Why would people go to Wal-Mart in Puerto Vallarta

Schplinky

An earlier post indicated that a membership was not needed for Sam's Club in PV. Can someone confirm that? We don't have Sam's Club in Canada so I'm not familiar with it.

If you can prove you are non-resident (show your passport) you will get a free daypass at Sams.

We're getting ready to go on Sapphire Princess and in reading a lot of reviews, we've seen quite a number of people mention they took time to make it to Wal-Mart in PV. Why exactly would someone do this? They have that practically everywhere but folks seem to include this in their reviews. I know that in St. Thomas, one of the best places for liquor, folks claimed, was K-Mart. Does Wal-Mart in PV sell stuff it doesn't here?

Items to look for: Yup tequila cheap to medium priced, hand blown glassware; you know the clear and blue rimmed types real cheap but sell out fast, vanilla and souvenirs.

Items to look for: Yup tequila cheap to medium priced, hand blown glassware; you know the clear and blue rimmed types real cheap but sell out fast, vanilla and souvenirs.

We will ALWAYS stop in ther.

• 5 months later...

We may be in PV in early April and I will find it very interesting to check out the Walmart there. My husband works part-time at Walmart and when we were in Hawaii, my friend and I found many treasures we didn't see anywhere else. It will be fun to see them. Actually, saw a Walmart in Xian, China a couple of years ago. Love to check out the food items and cooking utensils. Life is what you make it!:)

• 1 month later...
Non refrigeration of eggs seems to be quite common in Mexico. At first I was turned off by it but after I ate a few egg meals there I was ok.

Just as an aside, eggs are not refridgerated in Australian supermarkets either :)

I find this thread very entertaining! :p I happen to work at Wal-Mart in Canada, and I can honestly say, that this is one of the best companies I have ever worked for. They really do look after their employees, ie: incentives, BBQ's, shareholders cheques $$$, etc....!!! I work part time, so am not entitled to benefits, but never in a million years, did I think when I started, that I would be celebrating my 3rd anniversary of employment there!! The staff that I work with are an absolute joy to be with! So....now you have all heard it from a reliable source! :eek:

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We walked down to look for a birthday card for an onboard friend... all the card messages were in Spanish but English was written on the back so after much looking (it always takes me forever to settle on a card) I found just the right card but we couldn't find an envelope that would fit! Drat! Drat! Drat! We finally connected with an English speaking employee who searched valiantly in the drawer for the requisite envelope without success... have no idea why so many cards were missing envelopes. Here ends our tale of a walk to Walmart on a very hot day in October!

• 2 weeks later...
This thread has survived since July 25, 2009 ! Amazing !!

I take the bus to downtown and go to Walmart when I return---- thereby I only have to cross the highway once.

This is exactly what we do too...The ride on the bus there and back is an adventure :D

We're getting ready to go on Sapphire Princess and in reading a lot of reviews, we've seen quite a number of people mention they took time to make it to Wal-Mart in PV. Why exactly would someone do this? They have that practically everywhere but folks seem to include this in their reviews. I know that in St. Thomas, one of the best places for liquor, folks claimed, was K-Mart. Does Wal-Mart in PV sell stuff it doesn't here?

For the same reason that people go on tours of Europe and eat at American fast food places such a McD.

DON

Travelers as individuals are usually rather clever and intelligent.

But when you get them into a semi-organized group, on a cruise, they become a panicky herd of dumb cattle.

I sailed in Hawaii for many years.

For many people, a Hawaii cruise is a once in a lifetime experience. They want to get the most out of this unique experience.

Every time my ship called at Hilo, passengers found 2 basic choices on the pier:

1. A $10 bus ride to see, visit, and experience the longest erupting volcano in modern history. People on this excursion could actually walk right up to the flowing lava, and take great photos of the lava exploding as it entered the sea.Truly a once in a lifetime experience.

2. A free shuttle bus to the local WalMart.

I loved to watch the pier from my office as the passengers disembarked the ship. Nearly every one paused for just a few seconds, had to think for a moment, then quickly headed for the WalMart shuttle bus. The WalMart bus was always packed. The $10 Volcano Bus always only half full at best. The mental processes that caused this to happen are beyond my comprehension.

Edited by BruceMuzz

We went to Walmart in PV because my granddaughter's stroller and box of diapers got lost somewhere between being put into the cargo area of the shuttle and the cabin. Between my daughter-in-law and myself we had five diapers in our totes and were able to pick up some from the ships store at a VERY high price. PV Walmart was a welcomed sight.

Getting to Walmart now is easier and there are crosswalks and lights that make it simple.

We find Walmart a great place to pick up cheap P.V. souveniers to bring back to the family. And if you need to pick up anything for your cruise that you forgot and just want some snacks, it's a great stop for that too.

• 1 month later...

Once you have navigated your way across the highway to the Walmart side of the street, you can take advantage of a very nice shopping mall right next to the Walmart.

There is a food court on the second floor of the mall. In December of 2011 the food court was a free wi-fi hot spot. You need to be able to navigate through some rudimentary Spanish. Log onto the "Infinitum movil" network. Select the option labeled "gratis."

I'd like to take the bus downtown...can anyone elaborate on how to do this? Times? Which bus? How much? Can you pay in USD? thanks!

Go to the main street near the stoplight and look for a white bus with a blue streak and Centro on the window. Get on and give the driver a dollar, and he will give you some pesos back in change. The fare is six and a half pesos which is a little over 50 cents US (They don't take US coins).

The ride downtown is about four miles. The bus will turn left at the beginning of the malecon. You can get off at the first stop (about half a block) after he turns or stay on until you cross the River Cuale into the old part of town.

To come back to the ship, go a block or two from the ocean until you see buses going back that direction and catch one the same color with WalMart and Sams Club on the window. Same price and you can get off in front of the clinic before the stoplight or stay on and go to WalMart. You will see the ship before you get to the place you get off.

There will be many buses and sometimes they run almost nose to tail. You won't have to wait long for one to show up.

If the bus going toward town says Tunel on the window, my directions are no good. It will get you into town, but they go around the town and come in from the other direction.

Edited by swedish weave

Going to PV nextweek. WW is on the list. I'm hoping to buy snacks I cant buy here . I'm hoping they have the spicey salalitos (dried spicey plums). I've been having a hardtime finding it in my area. Also want to buy some vanilla.

Tequilla drinkers whats a good tequilla to buy @ WW.Do they have cool souvinor alcohol bottles? How does it work taking it back onto the ship? How many bottles per person and do we have to report it? Do we have to check it in or can we walk right on the ship with it? Thanks

See below -

Going to PV nextweek. WW is on the list. I'm hoping to buy snacks I cant buy here . I'm hoping they have the spicey salalitos (dried spicey plums). I've been having a hardtime finding it in my area. Also want to buy some vanilla. Don't know for sure on the candy but I would expect you will find it at either WW or the grocery store (Soriano's just south of the port) Vanilla can be found everywhere.

Tequilla drinkers whats a good tequilla to buy @ WW. Asking what is a good tequila is the same as asking what is a good brand of coffee. Each brand has a unique taste. A "good" brand is any brand that has "100% Agave" or "100% Blue Agave" on the label. Clear (blanco) is often used in mixed drinks. Reposado is slightly aged and Anejo is aged. Both of these are getting into the "sippin' liquor" area. Cost per bottle of limited edition Anejo's can run over $100 USD.

Do they have cool souvinor alcohol bottles? Don't know. Never shopped for a bottle, only want what's inside!

How does it work taking it back onto the ship? Different for every ship line.

How many bottles per person As much as you can carry.

and do we have to report it? Whatever you bring back through US Customs has to be declared. You are allowed to bring back 1 liter per person duty free. You"may" be charged duty on the extra amount you bring back. We have never been charged duty.

Do we have to check it in or can we walk right on the ship with it? You can walk right on the ship with it. However, security may ask if you have liquor. They may take it from you and "hold it" for you until the last night when they will give it back. Your experience may differ but we have never had a problem with one or two bottles. Haul on a case and it will likely be a different story.

Thanks