Barcelona question re. getting to the cruise port.......

Beardie

When one gives the luggage to the Porters at the Pier, what is the customary tip?

Roughly 50 Cent to 1 Euro per bag...

so maybe 2 EUR for 3 bags...

Minimum 1 EUR...

something like this...

Regards,

HeinBloed

Beachnative,

How did you get a cab when you got off the ship?

We just returned from a cruise out of Barcelona, staying our pre-cruise night on the upper part of Las Ramblas. We are healthy and able to walk long distances, but I certainly would not have wanted to drag my luggage from the bus or metro stop over the bridge to the ship...especially if my ship was not the closest one to the bridge. We took a cab and were satisfied with the price and the experience.

Almost the same question as above, but curious if anyone has used a cab to travel in this direction? One other thread talks about 2 hr waits to get a cab, on the pier was this the reality? Would I be better to engage a van service beforehand to me us at the pier? Are the cabs allowed to come right close to the luggage pick-up location?

Seems quite expensive to pay the cruise line $120 (4 X $30 each) for transit from the pier to the airport when i figure a cab or van might be a bout $50 total.

SAS

Almost the same question as above, but curious if anyone has used a cab to travel in this direction? One other thread talks about 2 hr waits to get a cab, on the pier was this the reality? Would I be better to engage a van service beforehand to me us at the pier? Are the cabs allowed to come right close to the luggage pick-up location?

Seems quite expensive to pay the cruise line $120 (4 X $30 each) for transit from the pier to the airport when i figure a cab or van might be a bout $50 total.

SAS

Picked up a cab July 15th and it was a quick wait not 2 hours but we were the only ship in port that morning (Ruby Princess). Yes, they come right up to where you have picked up your luggage. They had taxis of various sized..vans to smaller cars. Based on my cab fare from our apartment which was northwest of the port, 3 people and 5 pieces of trunk luggage, we paid 38 Euros/approx. $53. You are looking at pretty close to the same amount from port, and maybe a little less. It was myself, my 15 year old son and 77 yr. old Mom and it was a breeze.

We have recently returned from Barcelona and agree that a cab is the best solution unless you hate being taken advantage of. If you simply accept that it will cost €20 from the city centre and write it off because it is convenient (and I too would try to dissuade anyone from walking over 'that' bridge with heavy suitcases) you'll be fine.

Please do not look at all the information online about what the cab fare should actually be, it will only make you angry when you are asked for €20+. Barcelona taxi drivers have little sense of direction, only use sat navs when it takes them to roadworks / diversions, are very creative when it comes to 'extras' and can only speak English after your money is in their pocket.

Be prepared for a wait at the end of the cruise. We were very lucky getting a cab then. We only waited a few minutes but others in our party waited over 2 hours! If you've got a flight to catch, give yourselves plenty of time or make alternative arrangements.

The wait for a cab is probably dependent on how many ships are in port that day. Both the NCL Gem and the Royal Voyager are there on a Sunday. Plus, I believe that the day we disembarked the Royal Brillance was also disembarking. :eek: We opted for a ships tour to Montserrat, which worked out wonderfully for us.

The wait for a cab is probably dependent on how many ships are in port that day. Both the NCL Gem and the Royal Voyager are there on a Sunday. Plus, I believe that the day we disembarked the Royal Brillance was also disembarking. :eek: We opted for a ships tour to Montserrat, which worked out wonderfully for us.

Do you know how I can find out what ships will be there the day we disembark? Is there some place I can look this up?

We took the metro from Placa Catalunya a couple of stops to Drassanes. It's then a couple of hundred yards walk from the metro to the Port Bus stop and cost us just a few euros and very little hassle. 4 of us, with our bags, would have needed 2 taxis so we saved a lot of euros by doing it on our own.

For Barcelona I might help with a cab for 6 passengers but no baggage!!! So for shore excursion it would be fine.

This is a big big world... so which other ports???

Regards,

HeinBloed

What about Granada?

Need help on where will NCL Gem dock, how far from the port to the city center. We are planning to catch red # 32 minibus from Plaza Isabel La Catolica to Alhambra.

Any information will be appreciated.

What about Granada?

Need help on where will NCL Gem dock, how far from the port to the city center. We are planning to catch red # 32 minibus from Plaza Isabel La Catolica to Alhambra.

Any information will be appreciated.

I think you are talking of Malaga as port of call...

2009-MSC-FTS-09026.jpg

The ship is left and THE DOUBLE distance to the white lighthouse would be the distance to the city center (which is right of the lighthouse).

Estimated 30 minutes walk.

Regards,

HeinBloed

I think you are talking of Malaga as port of call...

2009-MSC-FTS-09026.jpg

The ship is left and THE DOUBLE distance to the white lighthouse would be the distance to the city center (which is right of the lighthouse).

Estimated 30 minutes walk.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Thanks for reply

According to the itinerary, our ship will dock on Granada (Malaga). Is Malaga the port and Granada is the name of the city/town?

We will be there from 8 to 6, will we have enough time to go to Alhambra by our self?

When disembarking, there were plenty of cabs available, what the hold up was loading them up. They were loading and dispatching them as quickly as possible but it still took time.

I will say that people were very orderly--didn't see any cutting in line, etc. The waiting area for the line was shaded.

We arranged for independent transportation to the airport the first time (five of us) self disembarked as soon as we could, and there was no line at the cab stand. However, on our last cruise, we stayed on the ship as long as we could because we were staying over in Barcelona and knew our hotel room would not be available until early afternoon. We were "thrown off" around 9:30 a.m. We probably got into the line when it was as bad as it was going to be and it was around 1 to 1-1/4 hour from leaving the ship until getting in the cab. The line was never as long as when we got into it.

Tucker in Texas

Thanks for reply

According to the itinerary, our ship will dock on Granada (Malaga). Is Malaga the port and Granada is the name of the city/town?

We will be there from 8 to 6, will we have enough time to go to Alhambra by our self?

Sorry - I do not want to be rude or mean...

But can you have a look into a map - please... just to make sure that are no misunderstandings:

Are you talking about Granada in Spain???

Have a look here:

http://www.viamichelin.de

Malaga is the port and the name of city.

And the distance to Granada is about 80-90 miles = 1 1/2 - 2 hours. Granada is not a the coast.

Some cruise ship are calling Almeria for Granada.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Sorry - I do not want to be rude or mean...

But can you have a look into a map - please... just to make sure that are no misunderstandings:

Are you talking about Granada in Spain???

Have a look here:

http://www.viamichelin.de

Malaga is the port and the name of city.

And the distance to Granada is about 80-90 miles = 1 1/2 - 2 hours. Granada is not a the coast.

Some cruise ship are calling Almeria for Granada.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Yes, I am talking Granada as in Spain.

I found this shore excursion at NCL website

Granada & The Magnificent Alhambra

And according to the tour book that we read, you can get there by bus from down town Granada.

Thank very much for the information, I have to search more.

Thank very much for all the help.

I have a clear picture of those two city after looked at the map.

It looks like we may not have enough time to go to Alhambra by our self.

The ship tour cost 186.00 per person, and we have 8 in our group.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived