Things that you should know about the ships

Interestingly, creeping into English usage by some younger people - and copying American, and maybe Canadian usage - is the phrase can I get as in "Can I get a cup of coffee?" when asking for said article. This sounds very odd to me as I would use "May I have a cup of coffee?" If I were to be serving and someone said to me "Can I get a cup of coffee?" my response would be "Yes you can, but would you like one?"

But then I am probably just showing my age.

I do the same thing, as in "Can I ask a question?" "Yes, you just did!"

Firstly, jhp, this thread is not about children. I would prefer to keep this on track if possible as it's intent was to give information to new and not so new cruisers about the ships, etc.

How diverse Regent's clientele is was a side issue. Just in case you missed my post on the previous page, my interest in the number of European's on recent cruises has to do with my DH who is hoping to find fellow British passengers on our coming cruise since it departs from England. This subject could possibly make a good topic for a separate thread.

Peek-a-Boo: yes, you actually hit the nail on the head (so to speak). Regent has not had more than 700 passengers on the Mariner and Voyager or 490 on the Navigator (give or take 10 or so people) -- at least not that has been reported on CC or any other boards that I always read prior to the last 2 months.

There was a report on a board that the Navigator had 3 people more than the "490" and that three staff departed the ship in Istanbul. Note: I have no way of verifying this other than to state that it was on another cruise board.

"Regulars" on the Regent board have posted dissatisfaction with various things in the past that have been corrected by Regent. Most recently were hundreds of posts complaining about the dress code. As many know, the dress code was changed last month. Prior to that was an issue with passengers on cancelled cruises getting their refunds in a timely manner. Not only was this corrected, but, the President of Regent posted a letter on CruiseCritic regarding this topic.

Posting about Regent allowing considerably more than 700 people on the Mariner is a concern to some of us. Thankfully, CC allows all of us to voice our thoughts and opinions. Unfortunately, some people feel it necessary to misconstrue and argue with almost everything I say.

Hopefully, the people still reading this thread will add to some hints and suggestions about cruising on the different Regent ships.

What changes did Regent make in the dress code......guess that slipped by me??

thanks,jj

What changes did Regent make in the dress code......guess that slipped by me??

thanks,jj

For 2010, Regent eliminated Informal nights. There will only be Formal and Elegant Casual nights. Elegant Casual is basically the same definition as Country Club Casual except that, apparently, golf shirts are now allowed.

Dave

Back to the ships for a moment. Did anyone read the review of the Voyager? While it was a good review, it hit on three points that I have repeated over and over.

1. Inconsistant food in Compass Rose

2. Inconsistant food in La Veranda

3. Desserts look good but don't taste good

The Voyager is such a wonderful ship. I almost understand inconsistant food -- we notice the same thing at some very good restaurants. What is puzzling is Regent's desserts. My DH is used to the wonderful pastries in Europe. I'm used to yummy chocolate desserts -- cake, etc. I'd love to know what type of pastry Regent's chefs prepare. Is this a specific style? On our most recent cruise, the Chocolate Cruise, there were the most wonderful looking cakes and pastries that totally lacked the "something" that makes it tastes as good as it looks. The best thing we had was chocolate marshmello's (dipped in the chocolate fountain).

On our last Regent cruise we were seated the first night with some of the entertainment stars. They all ordered from the Compass menu standard items - steak & salmon. They said that these choices are consistently good.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you so much for this thread!

My wife and are are planning our cruise of a lifetime for our 20th anniversary -- a full world cruise in 2011. We're looking at our options with all of the luxury lines, and we genuinely appreciate ALL information -- both positive and negative. Simply put, we've worked extremely hard to be in the position to take such a voyage, and I want the best experience I can find. I tend to dismiss both overly negative AND overly positive reviews -- so a balanced, honest report is what I seek and what I value most.

Regent ... Crystal ... Seabourn ... all great lines -- but which one is doing the best job of maintaining high standards in spite of tough economic times? Which one will actually deliver the experience it promises?

My wife and are are planning our cruise of a lifetime for our 20th anniversary -- a full world cruise in 2011. We're looking at our options with all of the luxury lines, and we genuinely appreciate ALL information -- both positive and negative. Simply put, we've worked extremely hard to be in the position to take such a voyage, and I want the best experience I can find. I tend to dismiss both overly negative AND overly positive reviews -- so a balanced, honest report is what I seek and what I value most.

Regent ... Crystal ... Seabourn ... all great lines -- but which one is doing the best job of maintaining high standards in spite of tough economic times? Which one will actually deliver the experience it promises?

I agree that you will have an awesome anniversary!:)

It is a bit difficult to compare these three luxury cruise lines (there is also Silversea). They are so different.

Crystal comes out on top in most surveys by a couple of points. A couple of years ago, Regent beat it out by 1/10 of a point. Basically, all four lines have their pluses and minuses.

Crystal is the largest of the luxury cruise lines (900+ passengers) and the only one that is not all-inclusive -- has tipping and set seating in the main dining room. Their "regular" suites are on the small side. On the positive side, Crystal's current promotion (through 2010 I think) gives you enough on board credit to pay for drinks and tips (although you still have to sign for them). Crystal would come through with what they advertise. They also have extremely good entertainment and are one of the more formal of the cruise lines.

Seabourn is the smallest in terms of ship size. Three of their ships are older and do not have balconies. Their largest and newest ship, Seabourn Odyssey, holds 450 passengers and does have balconies. Seabourn's strong point is service. They reportedly have extremely good food as well. The smaller ships have far less to do during the day than Crystal or Regent.

Silversea -- you did not ask about it -- just thought I'd add it in. Their ships are medium size (smaller than Regent -- larger than Seabourn). They are running some great specials -- 60% off some cruises with included airfare. Although, like Regent, they can be "off" on a meal or two, they are very highly rated.

Regent -- if you have reading the boards lately, Regent has been bashed fairly badly by their loyal customers. This is mainly for the overbooking of the Seven Seas Mariner which sails in Alaska. They have also had up to 150 children per week on board. What you may have read is not typical of Regent. However, I would strongly suggest avoiding any times that school is out (holidays, summer, etc.)

Regent has two all-suite, all-balcony ships which hold 700 passengers (both built since 2002). One ship (built in 1999) holds 490 and has 80% balconies. Their "regular" suites are the largest of any of the cruise lines mentioned here. The current promotion, which extends through 2010, includes airfare and most excursions as well as drinks, tips, etc. There has been some inconsistancy in a couple of dining venues (specifically Compass Rose & La Veranda).

Which cruise lines are doing the best job of maintaining high standards? That is difficult. Regent spent approximately $20 million dollars each on two of their ships within the past 12 months and has the third ship going into drydock for almost a month in January, 2010.

Silversea & Seabourn have new ships this year and one coming out next year. I just read that one of Crystal two ships is being completely refurbished.

It is impossible to predict what will happen between now and 2011. If the economy continues to improve, the "specials" on the cruise lines could disappear.

The best thing you can do is read the reviews over the next few months When the 2011 schedules come out, you can compare pricing. All four cruise lines provide a luxury experience, but, are very different. The boards for each cruise line will tell you that their line is the best. You need decide what is important to you.

That is an excellent summary/comparison TC!

I would add one small caveat to your description of Crystal. I did some cabin comparing when we were on Mariner last month and while the "standard" suite on Mariner is a bit larger than the "standard" cabin on Serenity (which does the WC), it is such a small difference that, all other things being equal, I wouldn't call it a "deal maker" or a "deal breaker". Never having been on Voyager or Navigator, I don't know if that would still be the case. Regardless, any of the four lines will, I am sure, provide a memorable 20th anniversary experience!:D

When the Voyager was in dry dock for the pod repair did they do any refurbishment of the interiors?

The Voyager's interior was completely refurbished less than six months prior to the pod repair.

Roland4: I tend to forget about the Mariner's small suites. With balcony, the Mariner suites are 301 sq. ft. The Voyager and Navigator's suites are 356 sq. ft. Those were the suites I was referring to. Thanks for catching that:)

I agree that you will have an awesome anniversary!:)

It is a bit difficult to compare these three luxury cruise lines (there is also Silversea). They are so different.

Crystal comes out on top in most surveys by a couple of points. A couple of years ago, Regent beat it out by 1/10 of a point. Basically, all four lines have their pluses and minuses.

Crystal is the largest of the luxury cruise lines (900+ passengers) and the only one that is not all-inclusive -- has tipping and set seating in the main dining room. Their "regular" suites are on the small side. On the positive side, Crystal's current promotion (through 2010 I think) gives you enough on board credit to pay for drinks and tips (although you still have to sign for them). Crystal would come through with what they advertise. They also have extremely good entertainment and are one of the more formal of the cruise lines.

Seabourn is the smallest in terms of ship size. Three of their ships are older and do not have balconies. Their largest and newest ship, Seabourn Odyssey, holds 450 passengers and does have balconies. Seabourn's strong point is service. They reportedly have extremely good food as well. The smaller ships have far less to do during the day than Crystal or Regent.

Silversea -- you did not ask about it -- just thought I'd add it in. Their ships are medium size (smaller than Regent -- larger than Seabourn). They are running some great specials -- 60% off some cruises with included airfare. Although, like Regent, they can be "off" on a meal or two, they are very highly rated.

Regent -- if you have reading the boards lately, Regent has been bashed fairly badly by their loyal customers. This is mainly for the overbooking of the Seven Seas Mariner which sails in Alaska. They have also had up to 150 children per week on board. What you may have read is not typical of Regent. However, I would strongly suggest avoiding any times that school is out (holidays, summer, etc.)

Regent has two all-suite, all-balcony ships which hold 700 passengers (both built since 2002). One ship (built in 1999) holds 490 and has 80% balconies. Their "regular" suites are the largest of any of the cruise lines mentioned here. The current promotion, which extends through 2010, includes airfare and most excursions as well as drinks, tips, etc. There has been some inconsistancy in a couple of dining venues (specifically Compass Rose & La Veranda).

Which cruise lines are doing the best job of maintaining high standards? That is difficult. Regent spent approximately $20 million dollars each on two of their ships within the past 12 months and has the third ship going into drydock for almost a month in January, 2010.

Silversea & Seabourn have new ships this year and one coming out next year. I just read that one of Crystal two ships is being completely refurbished.

It is impossible to predict what will happen between now and 2011. If the economy continues to improve, the "specials" on the cruise lines could disappear.

The best thing you can do is read the reviews over the next few months When the 2011 schedules come out, you can compare pricing. All four cruise lines provide a luxury experience, but, are very different. The boards for each cruise line will tell you that their line is the best. You need decide what is important to you.

THANK YOU so much for putting this together -- and I'll definitely add Silversea to the shopping list. We're generally pretty easy to please (see the list of our cruising experience for evidence of THAT) -- but for this special journey, we really just want a quiet, peaceful and luxurious environment for a long, long vacation. For over half of our marriage, my wife and I have been the primary caregivers for her mother, who is now 90 and has suffered from ever-worsening dementia since her late 70's. Her physical health has now deteriorated to the point that she will need far more care that we can provide for her -- or she will simply pass away -- within the next several months. I share this to say that my wife and I NEED to go away on a long journey and learn what it's like to be just the two of us again. While I know a WC is quite a treat, if we've learned nothing else from caring for her mom, we've learned that adventures must be had while we're still young.

Thanks again for the insights --

CalmCruiserNC --

We took Voyager's full 2007 World Cruise. You can find my blog reports and photos at: http://2007voyagerworldcruise.shutterfly.com/

It was a terrific trip. My wife and I are booked on Voyager's 2010 full 119-day World Cruise, embarking in San Diego on Jan 13 and returning to Ft. Lauderdale on May 12. I will be posting during the trip -- not as much text, but lots of photos. I am currently setting up the site, but will announce it here in December for anyone who wants to follow us along on our voyage.

In both instances, we have booked a standard Regent cabin. We have found them plenty big enough even for such a long trip. It is a wonderful experience and I am sure you probably can't go wrong with any of the lines you are looking at. In 2007, Regent delivered a truly amazing experience. That's why we are going again!

CalmCruiserNC --

We took Voyager's full 2007 World Cruise. You can find my blog reports and photos at: http://2007voyagerworldcruise.shutterfly.com/

It was a terrific trip. My wife and I are booked on Voyager's 2010 full 119-day World Cruise, embarking in San Diego on Jan 13 and returning to Ft. Lauderdale on May 12. I will be posting during the trip -- not as much text, but lots of photos. I am currently setting up the site, but will announce it here in December for anyone who wants to follow us along on our voyage.

In both instances, we have booked a standard Regent cabin. We have found them plenty big enough even for such a long trip. It is a wonderful experience and I am sure you probably can't go wrong with any of the lines you are looking at. In 2007, Regent delivered a truly amazing experience. That's why we are going again!

I am booked for the first segment of the world cruise - January 14, San Diego to Sydney - and then I board the Voyager again when she leaves Ft. Lauderdale on May 12 for the east coast/British Isles cruise. This will be my first cruise on the Voyager but I had no hesitation about booking due to my fantastic cruises on the Navigator and the Mariner. My last cruise on the Mariner was two segments of the 2008 world cruise in October/November.

The chance to board free at lunchtime is a very nice advantage that should be noticed and utilized. True, there MAY be a few moments' line at that first buffet, but the food will be very good, and you will be glad you did not miss it.

Prime 7 debuted on Voyager last year and Mariner this year. This is not to be missed even by vegetarians, but go quite hungry.

Use online advance restaurant and tour reservations when you can but be flexible. If you know you won't make a dinner reservation one night due to change of plans, please cancel so others can enjoy.

THANK YOU so much for putting this together -- and I'll definitely add Silversea to the shopping list. We're generally pretty easy to please (see the list of our cruising experience for evidence of THAT) -- but for this special journey, we really just want a quiet, peaceful and luxurious environment for a long, long vacation. For over half of our marriage, my wife and I have been the primary caregivers for her mother, who is now 90 and has suffered from ever-worsening dementia since her late 70's. Her physical health has now deteriorated to the point that she will need far more care that we can provide for her -- or she will simply pass away -- within the next several months. I share this to say that my wife and I NEED to go away on a long journey and learn what it's like to be just the two of us again. While I know a WC is quite a treat, if we've learned nothing else from caring for her mom, we've learned that adventures must be had while we're still young.

Thanks again for the insights --

Whatever your decision.... you deserve a fantastic cruise, for your sacrifices!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My mother was ill for quite a long time & my husband chose to support her for 3 years in her own home, rather than "put her away"..Since she has passed on, we have been traveling quite a bit, and I always remeber the sacrifices made, which makes the cruises that much more sweet, and pleasurable. Bless you

My last cruise on the Mariner was two segments of the 2008 world cruise in October/November.

Threechicks, slight correction...the Mariner didn't do the World Cruise in 2008 and it doesn't start until January. I think you may be referring to the Asian Pacific Rim cruise which is on the Mariner.

Calmcruiser, your world cruise will be special. Although I haven't done the world cruise in it's entirety I have gone on 2-3 segments several times and it is first class all the way. Also, Voyager cabins are a bit larger than the Mariner cabins that someone mentioned. A Voyager standard cabin will be more than enough space for the 4 months voyage.

Threechicks, slight correction...the Mariner didn't do the World Cruise in 2008 and it doesn't start until January. I think you may be referring to the Asian Pacific Rim cruise which is on the Mariner.

Calmcruiser, your world cruise will be special. Although I haven't done the world cruise in it's entirety I have gone on 2-3 segments several times and it is first class all the way. Also, Voyager cabins are a bit larger than the Mariner cabins that someone mentioned. A Voyager standard cabin will be more than enough space for the 4 months voyage.

I stand corrected but it was the same length.

Whatever your decision.... you deserve a fantastic cruise, for your sacrifices!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My mother was ill for quite a long time & my husband chose to support her for 3 years in her own home, rather than "put her away"..Since she has passed on, we have been traveling quite a bit, and I always remeber the sacrifices made, which makes the cruises that much more sweet, and pleasurable. Bless you

Thank you for your kind words. My wife and I never imagined that her mom would live as long as she has, so we really didn't know what were we getting ourselves into. But we went into the responsibility with the attitude that we would never regret caring for her mom -- we would only regret it if we didn't. Ironically, one of the things that brought my wife and myself together was that we were both childless-by-choice, so we could travel and enjoy life without the responsibilities that the majority of married couples take on when they become parents. Raising a child seems like it would have been easier in at least one way -- kids become increasing independent as the years pass and ultimately bring much joy. Eldercare by contrast, is exhausting, depressing and hopeless.

WOW reading what I just wrote, it's obvious I need a cruise -- even if it is on Carnival!

Karen and Larry:

I'm so glad you'll be back!

Peggy

I assume from that reply that you will, too? Great! After our unplanned stay here in Chicago during a very long 2009 winter, it will be great to spend most of the next below the equator.

My wife and I are booked on Voyager's 2010 full 119-day World Cruise, embarking in San Diego on Jan 13 and returning to Ft. Lauderdale on May 12.

Great news. So pleased your are cruising again and your ongoing reports are something to look forward to. We will be with you both in spirit.

Tell Capt Dag to stay clear of those fishing nets!

CalmCruiserNC --

I SO enjoyed your last cruise! I was along (vicariously) for the entire journey - I'm thrilled to be traveling along again:D - someday it will be "for real" on a World Cruise!

I've enjoyed previewing the menu on TV aboard the Voyager. Couldn't find it on the Mariner this May - searched all the usual channels. Are they still doing this?

Yes they are still doing this, at least when I was on in May.

I was on Mariner from 7 May 'til 21 May, and this feature was up and running. Though at the first part of of the cruise, it wasn't updating properly (generally you were seeing the previous night's menu), within a few days it was properly up-to-date.

Archived