Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Travelcat2

Things that you should know about the ships

There is currently a thread about what is good about Regent. Well, almost everything, so, it should be a short thread.

What comes up every couple of weeks are questions about particular ships. Whether it be where the best suites are, about possible vibrations on the ship, do you really need to book dining reservations in advance etc. So, let's talk about that. Here is my take.

Suites in general: I learned from an officer on board to always look at what is above the suite you are want to select. Is the pool above? If so, you probably will hear scraping of chairs during the day (not a big deal to most people). Also, if you are near the tenders, you will hear noise when they are raised or lowered. This will only happen twice a day.

Are you below the gym? The noise issue is obvious. If you prone to seasickness, select a suite on a low deck -- mid-ship.

Dining reservations: Prime 7 debuted this year and remains extremely popular. It really is necessary to book as soon as you can (30 days prior to the date of sailing) online in order to get a reservation for the day you would like. At the moment, Signatures is not as difficult to reserve. Can you just walk in and get a table? Generally not, but, some people have been fortunate. Usually, if you are willing to join a larger table, it will be easier to get that reservation.

Vibration(s). The Mariner does not have a vibration. The Voyager was damaged after she was first built and does have an aft vibration that seems to be affected by the speed of the ship. It is felt only exclusively in the aft of the ship. The higher the deck, the more the vibration.

The Navigator's vibration is caused by it's hull. As repeat passengers know, this was initially going to be a Russian spy ship. When the Solviet Union fell, it was just sitting there. It was purchased and built into the Navigator. To us, this is the most intimate ship of the three. This vibration if a a bit stronger than on the Voyager -- but only in rough seas (at least that has been our experience). In calm seas there can be little if any vibration. To be safe, book a suite low and mid-ship.

Will let others pipe in and give their opinions.:)

Now this is an interesting post and I am led to wonder can be it’s purpose. It is negative in the extreme, offering only aspects of Regent ships which the poster suggests are poor. Why should Regent ships be singled out for supposed noise below the top deck or by the tenders or indeed by the gym. Noise from anchors was omitted but I guess some “officer” may have noticed it and commented. And why comment on the selection of a mid-ship suite to minimise sea-sickness. This is not peculiar to Regent, I guess.

Dining reservations are really no problem providing the advance booking system is working. I have heard of no-one who hasn’t been able to get a table during their cruise, sometimes more than once.

What can prospective Cruisers learn or think about this post except to leave Regent well alone. You will pay a lot of money for a possibly noisy suite, pitching up and down, without getting your night in a preferred restaurant.

I will just add the disarming JMHO !!!

Now this is an interesting post and I am led to wonder can be it’s purpose. It is negative in the extreme, offering only aspects of Regent ships which the poster suggests are poor. Why should Regent ships be singled out for supposed noise below the top deck or by the tenders or indeed by the gym. Noise from anchors was omitted but I guess some “officer” may have noticed it and commented. And why comment on the selection of a mid-ship suite to minimise sea-sickness. This is not peculiar to Regent, I guess.

Dining reservations are really no problem providing the advance booking system is working. I have heard of no-one who hasn’t been able to get a table during their cruise, sometimes more than once.

What can prospective Cruisers learn or think about this post except to leave Regent well alone. You will pay a lot of money for a possibly noisy suite, pitching up and down, without getting your night in a preferred restaurant.

I will just add the disarming JMHO !!!

"Negative to the extreme"????? What would have been negative is if people like myself had not known about these things. Do you really think a Regent officer would advise us not to book a suite under the gym to hurt Regent? Would you have preferred me to state: All of the suites are wonderful -- it doesn't matter which one you book? You won't get seasick anywhere and there is absolutely no noise on board Regent ships? And perhaps. . . . don't worry about making a dining reservation in advance. It's no big deal if it is booked up -- you always have Compass Rose (which is excellent).

These questions are asked on a regular basis. Those of us who answer the questions and make suite recommendations are usually thanked for the information we provide.

Please do not turn a thread that was meant to be a general discussion into something negative. That is not fair to the people reading it. If you disagree with anything posted, you can always give the other side of the story.

I do not see this thread as negative, but rather as a counterpoint to the thread "For New Regent Cruisers", which is intended to be all glowingly positive, and in which the OP suggested a counterpoint thread be started for essential but not necessarily negative information.

I suspect this thread will be shorter than the other one.

I respectfully disagree with the idea that Travelcat2's original post was in any way negative. This is precisely the type of information that I was looking for when I started reading this forum. As a first time cruiser and first time Regent customer I was very interested in hard-to-find details about the ships and the company. Every item in the original post has been said more than once in other posts over the past few months. It seems reasonable to put them all together since these are things people obviously want to know.

I see it as negative because there is not a single thing there, except perhaps the issue of vibration, which does not apply to every cruise ship. All can be noisy and I, personally, see no reason to suggest Regent has these problems more than others.. Indeed the positive side could be emphasised that Regent's insulation is very good and to be commended.

I see it as negative because there is not a single thing there, except perhaps the issue of vibration, which does not apply to every cruise ship. All can be noisy and I, personally, see no reason to suggest Regent has these problems more than others.. Indeed the positive side could be emphasised that Regent's insulation is very good and to be commended.

Again, the purpose was a discussion. Stating that the insulation is very good is something I didn't think about.

I also do not disagree that suite selection is similiar on different ships (except for the fact that Regent does not have obstructed views and inside cabins). The fact that suite selection may be similiar on Regent does not change the fact that this is information that news cruisers ask all the time.

Can online reservations be made at speciality restaurants on all ships? I truly don't know. I should have added that there is no extra charge for these dining venues.

Also forgot to state differences between the Navigator and the other two ships in terms of size and number of dining venues and the smaller suites on the Mariner. . . . there are lots of things to share . . . that was the purpose of starting this thread.

Maybe someone should start a 3rd one -- a debate about Regent. Then it will be acceptable to be combative:confused:

I've never understood why people get so uptight about a deck chair being moved or several chairs being moved above them on the pool deck or in restaurants etc. It's not like the noise is continuous or happening non stop every day. Guess it's just me, but I don't get what's the big deal. Editing to add, that if you have a butler then you will not have a problem getting a reservation. They seem to always get what the layman can't. Also, even without the butler I never had any trouble getting reservations for dining as long as I wasn't leaving it to the same day. I love the Navigator but like the rest of you I would always make sure I didn't book near the vibration.

Pat

Yes, let's stop arguing, children.

Navigator is smaller and a bit more intimate. It has fewer dining choices than Mariner or Voyager. But the public areas are very nice (I think.) She was built as an ice-class ship, so has an ordinary hull with no navigation pods. Quite a bouncy little ship in big swells. Very nice pool deck. Show lounge can be fairly bouncy and unstable during heavy weather as well. Staterooms, even mid-ship, can creak a bit.

Voyager has this pesky vibration from damage received on its shakedown cruise. So avoid certain aft cabins; get advice from an experienced TA on this one. Other than that, I can't say anything negative. La Veranda is a casual-always dining room, but be aware that on formal nights you still need a jacket on the lounges, even if you go to La Veranda. Voyager can rock and roll too, in large waves, but is very stable most of the time.

Yes, let's stop arguing, children.

Please don't put it quite that way! ;)

Host Dan

Host Dan

:D:D

Okay -- the best nights to dine in Compass Rose (IMO) are the nights of the Captain's Reception (typically the 2nd night) and the Captain's Farewell. Compass Rose seems to have an extra special menu on those evenings.

In any restaurant, you can order double portions, ask for an appetizer to be served as a main course (or visa versa).

Side note on the Navigator -- they currently have two dining venues and will have three after dry dock in January, 2010 when Prime 7 will be added.

The Mariner has the most public spaces -- even more than it's sister ship, the Voyager. Although similiar in size, the Mariner's smaller suites gives the rest of the ship a lot more space. The Navigator has lovely, smaller public spaces and did not have enough room to add the coffee corner (they do have a wonderful coffee machine in the Navigator bar).

We have only sailed on the Mariner and Navigator. On the Mariner, coffee/cappuccino/etc. and tea are available from a machine (self-serve) 24 hours a day that is right beside the coffee bar. On the Navigator, the same type of machine is available in the lounge on deck 11. For those people who like to walk/jog; there is designated space available on both ships but there are time constraints for certain areas to ensure that noise does not affect people who are booked in the suites below these areas. If it is too windy on those decks, the pool deck has some protection and tends to be empty very early in the morning :D. Some people are quite grumpy in the later hours (after 7:00 a.m.) and do not like to be "overtaken" when doing their laps, but will move if they know you are behind them. Do not assume that all people can hear you and will automatically move.

If you smoke, both the pool deck and deck 11 on the Navigator are used by morning smokers. You can smoke in some of the lounges and, though I no longer do, some of "us" are happy to sit with you. The Mariner has a variety of options for people who smoke and someone who has travelled on her more recently could chime in to give you current information.

If you are mailing postcards, make sure that the country you are mailing them to (unless you are from the USA) is in large letters and pointed out to staff or they go in to cyberspace.

If you do not have a room service menu in the binder, ask your room attendant. If you want specific alcohol in your room, ask your room attendant. If you are a diabetic and would like certain snacks in the room, let your room attendant know. If you want to sit with others in the dining room/if you'd like to sit alone while you dine, ask the maitre'd. If you want a specific meal and have not seen it offered, ask the maitre'd. If you want food with more spice, let the waiter know and you will get more spice (some you add yourself to ensure it is not too spicy). If you want to do your own laundry, soap is provided but anything you use in the dryer such as static cling sheets/balls are not. If you expect formal dining, do not go to the buffet for breakfast/lunch. Instead, go to Compass Rose. I'm sure others will chime in with their suggestions.

When you are disembarking the ship at a port, there are bottles of water for you to take with you -- Regent towels if you are in a beach area and umbrellas if it is raining.

When we were last on the Navigator, in addition to detergent for the washing machine, there was some type of automatic hook-up to dispense softener. Really beautiful Miele machines -- wish I had them at home.

Tea in the afternoon is lovely (no requirement to drink tea:-) This is followed by Trivia which is well attended and very competitive. If you are a couple on your own, don't be surprised if you are asked to join a group (maximum 6 in a group). They need as many brains working on the questions as possible.

After a rocky start this is turning into a most educational and useful thread. Even though I've been reading everything on this forum for several months I've learned a lot already. Keep it coming, please.

Just a quickie. . . . for breakfast at Sundays there is caviar & champagne/mimosa's. We prefer going to La Veranda (on the Mariner or Voyager) or Portofino on the Navigator as it is usually help yourself. The caviar is set out with all the proper accoutrements. Alternatively, you can order caviar with your breakfast in Compass Rose:)

We generally plan to board just before noon, hand carry our formal wear go directly to our cabin. We then introduce ourselves to our steward/ess; hang our formal wear then head for a leisurally lunch. Normally, after lunch our cabin is ready and we can unpack,

check with steward/ess on our special requests. We then take a quick tour on board, verifying our spa appointments. We are then ready to enjoy a relaxing sailaway.

We prefer the Heidsek monopole champagne over the Regent daily pour and request it daily.

If you like to take a steam bath or sauna they are available at the spa at no charge in

separate men and women's area.

We like to jog, on the Voyager have found 0545-0645 is optimum time--not a lot of

traffic. Another optimum time for a jog/swim is between 6:15-7pm when the majority

of cruisers are getting dressed for dinner.

On the Voyager we enjoy a drink or two before dinner in the observation lounge..great service, view and music.

This has been mentioned before, but if you would like another dining opportunity

in Prime7 or Signatures see the M'D at lunch and ask to be waitlisted or if ask if space is available.

Please do not be a satellite newspaper hog and take the libary copies from the library--so the printed copies remain in the libary for everyone's use..for luxury use some of your OBC to buy your own copies of USA Today, WSJ delivered every a.m. to your cabin.

In the Compass Rose if you have found an area/waiter/waitress that are the bomb, request that area to be seated in when you come in for dinner.

Please take time to fill out the end of cruise critique and by name highlight the

crew that have gone above and beyond the call of service. I email Mark Conroy

directly when crew members have truly excelled.

When you return please post your comments (better a review) on CC.

Most importantly, Fair Winds and Following Seas and have a truly great Regent Cruise

Preview the evening menu's in the Gaileo Lounge on the Navigator, or the Observation Lounge on the Mariner or Voyager (all meals are also shown on television).

Host Dan

Children???? ON REGENT???? Say it ain't so!!! The horror!!!!

- if you're in a suite with Butler service, you will have canapes delivered daily, late afternoon - you can request what you would like

- if you're in a suite without Butler service you may still request canapes be delivered daily

- if you feel like staying in for an evening and just watching tv, hot, buttered popcorn is a nice treat (or anything else you'd like!)

- ask at the desk for a tour of the bridge - it's fun to see and nice to talk with crew members - you also get a peak at some of the officers' quarters - and while on the bridge, get your picture taken sitting in the Captain's chair

- ask for a tour of the kitchens - really interesting!

- if it's your first Regent cruise, don't wait until the last couple of days to get out and experience the whole ship - unfortunately we did just that and i'm afraid we missed out on quite a lot

This thread is really interesting. Thanks to all the contributors.

We are in the process of deciding on the Sept 8, 2010 cruise from Vancouver to Beijing on Navigator. I can assure you that as a potential new cruiser on Regent and a regular reader of CruiseCritic, that the recent tone of posts on other threads has been very entertaining to read and had no effect on whether we choose Regent.

We will be choosing one of the lowest grade cabins on Navigator. Can someone explain the difference in deck 5 and 6 ocean view cabins? It looks from the plans like the deck 6 cabins have some sort of companionway outside the window.

Thanks,

Steve.

This thread is remarkable.....so much information! Thank you, Travelcat, for starting this, and to all the rest of you with such invaluable information to share!

This thread is really interesting. Thanks to all the contributors.

We are in the process of deciding on the Sept 8, 2010 cruise from Vancouver to Beijing on Navigator. I can assure you that as a potential new cruiser on Regent and a regular reader of CruiseCritic, that the recent tone of posts on other threads has been very entertaining to read and had no effect on whether we choose Regent.

We will be choosing one of the lowest grade cabins on Navigator. Can someone explain the difference in deck 5 and 6 ocean view cabins? It looks from the plans like the deck 6 cabins have some sort of companionway outside the window.

Thanks,

Steve.

On deck 6, the starboard side are suites with balconies category E. You're correct about the suites on the port side -- they have a walkway used by the crew (category G window suites). I would think you would need to keep your curtains drawn during the day. All of deck 5 are category G window suites.

The two suites on deck 6 that are talked about quite a bit on the boards is "600" and "601". Both are over 500 sq. ft. -- 600 is a window suite -- 601 a balcony. There is one rather big drawback to these two suites. Very early in the morning there is a horrendous noise (not sure if it is the anchor or ???). Other than that, it's fine. It does feel the motion of the ocean quite a bit (as do the other forward suites).

Glad to hear that some posts on other threads haven't scared your off;)

Hi Everyone! This is by far the best thread that I have read on this board, or any board for that matter. Thanks to all for sharing their info. I will report a detailed review of our Sing/Syd Mariner cruise in November. I know it will be great and aided, too, by the tips I've read today. Thanks again!

I think we're all having fun with this thread. I just remembered baby lamb chops. IMO, everyone should dine in their suite or balcony for breakfast at least once. Everyone raves about how wonderful the baby lamb chops are for breakfast (I don't eat lamb chops:o). They do not appear on the breakfast menu -- you have to write it in.

Also, unless you only like a tiny ball of cream cheese (the size of an large olive) with your bagel, write in 2 or 3 "portions please".

Remembering all of this is really making me more excited for our September 7th cruise;)