Getting from Sorrento to Herculaneum?

Parapara

We took the train from Sorrento to Herculaneum last October and it's quite easy to do.

From the marina, you need to get up the cliff at Sorrento to the town (we walked it, but you can take a local bus, a taxi or your ship may provide a shuttle to Piazza Tasso.) http://www.lonelyplanet.com/maps/europe/italy/sorrento/map_of_sorrento.jpg

The Circumvesuviana train runs between Sorrento and Naples, and the stop for Herculaneum is at Ercolano. It runs approximately every half hour.

When you arrive in Ercolano, walk out of the station, turn right and then the first left down the main street until you reach the end (about a 10 minute walk) ... which is where Herculaneum is.

In addition to the website given in the post above, Rick Steves Italy guidebook has good info on this, including a list of the train stops along the way. There are a lot of stops along this route, so if you have an idea of where your stop is amongst them, it will help with knowing when your stop is next.

Parapara,

I had a look at my Rick Steves guidebook info from our cruise, and the stop for Herculaneum is #25 on the list of stops, after leaving Sorrento (Pompei Scavi is #14).

In Ercolano, the first stop is Ercolano Miglio d'Oro ... for Herculaneum, it's the next one, Ercolano Scavi.

The train may have a display of upcoming stops on a screen in each car.

Parapara,

I had a look at my Rick Steves guidebook info from our cruise, and the stop for Herculaneum is #25 on the list of stops, after leaving Sorrento (Pompei Scavi is #14).

In Ercolano, the first stop is Ercolano Miglio d'Oro ... for Herculaneum, it's the next one, Ercolano Scavi.

The train may have a display of upcoming stops on a screen in each car.

Even if there is no screen in your car, there will be a map indicating the stops in order (just like on city metros) that you can check periodically.

Archived