Colombus Monument Barcelona

This monument is simply a large statue located near the water-side part of the Ramblas. It also is a popular landmark since its located in the heart of the touristy part of Barcelona and a good meeting place. Other than looking at the statute from the street it serves no useful purpose...has no elevators, stairs, etc.

Hank

Hank, are you talking about the Columbus monument in Barcelona????

There is a small lift that takes you to the top of the column (just below where the statue stands). When I was last in Barcelona (2007) I think it was 3 or 4 euro to go up -- not very expensive.

I'm not big on heights, so I didn't go up myself, but several members of my group did it and thought it was well worth it. Only a few people go up at a time.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g187497-d246168-r13224552-Columbus_Monument_Monument_a_Colom-Barcelona_Catalonia.html

Hank, are you talking about the Columbus monument in Barcelona????

There is a small lift that takes you to the top of the column (just below where the statue stands). When I was last in Barcelona (2007) I think it was 3 or 4 euro to go up -- not very expensive.

I'm not big on heights, so I didn't go up myself, but several members of my group did it and thought it was well worth it. Only a few people go up at a time.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g187497-d246168-r13224552-Columbus_Monument_Monument_a_Colom-Barcelona_Catalonia.html

Egads! I do stand corrected. I guess the statue is about 150 feet high, but never noticed any kind of lift. For even more spectacular views of the harbor and city one can also take the cable car that spans the entire harbor.

Hank

Egads! I do stand corrected. I guess the statue is about 150 feet high, but never noticed any kind of lift. For even more spectacular views of the harbor and city one can also take the cable car that spans the entire harbor.

Hank

I have stood in front of that statue/column countless times to catch the port bus and never knew you could go up in it!!! Learn something new here on these boards everyday:D Now I'll just have to book another Med cruise just to check it out.

Thanks everyone for your input. Since I am not claustrophobic, I will take the lift to the top for some photos. Usually when I visit a city that has a tall statue or tower I do a search of it to see if it has a way to the top. That's how I knew Columbus had a lift.

Thanks everyone for your input. Since I am not claustrophobic, I will take the lift to the top for some photos. Usually when I visit a city that has a tall statue or tower I do a search of it to see if it has a way to the top. That's how I knew Columbus had a lift.

If you are ever in Philly, you can go to the top of Billy Penn (City Hall).

Archived