Anyone Recently Used Ramses Tours?

CRUISERTN

Wondering if anyone has recently used Ramses Tours for an overnight tour while in Egypt? Will be using them in a few months and was wondering if someone could give a review of how their recent tour was with them. I have read many posts from people who are booked with them for upcoming excursions, but not from anyone who has actually used them recently. Did you visit everything as planned? Any info will be most appreciated.

We used Ramses last April and they were great! Everything was exactly as we wished and they were flex when we wanted to skip a few things and add others. It was a dream for me and I would use them again. We were two adults and 2 children ages 8 and 10. Our son is in love with all things Egyotian and our guide was so nice too him. Don't expect Egyptian hotel stars to match American stars. Just appreciate it for what it is, DON"T EAT ANY RAW OR SLIGHTLY COOKED FRUIT OR VEG, even grilled, EVEN just one tiny piece of grilled onion or you might be sorry :)

• 3 months later...
Hi!

I was wondering if at most of the tourist sites it is easy to find a guide who can explain everything to you????

I have read on other forums that it is cheaper to do everything 'by yourself' but will we have problems finding a guide who can speak Spanish???

Any advice is welcome

Thank you in advance.

Egypt is one place you shouldn't do on your own. Transportation is a nightmare! I don't think we saw anyone, other than private guides, on location to answer questions. Every place we went was packed with people. You really need a guide and driver from start to finish who can help you navigate the sites and explain what you are seeing. Contact the tour operators mentioned here to see if you can have a Spanish speaking guide. Our Ramses guide spoke eight different languages! The cost of a private guide will be less than with the ship tours.

Edited by Grannycb

Hi!

I was wondering if at most of the tourist sites it is easy to find a guide who can explain everything to you????

I have read on other forums that it is cheaper to do everything 'by yourself' but will we have problems finding a guide who can speak Spanish???

Any advice is welcome

Thank you in advance.

I agree with Grannycb. At the best of times, Cairo would be difficult to negotiate on your own and at this time, since the revolution, the police are still not "up to speed" so to speak.

It is definitely the recommendation of seasoned travelers, here and at other sites, to get a guided tour to anywhere in Egypt, but especially around Cairo.

Any of the tour companies that are recommended on this forum could find you a Spanish-speaking tour guide.

Best of luck.

We were a group of 10 and used Ramses for a 2 day tour to Cairo. Our tour guide Rania was fantastic. Our driver was awesome. We had a 20 passenger bus that was very comfortable and we all felt safe. I would highly recommend this company.

We used Ramses in December. There were just four of us. Words can not describe how much we enjoyed trip. It was one of the best excursions I have ever had. Osama, our guide, had answers to all our questions. He was very proud of Egypt's history and the contributions his nation has made to the world.

my wife and i used ramses tours " i booked on the internet" before we left australia.

everything went like clockwork, 13hr x 1 day round trip from alexandria to cairo and back

new ''clean'' vehicle,and the guide was terrific

this was in january this year

and for a very modest tip,they keep the sellers away from you at the pyramids / sphinx

use them,they are teriffic

have a lovely cruise

nodandade

• 2 weeks later...
I read a few old threads and they were mixed about tipping using dollars. Some said it was fine, others said that you will get hassled. Please let me know, dollars would be easier for us to take and use, but we don't want to offend anyone. Thank you for any help

Are you asking about using USD on Ramses Tours or about using them everywhere?

We took a tour with Ramses in Alexandria this week. They took USD. Dollars were accepted everywhere we went except the Fish Market restaurant. Our guide paid in Egyptian currency and we paid him back in USD.

• 3 weeks later...

Visited Egypt in May on the Star Princess. Booked the two day overnight tour with Ramses. The job they did for us was outstanding in every regard. We were a group of eight cruising together and had selected this cruise because of the stop in Egypt. Our expectations were set very high and Ramses did not disappoint us. Our guide was superb, the transportation was comfortable, the restaurants were very good, and our hotel at the pyramids was really first class. And the price was a give away compared to the Princess sponsored options. I give Ramses the highest marks and would recommend them without hesitation.

I would also give Ramses Tours an A+++ rating. I had a pretty complete itinerary of everything we wanted to see and George was able to accommodate us. This was prior to the Egyptian crisis. Our guide was Osama "but call me Sammy". He was excellent and extremely knowledgeable as to everything to do with his country. There were 5 couples and we had our own air conditioned van. Ramses Tours prices were much lower than doing a similar tour with Celebrity Cruises.

• 1 month later...
Does anyone who has taken an overnight tour with Ramses have thoughts on hotels? Do you think it makes sense to get an upgraded hotel?

I have written a few posts on this question and here's a couple of them:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1452430

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1464800

Hope they help.

Seems like an odd question, but how long does it take to drive the 100 miles to the pyramids? How does it work if you have to go to the restroom. Thanks in advance :)

it took 3 hours from ship docked in alexandria to giza pyramids. not much traffic. on way back from cairo museum to alexandria waterfront, it was just a bit longer drive because traffic getting out of cairo was busy.

we stopped at a clean rest stop once on each trip-10 min. stop. they are same as we have here-with toilets, drinks, snacks, few shops. our guide gave us money for toilets & drinks, so we did not change money. paid in us$.

we booked with EPE, stayed at mena house, asked for room close to restaurants reception-because of sore leg, and they upgraded us to pyramid view.

Our tour with Ramses was GREAT. We did the Overnight in Cairo staying at the Oberoi Mena House and it was well worth every cent of the $50 upgrade fee. The hotel was beautfiul. We paid extra also for a pyramid view room and that was fantastic. The balcony was so huge and the views were spectacular, expecially at night when they lit the pyramids up.

We did not want to leave. The grounds of the hotel were just as beautfiul and not to worry if you have a room that is not close to the lobby as they have a golf cart service that will take you to your room and pick you up at no charge.

Rest stops are clean, but the best tip someone gave us for the Holy Land Tour is to take Charmin To Go with you. In Egypt they had a woman inside the rest room handing out toilet paper and it was only one square sheet per person and they charged for it. It came in handy in Israel as well. It is a very small roll of toilet paper that will esily fit in your purse.

Local Egytians preferred the US Dollar for currency. When we were there in Oct 2010, 1 USD was equal to 5 pounds.

I agree wtih Dog that it did take us about 3 hours to get from Alexandria to Cairo.

What ship are you cruising on as I didnt know that the ships were going back into Egypt yet. We are on the Celebrity Silhouette next month and they have a Holy Land before us, but it is not stopping in Egypt unless they just changed it. They were doing extra time in Israel and Turkey instead.

George with Ramses is a great guy and his customer service was 100 percent with us.

The Norwegian Jade is scheduled to stop at Port Said and move on to Alexandria on Oct. 20 and 21. We have anxiously wathced developments for weeks, of course. So far the Egypt stop remains scheduled and we are looking forward to our night at Mena House.

it took 3 hours from ship docked in alexandria to giza pyramids. not much traffic. on way back from cairo museum to alexandria waterfront, it was just a bit longer drive because traffic getting out of cairo was busy.

we stopped at a clean rest stop once on each trip-10 min. stop. they are same as we have here-with toilets, drinks, snacks, few shops. our guide gave us money for toilets & drinks, so we did not change money. paid in us$.

we booked with EPE, stayed at mena house, asked for room close to restaurants reception-because of sore leg, and they upgraded us to pyramid view.

Thanks Dog! :)

I am so glad to hear that the ships are starting to go back into Egypt. Another tip for those going to Egypt is to take plenty of single dollars. We had 50 with us. They come in handy with the tipping and also the purchases. There are many local vendors around the sites selling items and mostly it will be only 1 or 2 dollars. I am still kicking myself for not buying more of these beautfiul cloth small zippered change purses with beautfiul Egyptian designs on them, they were 10 for 1.00. I should have bought ten dollars worth..I use mine everyday. Also the pens that were for sale for 1 dollar were great. These are tye type of souveniers to buy along the way, as we didnt have much time for shopping and also they were small enough and nice enough gift that did not exceed the weight limit coming home on the plane.

I wanted to stay at the Mena House rather then go back and finish the cruise, that is how great it was. Dont forget to check out the beautful shirts that they embroider for you with your name on it at the Mena house, great quality and a great price.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone! I posted yesterday but it seems to have disappeared? We are scheduled to stay at Horizons Pyramids on our Rames tour later this month, has anyone stayed there?

More scary news from Cairo this morning, I hope our ship still finds it safe enough for us to stop.

So Ramses claims "the demonstration is over , they solved the problem now its calm again". Unfortunately, solving the problem involved the death of 26 people, and I find it hard to believe that all is calm. But of course, Ramses has a vested interest in reassuring tourists because they obviously wouldn't want any cancellations........