Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scout and Jeff

Splendour of Seas Review December 18, 2004 Grand Suite

My husband, two kids and I were on the Splendour of the Seas 6 day pre-Christmas cruise. This was our fourth cruise. Norway, Disney Wonder, Mariner being the others. We had a wonderful time.

Here are some highlights:

PROS

Pre-cruise hotel - Hyatt downtown $43 from Priceline. Great hotel, very comfortable. Used valet service ($11), great after an 11 hour drive.

Arrived at the port at 10:30. Didn't board until after 12. They served juice and cookies to those waiting. Great for the kids.

Went for lunch at Windjammer. Very good. We ate here a lot during the week. We found the selection to be very good and everyone found something they liked.

We loved our Grand Suite. It was on deck 8 just a few steps away from the Windjammer (deck 9), kid's club (deck 10) and pool. We were given a fruit bowl when we arrived and later in the week, petit fours and appetizers. There was a VCR in the room and the room steward said there was a video library as well, but we did not use it. We were given priority embarkation, debarkation and tenders.

Our waiters were very good as well. The head waiter was great! We saw him more than the head waiters on the last 3 cruises combined.

I found the food to be as good or better on the Splendour than on the Mariner. Filet, lamb and lobster were all good, but not memorable.

Our day in Costa Maya was spend in Mahajual. Loved it. Beer, sand, banana boat rides and ceviche and chips (yum).

Did the Lamanai and River cruise in Belize with my 7 year old son. This was the highlight of the cruise. I will write more on the ports board tomorrow.

LOVED the 42nd Street Theatre. Very comfortable seating and a great view from every seat. Enjoyed the comedian. The sing and dance shows were alright. Better than the shows on the Mariner.

CONS

We were ditched at Grand Cayman by Nativeway sports to do the Stingray tour, probably because we were the only family signed up. I was very upset at first but after talking to people who went with the ship's tour, they said it was very windy and choppy and it was difficult to keep your footing. My 5 year old would have had a tough time. So maybe next time.

The ship does have a noticable vibration. Nothing that was bothersome, but we were on deck 8. Some people with cabins on the port side lower decks said it was quite bad.

Summary

Overall, I would say this was the best cruise we have taken. Maybe because the kids are getting older, but I do prefer the intimacy of a smaller ship. That being said, I did miss the Royal Promenade on the Mariner.

We were given first color off the ship on debarkation day. We were off at 8:30 and in our vehicle driving home by 8:45 a.m.

Any questions? Ask away.

Enjoyed your review. Sorry about the StingRay excursion. Did you go to Cozumel, if so, what did you do there? HOw did you get to Mahahaual in Costa Maya..taxi of golf cart..?? Which nights were Formal Nites? Did you see the Juggler show?

Thank you for posting your review! I'm going on the Splendour on Feb 26th and I can't wait!

How much was your taxi to Mahajual? Do you think that is a better choice than an excursion?

I'm looking forward to your reviews on the ports!

Thanks, Becky

We were on a shortened 6 night cruise so we did not go to Cozumel. Our formal nights were the first sea day, Sunday and the day we were in Belize, Wednesday.

We took a taxi (well actually bus) to Mahajual. There is a really good map in your compass the night before that shows you where the taxi stand is in relation to the swimming pool, shops, etc. You buy your taxi ticket from a stand. Just ask if you can't see it, everyone was really helpful. The cost was $3 per person and about 30 of us loaded onto a bus.

On the way back there again is a taxi ticket stand ($2 per person). We left around 2:45 and there was a little lineup for a taxi, but they were coming very quickly and we only waited about 5-10 minutes. Our friends left 15 minutes earlier and had no lineup. There was a "taxi marshall" that was directing all the taxis and passengers, very efficient. i Don't think I would recommend the golf cart. I think it would be a nuisance and not worth the expense.

We really enjoyed the day at the beach as we had things planned at other ports. There were 7 of us, 4 adults and 4 kids. We had 3 or 4 beer and 6 or 7 margaritas, cokes for the kids, shrimp and conch cerviche, 2 shrimp/seafood and 1 chicken fajita, chips and salsa and quesidilla (sp) and our bill was under $100.

We did the banana boat boat ride. Someone was right there on the beach. $10 per person for 30 minute ride. The kids, 5, 7 and 8 loved it.

We didn't see the juggler show, I imagine that was the magician. It was on the first night I believe, maybe second. We missed it because my daughter was complaining about an ear ache. After a few days and a few doses of Motrin, I took her to the Ship Doctor and sure enough she had an ear infection. Waited only 10 minutes to see the Dr. and had perscription in hand after 20 minutes.

HTH

Thanks for review and glad to hear it was very upbeat. Will be on the 2/26 cruise and also booked a GS. Nice to hear about the GS perks and excellent service. The Windjammer was always one of my favorite Lido's compared to other ships aft verions. Liked the breakfast cart with the sweets, juices, coffee refills & the like. Did they stil provide that on the Splendour. Like to see where I'm going, not where I've been.icon7.gif Glad it meet your needs.....

Also, do they have an ice cream sundae station in the Windjammer?? How were the lunch desserts?? Thanks....

Happy cruising.....

JDee,

Not sure what you mean by breakfast cart...they did have the sweet pastries and rolls on the buffet just as you walk in. They have the icetea, lemonade and orange juice near the coffee, tea station.

There was someone pushing a beverage cart around and you could be served from it. We just picked ours up on the way to a table.

I don't think they have a sundae station, just an "ice cream" dispenser and cones in the Windjammer. They also had a beverage station and ice cream cone machine by the pool. LOVED that! They also served hotdogs and hamburgers and fries by the pool as well. This was right beside the pool bar.

The lunch desserts were plentiful, about 6 different kinds. A lot of mousses and those "jellified" type desserts. Usually a different kind of cheesecake, pudding every day. One day they had chocolate pecan pie. Awesome!! Almost as good as the flourless chocolate cake in the dining room.

You will have a great time. I am not sure if the other "YUCK" poster from a few weeks ago and I were on the same ship. We encountered nothing of the sort.

Also, the solarium looked wonderful!! We didn't have a chance to use it since we were with our kids. Maybe next time.

Scott & Jeff: Thanks...appreciate your speedy reply....

Happy cruising.....

Hey thanks for the review....looking forward to the same trip 1/8. Sounds like quite a deal at the Hyatt ore cruise...how many stars did you put in for?? Just curious....have heard quite a bot about Priceline but never used it.

Hi there!

Great to hear from you again. I'm so glad you all had a wonderful cruise! Excellent and helpful review too.

Happy Cruising,

Trish

Scout & Jeff - we are sailing the Splendour 1/15. I have a question for you - you said you didn't get the use the solarium because you had the kids with you - are kids not allowed? We have a 9 & 12 y.o. Thanks.

JHealy,

Yes, it is quite a deal with the Hyatt. I use Priceline all the time. This is probably my 10th hotel booked over the last few years. It is a 3 star hotel, so choose that when you bid.

Try $43, but some people have had to raise their bid to $45 or $46. If you need help raising your bid, I will show you have to get a free re-bid.

Check out www.biddingfortravel.com for lots of good information on Priceline.

Hi Trish,

Good to hear from you! How are the girls? I was thinking about your family when I was on the Splendour and about how excited you were when you booked your Med cruise. What month is that again?

Jody,

Kids are not allowed in the Solarium, but I did see 4 or 5 at any given time. (They were around 10 or 12 years old.) They were sitting quietly eating with their family; the place was only 10% full at any given time. (I had to walk through the Solarium to get to the gym.)

They had a little bar and buffet set up. I think this is the only place to get pizza.

Hi,

Our wonderful med cruise was chartered and we were bumped off! So, we decided to do a transatlantic for our anniversary. The girls are growing even taller! Thanks for asking. We are planning that med cruise again for summer 2006 and taking the girls with us. They study Spanish and Latin, so we thought instead of the school-sponsored trip we will take them ourselves. We're thinking about double booking to try to protect ourselves from getting booted again!

Just wait until yours are teenagers.....they'll really love cruising. You, however, won't get any sleep. So, enjoy it now!

Hey, can I ask a favor? Erica has been quite upset with me since the Mariner cruise because I didn't buy the cruise video. I know you were in it so, by chance did you buy it? I would love to buy a copy from you if you did and could make one. Apparently, she and her "friend" she met on the cruise are in it. I didn't know that. My email address is HolidayArts@aol.com. Let me know if it's possible.

Again, great review. Splendour is one of the ships we are looking at for the med 7 day cruise. So, it was very helpful.

Thanks,

Trish

Trish,

I was in the cruise review video? I had no idea! Sorry, I did not buy it, so can't help you out there. Happy to hear the family is doing well. I know Erika, aka Candleonwater still posts here, she may have bought the video. She is on the Easter break Mariner cruise again this year. If you do a search on the Mariner and Disney cruise comparison, you may be able to find her last post. Good Luck.

Scout and Jeff...thanks for the info on Priceline....as well as the other link.....we will definitely be trying this route for hotel bookings. We already got something else in Tampa, but may reconsider if there is no penalty for cancelling. Thanks again!!

Peg

Hey,

You were definitely in the video! Do you remember them taping you with the cruise director? It was something with him....I can't remember exactly. But, if I get it ever.....I'll make a copy for you.

Trish