Solstice in General

We were thinking about taking our first Celebrity cruise next year on the Solstice when it will be in the Caribbean year round. We have heard that Celebrity can be more upscale, which is something we are not sure if we would like. We have cruised with Royal Caribbean before and like their ships alot, so we were wondering how upscale the Solstice is. Also, what sorts of things are there to do onboard Celebrity? ... I guess what I am getting at is how would Solstice compare to Royal Caribbean? (And if this is not the right place to post this, feel free to move it)

I have not yet done Solstice, but have done both Royal Caribbean and Celebrity.

I agree that Celebrity in general is a bit more upscale. This is where I saw the difference:

*Celebrity gave you a glass of sparkling wine as you boarded

*Celebrity had minimal overhead announcements (i.e. no announcement for bingo, art auctions etc.).

*Food was slightly better in quality and presentation. This was most noticeable in the buffet area.

There are also similarities:

*Service was fairly equal on both lines

*Spas almost identical - both run by Steiner

*Evening shows fairly similar

*Similar activities such as trivia, bingo, blackjack tourneys etc.

There are some perks Royal has:

*More nightlife

*Celebrity does not have something similar to Quest

*Royal's ships have more things like rock climbing, mini golf, flowrider etc.

In general Celebrity will attract a slightly older average age, but on the Solstice class you likely will find more younger people than on Celebrity's older ships. Solstice class has some unique things to offer such as the lawn (croquet, golf putting etc.) as well as the glass blowing demonstration. The Aqua Class stateroom concept is also very appealing. There also are four specialty restaurants (five counting Blu) on Solstice class, so great options for fine dining if welling to pay a bit more.

My first few cruises were on Royal, but because of Celebrity's smoking policy (very friendly to non smokers), beautiful new ships, and now their ramped up loyalty program Celebrity is now by far my line of choice.

We were thinking about taking our first Celebrity cruise next year on the Solstice when it will be in the Caribbean year round. We have heard that Celebrity can be more upscale, which is something we are not sure if we would like. We have cruised with Royal Caribbean before and like their ships alot, so we were wondering how upscale the Solstice is. Also, what sorts of things are there to do onboard Celebrity? ... I guess what I am getting at is how would Solstice compare to Royal Caribbean? (And if this is not the right place to post this, feel free to move it)

The Solstice is very enjoyable cruising experience on a gorgeous ship. I don't think you will notice that much difference; but, to me, it does have a little more sophisticated feel. I love both lines, but prefer Celebrity. You can see lots of photos of the Solstice and read our experiences in our review at www.thepreismans.com .

We sail Celebrity and Royal Caribbean somewhat interchangably. We enjoy both lines and have had wonderful cruise experiences on ships throughout both fleets. We love the Radiance class ships on RCI but we REALLY love the Solstice class ships on Celebrity. The best words I can use to describe Solstice are "comfortable" and "sophisticated" (in a good way). I think Celebrity's food is a bit better (in our opinion) but we are generally happy on both lines.

We are not fans of the super mega ships so Celebrity size ships suit us better (along with the Radiance class ships). Even though Solstice is slightly bigger than the M-class and Radiance class ships, she doesn't compare in size to the Voyager or Freedom class ships. If you are comfortable on RCI ships, I think you'd enjoy Celebrity ships. The crew is awesome, the food is generally very good (lots of options, too) and Solstice is beautiful!

ENJOY whatever you decide!

My first few cruises were on Royal, but because of Celebrity's smoking policy (very friendly to non smokers), beautiful new ships, and now their ramped up loyalty program Celebrity is now by far my line of choice.

I would like to hear - after both times cruised what you thought about the ship the first and second time around.

I agree with previous comments and will add that Dress code is a little higher on Celebrity. Celebrity requests no jeans at Main Dining dinner, while RCI makes no such request. Dress Code is not strictly enforced on either line, but Celebrity is generally a little dresser, but not enough that it is likely to bother most people.

we also sail both lines--Solstice is like a larger Radiance ship that is more modern, elegant & stylish! More dining choices, better food, great service, jazz combos, better shows & a more sophicticated pax demo . Also no announcements or hairy legs contests!!!... Royal is a bit more casual & relaxed.

depends on identifying what you like most about Royal , then you can compare...

Hi,

We did Solstice E. Med in June in Aqua Class (I am now totally spolied). Interestingly enough the dress code which had provoked so many comments was not over the top.

During the day(very port intensive itinerary) we were in port clothes-shorts/light weight slacks.Evening ladies in black slacks and classic tops. Men at dinner in Blu were in Polo style shirts/ Tommy Bahama-button shirts & or a blazer. Formal nights were dressy but most men were in blazers & slacks. Food in Blu was very good. Cabin was not as large as on other ships we have been on but the balacony (and ports) made AQ worthwhile. We were on Explorer of the Seas in 2005. At that time we thought food was tasteless-little no none saesoning, cabins were work & dirty. Since then I have heard good things about RCL would be intrested in what other who have sailed recently think

Carole

Archived