Aruba Jeep Rental questions

WallyNDiane

Couple questions about Jeep rentals in Aruba:

1) Do you have to go to the airport or are there Jeeps available near the dock?

2) Is it possible to fit 6 adults in one Jeep?

3) Rough cost idea on a day rental?

4) Is it easy to find parking back at the dock for a quick lunch break?

5) Is Aruba easy to navigate?

Thanks.

Thanks.

1) There are plenty of jeeps right at the dock, but I'd reserve in advance depending on the time of year you're sailing.

2) I would only count on 4 adults per jeep

3) $65-$90 depending on the type of jeep and company

4) Very easy to find the parking, but the lot is about a block away from the shops and restaurants with a short walk. There is some parking available on the street, but I wouldn't count on getting those spaces

5) Pretty easy once you learn the different signs and you drive on the right hand side of the road, too.

Thanks.

We rented a 4X4 while in Aruba aboard the Golden Princess the first week of December. We rented through Super Car Rental in advance. We were told we'd have a Jeep Wrangler Hard Top; ended up with a Chevy Tracker hard top (I don't think they really even had actual "Jeeps". It was $89, plus we paid an extra $15 for insurance. While not a Wrangler, it still ran fine; and the 4X4 was needed in some areas. Make sure to check the fuel level; They told us up front our only had 1/4 tank but I wasn't paying attention; we had to go back towards town to fill up after a while since there weren't stations anwhere.

No road signs; we ended up following a tour bus to get the the natural bridge after we'd been driving around for a while.

We're going to be in Aruba in Febuary and were wondering about the Jeep rental also. We're putting in on a Monday at 7AM, and was wanting to look around the town first. Do you think there will be a problem trying to grab a jeep around noon or so, or do you think we should do the jeep thing first then look around?? Thanks for the input. Looking forward to it. Mike!!

We had no trouble renting a 4 x 4 Tracker for the day in Aruba during our Regal Princess stop there. One word of caution: If anyone is heat sensitive make sure the air is working. We did not think to check the air conditioner well enough and by the time the afternoon rolled around one in our tour got overwhelmed with the heat. She was riding in the back so the sun was beating down on the canvas top.

Also, the roads are not clearly marked, so you will be up for a bit of an adventure. Be sure to see Baby Beach. We really liked it, but others don't as it is close to the oil refinery and a long drive to boot.

Thanks a lot for the reply. Can you help me out just a little more and maybe supply me with a website that you pre-reserved your jeep?? I've looked around and can't seem to come up with any.

Also, Crystalsea, I kind of figured the roads weren't marked too well, but there's a map for sale that looks like it really diagrams the roads and attractions as well. Think it would be worth the 10 bucks they want for it?? Need to get on the stick now if I'm gonna get it in a month.

Thanks guys. Check back with ya later. Mike!!

Mike & Nancy: The map may be well worth the $10 if you plan on driving all over the island. We went to Baby Beach also; yes it is not that scenic but I was quite amazed at the variety and quantity of fish. Also, very shallow, quite a ways out. Chair rentals are available, I think $15 for 2 chairs.

I can't remember the web-site for Super Car Rental. I got it through this Aruba board. The post was one that had a link to a site that showed many different Aruba car rental agencies and had links to a few of their site. I do have my confirmation though, and it came from super@setarnet.aw It was signed by Urmie at Super Car Rental Aruba. It shows a class J CHardtop wranger (again it was a Chevy Tracker, but worked out just fine), for $85, plus insurance if desired. I am glad we got the hard top since it was air conditioned, it rained briefly (those we saw without hard tops looked miserable during the rain!), and we were able to lock everything securly when stopping at the beach (we also stopped at a Wendy's for a small snack before heading to the beach).

Hope you have a great trip!

Kelly

Thanks so much for the info, guys. I am SO looking forward to this trip. It's been a LONGGGGGGGGG 18 months since we booked this thing. I'm not waiting that long again, I assure you. We're gonna book our next cruise on board, we think. A lot depends whether we want to go with RCI or Princess. Both have great iteneraries(sp), so, guess we'll just have to see who gives us the better deal. Would like to do the Eastern or Southern next time. Anyway, will let you know when I reserve this, and also the outcome when we return. Great sailing, y'all. Mike!!

Thanks so much for the info, guys. I am SO looking forward to this trip. It's been a LONGGGGGGGGG 18 months since we booked this thing. I'm not waiting that long again, I assure you. We're gonna book our next cruise on board, we think. A lot depends whether we want to go with RCI or Princess. Both have great iteneraries(sp), so, guess we'll just have to see who gives us the better deal. Would like to do the Eastern or Southern next time. Anyway, will let you know when I reserve this, and also the outcome when we return. Great sailing, y'all. Mike!!

If you book on the ship, you will most likely get a ship board credit to use on that sailing.

Here is the link for Super Car Rental. I would highly recommend pre-reserving a car. We didn't need to give a credit card to reserve which was good. We met some very disgruntled people who had reserved with one of the big name car rental agencies, Hertz, I think. There was no one to rent the car from at the car rental desk even though it appeared that there was a stall for them. A lot of time was wasted for them to get a cab and get to the airport to pick up their vehicle. http://www.carrentalaruba.com/

We were able to fit 4 adults in the jeep. There is no way you could fit more. I would recommend the hard top air-conditioned jeep. We paid $85 and did not take the $15 insurance. When you see a gas station, fill up, because we only saw one gas station in all of our travels.

It was somewhat difficult to navigate. . .no signs on the streets. . .but we had a blast! I would recommend the ostrich farm. . .we just happened upon it when we thought we were lost and it was one of the highlights of our trip!

Thanks for the car rental info. I've been waiting on a response from Adventure Car Rentals for over a week and have finally given up. I sent in a reservation request - did you get a prompt response when you reserved the vehicle online?Thanks again.

Kim

I seem to recall with Super Car Rental that I had to reserve/request info more than once. I think that I didn't hear anything the first time. Then I did another request, asking for an email confirming my reservation. . .I did hear back within a couple of days then.

Good luck!

Hi,

A few months ago, our gang rented 5 or 6 Diahatsus, which are 4 wheel drive a/c vehicles through Hertz. We reserved ahead of time on the net. When you go to their website, you can indicate pickup point, and they have a place at the pier. Cost was $90 including the insurance, but we got a small discount for AARP. There was a good map provided, but roads aren't marked real well. Still, only a small island, so you can't get too lost:D Earliest you can pick them up is 8. At end of day, leave them in lot with keys in car. You have to refill gas tank to level it was at when you got it. Remember that the pumps are in liters.

We drove around the island, went to Baby Beach, natural bridge, the lighthouse, and other places, and had a great time, and would do it again in a heartbeat!

Have fun,

OOOEEE:D :D Bob and Phyl

Hi,

A few months ago, our gang rented 5 or 6 Diahatsus, which are 4 wheel drive a/c vehicles through Hertz. We reserved ahead of time on the net. When you go to their website, you can indicate pickup point, and they have a place at the pier. Cost was $90 including the insurance, but we got a small discount for AARP. There was a good map provided, but roads aren't marked real well. Still, only a small island, so you can't get too lost:D Earliest you can pick them up is 8. At end of day, leave them in lot with keys in car. You have to refill gas tank to level it was at when you got it. Remember that the pumps are in liters.

We drove around the island, went to Baby Beach, natural bridge, the lighthouse, and other places, and had a great time, and would do it again in a heartbeat!

Have fun,

OOOEEE:D :D Bob and Phyl

The day that we were in Aruba 12/24 there was NO ONE from Hertz at the pier. The people who had reserved with Hertz had to take a cab to the airport to pick up their car. I don't know if they were then allowed to leave it at the pier lot with the keys inside or not:(

• 3 weeks later...

Doreen, we used the carrentalaruba.com web site and rented a Jeep for our one day stay in Aruba, and it worked perfectly. So glad you put that up there. I asked them one question, they got right back with me, and then I did the reservation and they got back quickly again, even with a confirmation #. They gave me a Jeep soft-top, which is no big deal to us. We love the sun, so maybe even can crank it back. Thanks again for the info. Not long now. I have 5 more working days, and then off for 3 weeks. Good sailing, everyone. Mike!!

• 1 month later...

Just a note for anyone renting a jeep who is planning to go to the natural pool. Make sure you know how to fix a flat tire, and that you have all the right tools. Our jeep tour got two flat tires. The terrain is extremely rough. The hills make it more challenging, especially if it's raining (slippery rock). Our next day in Curacao, we rented a vehicle that got a flat, and the rental did not have the proper tools to fix it.

Does anyone know if there is an age limit to renting a jeep? My gf and I are both 22, going next week (march 6th) and were thinking about getting a jeep since we would like to sightsee and go snorkeling (I've been to Aruba back in 2000) and my parents go each year so I know the island and I hope I am old enough to rent ::crosses fingers::.

Not sure in Aruba. . .I don't know why 25 seems to come to mind. . .

In the United States (espcially for insurance purposes) you need to be 25. I emailed the person from carrentalaruba.com and he told me 23, which stinks because my GF and I are both 22, and don't turn 23 until June (our cruise is this upcoming March 6th) :(

Does anyone know if there is an age limit to renting a jeep? My gf and I are both 22, going next week (march 6th) and were thinking about getting a jeep since we would like to sightsee and go snorkeling (I've been to Aruba back in 2000) and my parents go each year so I know the island and I hope I am old enough to rent ::crosses fingers::.

Check out the car rental websites. I'm sure it will state minimum age for rental in Aruba.

Archived