Swim Diapers - only ok on Carnival?

chaloop

Others can chime in, but I think that technically only RCI Liberty, Freedom, and Oasis, plus the Disney ships have pools for kids with swim diapers. I know that many see it and do it on Carnival ships, but I think that it's technically against the rules.

You wouldn't really want to be in the water with feces contained in a water-permeable sack, would you? That's what a swim-diaper is..... just because it holds solids in, doesn't mean the water doesn't circulate through it.....ick.

I have been reseraching which ship we want to cruise on and from what I am reading it looks like only Carnival allows chidlren in swim diapers. Is this right?

No, not allowed on Carnival. The last I read these ships allowed swim diapers, and this isn't in the regular pools, it's in the kid zones (whatever each ship calls them):

Royal Caribbean Freedom of the Seas

Royal Caribbean Liberty of the Seas

Royal Caribbean Independence of the Seas

Royal Caribbean Enchantment of the Seas

Disney Magic

Disney Wonder

There could be others, but none are on Carnival.

Edited by 6rugrats

Others can chime in, but I think that technically only RCI Liberty, Freedom, and Oasis, plus the Disney ships have pools for kids with swim diapers. I know that many see it and do it on Carnival ships, but I think that it's technically against the rules.

This is exactly right. :D

Rugrats - you can remove Enchantment of the Seas - they did a switch a roo with the signs and now that baby pool is no longer an "official baby splash zone" :eek:

I walkeed all around the waterworks area on Sensation, particularly looking for the No Diapers notice, and couldn't find it. The 'rules' were several places, in not too big print, but I couldn't find anything about diapers. Conversely, there is a sign at Half Moon Cay that says no diapers...Not that anyone reads it. EM

Just wondering about Carnival's water works area on the redone ships. What are the rules there (for the spraying areas and stuff). Is this the same?

Nope, not even in the "spray parks" according to their own site....

Note: Due to United States Public Health (USPH) Regulations, we do not allow children in diapers or those not toilet-trained in the pools/spray park.

https://www.bookccl.com/irman/bookccl/shipboard_knowledge/Facilities_CQ_GL_VA_LI_FD_SL_DR.htm

Note: Due to United States Public Health (USPH) Regulations, we do not allow children in diapers or those not toilet-trained in the pools/WaterWorks.

https://www.bookccl.com/irman/bookccl/sections/shipboard/Camp%20Carnival.html

(above link click on Facilities)

Edited by crusinmama06

Nope, not even in the "spray parks" according to their own site....

Note: Due to United States Public Health (USPH) Regulations, we do not allow children in diapers or those not toilet-trained in the pools/spray park.

https://www.bookccl.com/irman/bookccl/shipboard_knowledge/Facilities_CQ_GL_VA_LI_FD_SL_DR.htm

Note: Due to United States Public Health (USPH) Regulations, we do not allow children in diapers or those not toilet-trained in the pools/WaterWorks.

https://www.bookccl.com/irman/bookccl/sections/shipboard/Camp%20Carnival.html

(above link click on Facilities)

Thanks. I didn't think they would be, but had never really seen it discussed, so I thought I would ask.

I was just wondering... What if your child is potty trained but still choose to use a swim diaper just in case of that one incident where the unthinkable happens. I have known older children to have accidents... Just curious..

At Gymboree you can buy boys and girls swimsuits that have built in swim diapers. I used those for my kids for years. That would be a good option for kids who either a)need one or b)just in case. Also, it wouldn't be obvious, if you wanted to let them play in the splash area. They're probably on sale if you get one now, or order one online. They hold up really well, too.

I'm still alittle confused about this whole swim diaper thing. Don't all kids probably pee in the pools regardless of swim diapers!? I would love to take our children on the carnival dream with the new waterpark, but are you telling me that because my 18 month old isn't potty trained she can't be in a swim diaper in the spray park?

I'm still alittle confused about this whole swim diaper thing. Don't all kids probably pee in the pools regardless of swim diapers!? I would love to take our children on the carnival dream with the new waterpark, but are you telling me that because my 18 month old isn't potty trained she can't be in a swim diaper in the spray park?

Yes. That is not just a cruise line rule. It's a US Public Health Service regulation. If the cruise line ignored it, they would be barred from calling at US ports.

Yep, what richkinkade said. It's not a cruise line rule. However, the cruise lines can choose to create an area that has an adequate filtration system to take care of this issue....Carnival hasn't yet. So they are barred from allowing infants in the water works.

It's not the pee that's the problem. It's the, um, solid "other" stuff. Swim diapers can often keep in solids, but the bacteria and other pathogens cannot be contained and leach into the water. In large public pools on land, you have two things going for you that you don't have on cruise ships: Very large volume of water to dilute contamination and extreme filtration with high chemical levels. Even with those advantages, there are news stories every year about 100 or 200 or more people who get ill from exposure to pathogens (some of them very serious, especially to young children) while swimming in public pools or water parks. Ship pools are small and do not have the same level of filtration or chemicals as pools on land. That's why the CDC and health dept regulations are so strict for cruise ships.

beachchick

• Like 1

As stated by others, yes, that's what everyone is telling you. You not liking the policy will not change it. You might love to take your child in a diaper in the water, but no one else will love you for it.

• 5 months later...
I walkeed all around the waterworks area on Sensation, particularly looking for the No Diapers notice, and couldn't find it. The 'rules' were several places, in not too big print, but I couldn't find anything about diapers. Conversely, there is a sign at Half Moon Cay that says no diapers...Not that anyone reads it. EM

What is it about Half Moon Cay? I've been to the port twice without kids, but never remember seeing a sign. Do they seriously not allow children with swim diapers at the beach??

oh don't hate me for this post. Its not urine that is a problem. urine is sterile. Its feces and especially in children with recent shots or other things they can cause real problems. Kids immune systems are developing and are better than people with compromised immune systems like some adults who really can get deathly ill in the main pool from kids poo.

I just wish people would obey the rules even if they don't agree with them. Last cruise on the Liberty of the Seas an 18 month old had an accident(#2)and they had to shut the entire splash park down. Last day of the cruise and a sea day with 100's of little one's with nowhere to play because this lady didn't think it was fair that her little one couldn't play in the water too!

It was really a shame because our other sea day was rainy. I talked to a lot of mom's who saved for a year or more to go on a larger ship with splash park. Their only opportunity to use the splash park ended at 10:30am because one lady didn't like the rule.

I swim in my Depends and no one has ever complained!:D

Ah, but you see--that is against the rules too. They don't discriminate based on age. The rule applies to all passengers who are incontinent or have "potty problems."

(Yeah, I know you're no doubt joking; just thought I'd mention the actual regulation.)

beachchick