Questions for New Zealand in Febuary 2010!

Hey!

Well you guys were right, we came off our first cruise, realised we were addicted and have just booked our next cruise (we booked exactly 2 weeks after we disembarked in fact)! Thanks for all the advice we used on our first cruise, and already we have more questions!!

I've read quite a few of the reviews etc. for the P&O "White Cloud Wonders" New Zealand cruises, but am still interested to know weather they still do the island night on these cruises, and what is the port they ussually visit the day of them? Is there anything different between a Pacific Island Cruise and a NZ Cruise?

We loved our Sea days so are VERY excited about having six of them!

Ta,

Scotty

Hey!

Well you guys were right, we came off our first cruise, realised we were addicted and have just booked our next cruise (we booked exactly 2 weeks after we disembarked in fact)! Thanks for all the advice we used on our first cruise, and already we have more questions!!

I've read quite a few of the reviews etc. for the P&O "White Cloud Wonders" New Zealand cruises, but am still interested to know weather they still do the island night on these cruises, and what is the port they ussually visit the day of them? Is there anything different between a Pacific Island Cruise and a NZ Cruise?

We loved our Sea days so are VERY excited about having six of them!

Ta,

Scotty

we are going this scruise as well interesting ? we would like to now as well

Hi Scotty,

I don't think we had an island night. I know we had country & western and rock 'n roll. :)

In my opinion, one of the main differences between an island cruise and a NZ cruise is the average age of the passengers. There aren't many young party animals on the NZ cruises.

Evon.

We had an Island Night in the Bay of Island ...where else???? The port there is Paihia (a tender) It's the warmest part of NZ. It's a deck party and hits off about 9.30pm- late, so you may not see that many on deck. It's good fun.

Main difference is that you see much more of the urban life on the NZ cruise. Scenery in NZ is sooo different compared to the Pacific Islands. It's also chilly in Feb. Also as Evon said, the most noticeable age group are the the 50's+.

Hope you enjoy yourselves.

Cheers,

Anna

Our cruise to NZ was on the Pacific Sun earlier this year and we didn't go to the Bay of Islands. The Pacific Dawn cruise "White Cloud Wonders" on the Pacific Dawn (out of Brisbane) also doesn't go to the Bay of Islands.

On our cruise to the Pacific islands earlier this year on the Pacific Dawn the Island Night was much quieter than we are used to on the Pacific Sun. The present cruise staff on the Pacific Dawn will be transferring to the Pacific Jewel, so even if there is an island night, I think it would be a bit subdued.

Anna's NZ cruise was on the Sun Princess.:)

Evon.

Soooo..............what staff will be on the Pacific Dawn when the present people switch to the Jewel? Do you think the Pacific Sun crew will transfer to the Dawn instead of going to Fremantle or will all new people be employed???? :confused: Guess we'll have to wait and see.......

Life is just one big WAIT :rolleyes:

Hi Scotty,

I don't think we had an island night. I know we had country & western and rock 'n roll. :)

In my opinion, one of the main differences between an island cruise and a NZ cruise is the average age of the passengers. There aren't many young party animals on the NZ cruises.

Evon.

Hey Evon hope you and Peter are fit and well....I just found a photo from our Pacific Sun N.Z cruise and i have a lei on......from the date on the photo it was taken in Port Tauranga.....we left late that night.. remember all the yelling between us on the Sun and the Diamond Princess pax when they were leaving.....:D:D shameful....:D:D anyway i don't think they went ahead with the Island night.......maybe it rained but don't quote me on that ... cheers Shiona and John

ps: Did you still want a CD.....yay finally finished....we were constantly delayed by a sick John and a sick Sound Engineer....lol...i think they kept passing the flu between the two of them reminded me of when the kids were littlies.....lol.......new tracks are on Johns website...

Hey Evon hope you and Peter are fit and well....I just found a photo from our Pacific Sun N.Z cruise and i have a lei on......from the date on the photo it was taken in Port Tauranga.....we left late that night.. remember all the yelling between us on the Sun and the Diamond Princess pax when they were leaving.....:D:D shameful....:D:D anyway i don't think they went ahead with the Island night.......maybe it rained but don't quote me on that ... cheers Shiona and John

ps: Did you still want a CD.....yay finally finished....we were constantly delayed by a sick John and a sick Sound Engineer....lol...i think they kept passing the flu between the two of them reminded me of when the kids were littlies.....lol.......new tracks are on Johns website...

Hi Shiona,

It was really memorable watching the Diamond Princess leave. I've got some great pix. I thought we had an island night, but when I checked through the Pacific Dailys to see what day it was, there was no mention of it.

Thanks for asking if we are well. Mmmm... not too good. Last week we returned from a trip to China and after a visit to the doctor found out we have giardia. Even though we were so careful what we ate and drank, nearly all of our group of 33 ended up with it. We should be well before our Pacific Sun cruise in 11 days' time. :)

I would certainly like a copy of John's CD. Sorry to hear about the illness. What is the address of the website? I can remember vividly his performance on stage. Wow!!

Kind regards to you both.

Evon.

Giardia.....such terrible stomach pains and thats not the half of it...........not nice.....we have brought it home a few times after stays in remote islands in the Sth Pac....get better soon...........the cruise in 11 days is just the tonic...... i think i still have your email address i will msg you his website....we have opted to stay home this year...for various reasons but he will be back treading the boards for the European circuit next year....had an offer for local cruises still mulling that one over..........lol......being semi retired now he is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo picky....lol.......cheers Shiona

is your bigpond email still the one....lol.........

Luckiepuris, it can be rough or smooth as anywhere. Luck of the draw! Though I must admit it is usually rough for the Sydney to Hobart race.

Which reminds me of the time we came back from England. There was a 'clairvoyant' on the ship who spread the news that the ship was going to sink between Auckland and Sydney (Note: the clairvoyant was leaving the ship at Auckland!!!) ;) ;) ;) )

We had already been through a huge storm where they had to throw water over the tablecloths to keep them on the tables and we had to sit up all night holding the carrycot containing our 5 months old baby so he wouldn't be tipped out.

After all that, the Tasman was as smooth as a millpond! :D

will be sure to take sea sickness tablets just in case!! :)

Tip: It's Royal Caribbean, so if you're feeling unwell briefly, you can just go down to Guest services (or the medical centre) and they will give you a couple complimentarily. ;-) (Or the shop onboard also sells regular packs if you need them in bulk.)

I'd just suggest you don't need to buy them just in case, as you can get them later if you need them, and if you don't you've saved the purchase.

Tip: It's Royal Caribbean, so if you're feeling unwell briefly, you can just go down to Guest services (or the medical centre) and they will give you a couple complimentarily. ;-) (Or the shop onboard also sells regular packs if you need them in bulk.)

I'd just suggest you don't need to buy them just in case, as you can get them later if you need them, and if you don't you've saved the purchase.

Thanks for the tip! Seems like I just keep discovering more and more perks of cruising Royal Caribbean!! Any other freebies you know of?

Thanks again for the info! :)

Archived