but this is kind of like when your dog dies, you can get another dog that

looks the same but it's really not the same. So I think my wife and I will give it a rest and try again in '06

Ouch!

I've been aware of this happening but hadn't given it any thought as I booked my non-refundable airfare for our October '05 twelve night Med cruise. Airfare tends to be pretty high from where we live so booking early is the key to getting a good rate for airline tickets. I guess it's just one more little thing for me to stress over as the months go by.

I announced the Brilliance Charter on Cruise Critic in October and just last week Royal Caribbean notified me of the cancellation. I was both the agent and the pasenger. After 82 RCCL voyages we were so angry that we have cancelled our Med. sailing on RCCL and booked the Windmills and Waterford voyage on the Holland America Prinsendam. Price protection and a shipboard credit were not enough to keep us interested when the cruise line thought another Gay cruise was more important. It's all about revenue.

Karen and Bob

This is one of a number of reasons that folks are well-advised to get cruise insurance.

3 Days has got to be difficult. Especially if you're traveling across the country. I hope the compensation would be better with a 3 day notice. One reason RCCL gave for basically not even helping you get on another cruise was that the cruise was so far out yet. That's true, but for some us who follow Cruise Critics and want a certain cabin and book it a year and a half out to get it, it can be very disappointing. I had booked 1556. There's only one.....I had it..... now it's gone! There are some serious cruisers on CC who have sworn by 1554 and 1556 and I was determined to get it! And I did!

Unfortunately, insurance doesn't cover disappointment! I didn't have air booked yet, so there was no loss there. I don't think we consider "chartering" when we make the plans. So, it's definitely something to think about and if you make air arrangements, make sure that the insurance is in place at that time.

Karen and Bob,

Before I forget, I wanted to thank you for posting the information on this charter as early as you did. In spite of my initial cynicism (which is almost a default response in light of the wealth of inaccurate information posted here daily), your info proved to be 100% correct and enabled us to take care of all our customers on this sailing beyond their expectations and far in advance of the official notification.

As for air changes, my experience has been that RCCL has always covered any change fees in connection with involuntary cruise cancellations if the airline would not. I know that there are a lot of unhappy people on CC regarding this sailing, but your info was responsible for about a dozen other very happy ones.

We were bumped off our November 13, 2004 sailing of the Enchantment of the Seas.

It happens more often than you think, and people are always surprised by it.

We were able to reschedule to the October 30, 2004 sailing (one of two choices they offered with a price guarantee), but it was pretty difficult with 12 people. We had booked back in December of 2003, and when I noticed it suddenly full in February, 2004, I started asking what was going on, but was consistently told everything was fine--until April, when they called us and told us our ship had been chartered. And, since our travel agent had messed up our reservations and then dumped us on to RCI, some of our party didn't even get the price guarantee or the shipboard credit. We wrote to RCI about it, but they haven't had the courtesy to reply.

You're right that it is simply about the ship lines bottom line. I know there are people who think RCI is covered by the fine print, but I have still not found any that covers this situation. The fine print says they can change the itinerary, ports, ships, etc., but that isn't the case here. They are still taking that ship to those ports on those days--they just now say I can't be on the ship, even though they have accepted by deposit. This is only an acceptable practice because people allow it to be. I am not a proponent of law suits, but this sure looks like an excellent prospect for one.

As long as there are any regular passengers aboard the ship, they're on shaky ground. If the entire ship is chartered out, then they are covered by the condition that they're allowed to cancel any sailing (cancelling the public sailing, replacing it with a private sailing).

Normally if there are regular passengers still allowed to be on board (not aligned with any group).......more likely the cruise will be red flagged and not cancelled. My cruise in April on the Infinity was in red flag status for about 4 or 5 months and we booked 14 months in advance........it was only about a month ago, the red flag status was removed which told me group bookings didn't fill up the ship.....

FinelyCruising,

They offered 200, 400 for a suite. But, that credit is only good if we book Brilliance between August 15 - October 30, 2005. It cannot be used if we want to sail on another ship like the Jewel at the same time. That's what I cannot understand. I think it would go a long way with customers if they just allowed us to use the credit on another ship or even on Celebrity's comparable Med cruise at about the same time. I don't understand the PR approach to upset so many cruisers without at least trying to accomodate us elsewhere. As a matter of fact, there wasn't anyone who even tried to get us on another RCCL ship. They just gave us the info and said call when you decide what you want to do.

The real problem here is supply and demand. Cruising is so popular now that they just don't need to keep us happy. So, for now, we'll have to try to pick cruises that won't be chartered?

When we were bumped with 3 days notice we were offered a cruise 3 weeks later with a 6 cat upgrade and of refund of all but the port taxes. It was an Alaskan cruise out of Vancouver and we were going to drive to the port. I was able to change my vacation days at work so it worked out fine.

BTW.. We were asked if we would volunteer to be bumped. We did have a option. (It was not a RCL cruise)