Janet Edwards Where Is She?????

BenP

Janet is a fill-in person when they have a director go off contract and do not have a new person lined up to take over. She lives out in CA and I think has the best CD gig in Princess since she gets to move around and see lots of cool places without getting parked for nine months on one ship. Don't think she stays with a ship for more than a couple of months...

Since she does not have a regular posting, the only way to find her is to contact the line and see if they will tell you.

I too enjoyed her as the director on my first Princess trip. Her assist was Franky and they worked well together.

Strange how more women are not in that job as either director or even assist director. To the best of my knowledge, she is the only women they have doing this and works only as a temp.

Makes a person wonder.... :-)

Janet was CD on our 11-night Alaska cruise aboard the "original" Island Princess.. of all 12+ this was my favorite Alaska cruise AND my favorite Princess cruise I think (well, tied with Dawn inaugural). She was a big reason this cruise was so great.. on such a small ship too which was a plus!

Janet is currently on vacation - she was most recently CD on Grand Princess before leaving the ship on 4th November.

Hope this helps!

Andrew.

APH.. Any news on the Maitre d' Generoso? He was last on the Coral before going on vacation

To the best of my knowledge, she is the only women they have doing this and works only as a temp.
Janet is currently the only female CD in the Princess Fleet, but certainly not in the entire cruise industry.

When we sailed on P&O's Oceana in February, our CD was Sally Sagoe - she was very good - very energetic, very funny and a very good singer!

Andrew.

Janet's NOT the only female CD in the PRINCESS fleet. Sammi Baker (from Juneau, Alaska) is the other one that I am aware of; she is currently CD on the REGAL PRINCESS (until February or so). As far as Janet is concerned, she usually surfaces around twice a year for about a month each time. Janet is one of the great CDs, and, when she works with Frankie (as a deputy), WATCH OUT! (Two VERY hyper personalities!)

Ah, apologies John!!!

Yes, Frankie certainly has a great personality - we sailed with him on the Golden in 2003, and he made the cruise - he should definately be promoted to CD!

Andrew.

Perhaps it is just my opinion, but I think it is a shame they do not have more women in the CD and asst CD ranks. I think male/female teams help to round out the personality of the staff and improve the diversity of the activities.

While I really enjoyed sailing with Alister Greener and Mike Donovan, I felt the whole CD team was just more fun when Janet/Franky were running the show on the Grand. Many of the Princess CDs, while funny, seem a bit too stiff if you know what I mean...

I 'assume' that in a Billion dollar buis like Princess, they have done studies to see what people prefer in the target passenger group and perhaps men are more appealing to the slightly older Princess crowd vs the Carnival drunken brawl barges which I just booked 10 cabins as a reward to some of my employees. :-) They refused to go on Princess saying it was too uptight and boring... As my wife and I do not drink, Carnival has never been that charming to us but hey... whatever they want ;-) After all of the Princess bashing that has been going on of late, I am looking forward to a personal comparison of the newer high end Carnival ships to the Grand and Island classes.

WKA ... There are actually quite a few women among the ranks of Asst. Cruise Director; perhaps even more women than men! However, I don't know of any women that have progressed as far as Deputy CD. Each CD is different, and those differences sometimes get reflected in their staff's performance. I think that Janet is among the best of the CDs, although others on this board don't necessarily agree; that's human nature! (She's been trying to make it in the field of entertainment; perhaps you've seen some of the TV commercials that she has made, without recognizing her.) There are several well loved CDs that I personally haven't cared for (I won't mention any names); that's human nature, too! Everybody seems to like Frankie, though. But, as I keep reminding people, the primary job of a CD is administrative and managerial, and their entertainment value is really secondary. This is the primary reason why the larger ships have the Deputy CDs assigned, and you almost never see the CD outside of show times ... too much to do for just one person!

Sorry, I got the Asst CD and Deputy CD titles out of context.

The fact is that in confined settings like a ship, women in upper management, such as Dep CD can have a very positive influence on the staff personality.

Not that I am a raving feminist or something. It is just something I have noticed.

Have to wonder why a company that has been around so long, has not got more women in those jobs? As I said, figure it is either culture or market research... Either way, it would do them good to look at the situation and consider a bit more variety in staffing concepts.

Have to wonder why a company that has been around so long, has not got more women in those jobs? As I said, figure it is either culture or market research...

Growing up with the Love Boat TV show - I always thought the CD was supposed to be female as Julie McCoy was on the Love Boat. :)

Janet Edwards - now there's a name from my past. I think she was the CD on my first proper cruise as an adult (preceded only by a three-night Tasman crossing on the Canberra, during which I never really found my bearings) - IIRC she was with us on the Crown Princess in December 1993. It would be great if she were on my next Princess cruise (which will be my first since that one) - that would be aptly fitting.

Talking of blasts from the past, does anyone remember or know anything about Zoe McLaughlin (sp?), who was also on that ship as cruise staff?

It’s good to read appreciative posts for Janet and my friend Frankie. Janet has been called a bit strident in the past, but I’ve always enjoyed sailing with her. I’ve never been on the ship with both her and Frankie at the same time…but I bet it would be a hoot!

My first time on the ROYAL, Janet was the CD (still a full-time CD). This was in Oct/Nov 1994, NY-Acapulco. Frankie was one of her assistants, as was Richie Duplechein (the rajin' cajun). I haven't heard anything about Richie (on these boards) in quite a while. (If you were on a cruise with him, you couldn't miss him ... very tall and slender, shaven head, deep Louisiana accent.) I hope that he's still around; another great guy! Also in that group was social hostess Ruth Gardiner, who went on to become a CD on another line. Ruth was British, very tiny, and had a photographic memory ... she remembered everyone's name for the length of the cruise! Ruth was probably the best social hostess that I can recall!

Archived