Anyone Alternate Day Diet (JUDDDD or Johnson UpDayDownDay Diet)?

mistydisa

Hi Ladies!

Tammy- sometimes when you are sick the body is reluctant to let go of weight. You have been pretty sick too. What do you do at your Job?

TGIF- I 2nd that. Will have company all weekend. My DH's youngest brother is up visiting from Virginia beach with his 5 year old daughter. His b-day is tomorrow so we will have the family here for a get together. Seems our house is the 'get together' place :)

Not much new going on. Hanging in there. This diet is easy to follow. I think the hair thing in the shower was just the stress of fasting on DD.

Have a good Friday and be good to you!

Nora

gotta share this - too funny.

last night i went to bed feeling badly as i thought i'd overeaten on a dd. thought, oh well, i guess thats it for me - just added it up and it came to 596 cals. yep, a whole 96 cals over had me in a tailspin. lol.

have a great day all -

tammy- this too shall pass, i promise. adolescence can be a horrible stressful time for both parent and child, hang in there.

Elizabeth ~ That is funny! All that fretting over 96 calories, lol! :D

Tammy ~ 1 lb. on a week where you were sick is definitely nothing to sneeze at, and like Nora said, you're body is just holding on to it right now. I bet next week, you'll see big changes! And woo-hoo on the loose pants thing!

Nora ~ So you're enjoying the new diet?

UD here, so the hubby and I had some pizza. As Nora did a while ago, I limited myself to 2 slices, so I feel good about that. HOWEVER, Papa John's has a special where you get a Cinnapie for free with your pizza. Don't waste your calories on this one, ladies. NOT worth it! (I'm not sure if y'all even have Papa John's where you live, but just in case...) Anyway, my babygirl hasn't slept well in about 2 weeks now, so that means Mommy isn't sleeping well, either. So when my alarm goes off to get up and work out, I'm ignoring it. I have only worked out twice this week, so I'm afraid what the scale will do to me.... I'll see either on Sunday or Tuesday.... I'd like to hold off until Tuesday to give me an extra DD to try to redeem myself, but sometimes I just can't wait. Oh, I finished yesterday's DD with only 365 calories! I've never consumed less than the allotted 500, so I'm proud of that! :) Hope everyone has a great weekend!

thanks for the extra calories misty - i enjoyed them before the guilt; but now i know i am just consuming your leftover cals i'll feel okay about the next time :D

wow can't imagine going UNDER 500 cals...maybe a brief coma would do it though....

Elizabeth, you're so funny! I've found the earlier I eat on DDs, the hungrier I am the rest of the day, so I've started making myself wait until after noon or 1 to eat my first meal. I was STARVING yesterday morning and could barely wait to eat, but for some reason, around noon, the hunger just vanished! Seriously! So I just went with it. I'm not sure it'll happen again, but I'm gonna try!

I'm exactly the same as Misty about eating later. The earlier I start eating, the harder my DD's are.

Elizabeth... Whoohoo! Nothing like finding out you did good!

Nora, I still haven't looked up your new plan, but I'm so glad you're liking it. You've got to like a plan to stick with it.

I know you're all right about me not losing so much because I'm sick. I just can't believe I've been this sick for this long. I couldn't even make it through the workday today, had to come home early again. I have a big meeting in Illinois Monday, I just hope I get better by then.

My job.... I have what most people would call a boring desk job, but I really love it. I work in insurance and handle auto liability claims. The easy way to explain it is when people crash, it's my job to decide who's at fault. It's a great job in almost every way, but it's definitely sedentary. Staring at the computer all day doesn't help my migraines, either.... And I think I already mentioned that *#-_+" food table right next to me! UGH!

Thanks for the encouragement with my daughter. We are definitely going through some tough times.

Do you gals do a strict alternate-day rotation? I usually go for drinks and a burger with my friends after work on Wednesday, so I'm finding myself having to switch again this weekend. I think now that I'm not doing carbs, it'll be easier to do a medium day. Boy did I blow that last weekend!

Nora, have fun with your family there and the party. How fun! I think it's great to be the "get-together" place.

I'm gonna go look up Nora's new plan. Have a great evening everyone!

Hi Gals!

Tammy what a coincidence.I work from home for a company that contracts with auto insurance to do the medical side of these accidents. The company we have the most work with insures mostly military people. I decide if medical treatment is appropriate for the injury. Today with the bad economy many people do not have health insurance and try to treat for non accident medical problems.

Here is something everyone will get a kick out of-

This guy had too much to drink and got run over by a car. Turns out he told his wife she was fat and she hit him :D. He did not get seriously injured but the Emergency Room doctor told him he deserved what he got LOL.

Have a great day!

Nora

:D oh nora, hysterical! boy, talk about getting his just desserts...

yeah, when tammy mentioned what she did i thought "wow, there's a coincidence", it seems the 4 of us are connected one way and another. I sometimes pick up little hints that there are even more profound threads here - oh, there i go, having a metaphysical moment again, LOL. The internet is a fascinating tool; to think that such a geographically diverse little group could come together for weight loss support and find so much more. I was amazed when Misty spoke of having been a vegetarian motivated by compassion for animals, and your own refusal to eat veal for the same reasons. most of the people i know who have an interest in this lifestyle are doing it for their health. nothing wrong with that at all. i just have a special place in heart for those who care about the helpless ones.

well i am busy cleaning today; honestly don't know how i managed to work this week at all. astounding to think mum passed on tues and i was in the office on wed...just as well i wasn't home alone, but it strikes me as quite bizarre now. I guess it was my mum's example inspiring me: just keep putting one foot in front of the other, keep going and paste a smile on your face while you do it to get you through. my work mates sent me a lovely bouquet yesterday and that touched me more than i expected.

I've decided i am a wee bit worried about eating too much on uds so will count ww points on uds (more generous than ww schedule would allow to maintain a true ud). cecil in the kitchen making veggie chicken burgers and i am so ready to eat! hope you are all having a great day, take care, elizabeth

Wow, I totally agree... How amazing that we all found each other and have so much in common. I believe there are a lot of reasons people cross paths and it's not always just the reasons we think!

What you said about pushing through, Elizabeth, reminded me of one of my favorite song lines. Y'all probably know it, it says something like "if you're going through hell just keep on walking, you might get through before the devil even knows you're there.". I love that and remind myself of it often,

Nora, I looked up the 4 day diet and couldn't find much about what you actually do for the four days. But when you said that Dr's name, I thought it sounded familiar. My company (State Farm) is a huge sponsor of his 50 million pound challenge. We get tons of stuff about that at work. From what I have heard, he really focuses on health and not just fad diets. I might grab a couple of his books.

I think that's a great idea to count WW points on UD's. Just keeping track seems to help most people make better choices.

I hope it's just because of this pneumonia, but I'm actually having a major appetite problem on my UD's.... I don't have one! I just forced myself to eat some chicken and cabbage for dinner, but man it didn't want to go down. Can't wait to get rid of this!!! I've been pretty good about getting lots of rest.

I hope everyone's weekend is going great. I think I'm gonna curl up and watch a movie.

Nora, love the wife hitting the husband story! I made sure to tell my husband just in case he ever felt like commenting on my weight, lol.

Elizabeth, good luck on the counting points on UDs. I agree with Tammy that it makes making smart choices easier. I write what I eat in a food diary, and I've found myself passing up some foods simply because I'm too ashamed to write them down!

Tammy, hope you get your appetite back soon!

I agree with you three that we seem to have lots in common! That's awesome!

Well, I couldn't wait. I went ahead and weighed this morning...2 more lbs. down! That's 12.6 total, 8 of it while JUDDDDing! AND this week, I've had Manicotti, salad, and breadsticks at the Olive Garden, pepperoni pizza, and chocolate chip cookies! I LOVE this diet, lol! :D

:)way to go Misty!!!! I'm so happy for you - and inspired. Its taking me a bit to get back into the swim and your success helps keep me on the path. DD today and weird as Cecil is home and I don't want him to be inhibited about eating just because I'm not. He keeps offering to make me things that are "really low calorie" but, as has been said here before, the earlier you eat, the harder the day is - it's just past noon hereand so far, no food and no hunger (don't want to wake the beast).

You know what's really strange Tammy? I was going to use a similar analogy in my previous posting: "when you find yourself riding through hell, ride faster and laugh louder". Also, I have had the impression that you and I may share similar spiritual values. What does your doc say about this loss of appetite and feeling ill for so long - sure seems like a long time. Hope your dd is being cooperative for you through this time especially.

Nora, can you tell us more about what your routine is for the 4 day change?

Off to paper recycling, sally ann drop off (like your Goodwill), and cleaning the car - some bastard keyed it this week!:mad:

have a great day all, elizabeth

YAY MISTY!!!!! Another 2 lbs is awesome! And definitely motivating!

Speaking of motivating, do you gals use any kind of little reward system for yourselves? I don't but I know that helps a lot of people. I think I'll just be happy to get back into some of my cruise clothes.

I haven't been back to the doc since last Tuesday. I'm going to give it a few more days to see if things get more back to normal. Since my appetite has got my days all mixed up, I'm doing a MD today and tomorrow will be an UD. I'll be on the road and in a meeting all day, so hopefully that will go okay.

Love that saying, Elizabeth! I'm gonna use that as my new pick-me-up!

I'm having a very lazy day today and probably won't be online tomorrow. I'll catch up with everyone on Tuesday!

Good Morning Ladies!

Misty- Congrats you Rock :D

About the diet I am doing. Here is a sample of one of the 3 diets.This is the 4 day Metabolism Boost.

Breakfast- 2 eggs any style. 1 piece of turkey bacon or 2 pieces of Canadian bacon. 2 cups of coffee with 1 teaspoon of sugar and milk.

Snack-1 apple and 1 small protein shake with 200 calories or less like Special K protein shake or GNC protein shake.

Lunch- 4oz of turkey on whole grain bread. 1 cup of steamed broccoli or veggie of your choice

Snack- 1 cup raw veggies with 1 tablespoon low fat dressing. Dinner- 4 oz lean sirloin steak or other lean meat. 1/4 cup each lentils and brown rice. 1 cup roasted asparagus.

Dessert- 1 cup of mixed berries.

I am doing this now. I fell off the wagon big time over the weekend with all the company we had. Dang I am a good cook ;)

I also decided to cut out flour and sugar and see how that goes.

I will post one of the other plans tomorrow. As you see this is the low carb high protein diet. Each 4 day diet features something else.

Hope every one has a good Monday!

Nora

Misty- Congrats you Rock :D

I do, don't I? lmao, just kidding! I'm just tickled to death that I'm actually losing weight!!!!

DD almost over, and I've only had 365 calories. I'll have a SF jello after I put the baby to bed, so I'll finish with 375. Yay!

Tammy ~ I had decided that once I reached 10 lbs. I would go get a pedicure as my reward. BUT I changed my mind. Instead, I gave myself a pedi and put that $35 I would've spent in an envelope marked "cruise clothes". :) So yes, I do a rewards system. I plan on talking to my husband about the next reward being that he allows me to go into our bedroom and shut the door and read/nap for a whole weekend afternoon while he watches the baby! Maybe that'll be after another 10 lbs.?

Elizabeth ~ I know what you mean about DDs being harder when the DH is home. Jason has been very understanding. I make sure he gives me a list of things he wants me to buy him at the grocery store for my DDs. I can't bear to cook a regular meal on DDs...so he usually "fends for himself" with things like personal pizzas he can pop in the oven, or chicken nuggets and fries, grilled cheese, etc. We all still sit down together at the dinner table, he and Lexi with their chicken nuggets (or whatever) and me with my low cal choice.

Nora ~ That diet actually doesn't sound too bad. Are you finding it easy to stick with? I hope you find much success with it!

You ladies have a fantabulous evening! UD tomorrow! Woo-hoo! :)

Good Morning!

Misty- I am a firm believer in the reward system too! Good thinking on putting away the $ for new cruise clothers. Up here there is amazing sales on summer clothes so I am picking up a few things here and there to take in February. Why not have your next reward be at 5#? That would keep me more motivated.

I feel much better today. Had no flour or sugar of any kind yesterday. I felt so sluggish after the weekend of pasta and birthday cake.

Hope everyone has a good day! :D

Nora

Hi ladies!

I'm back amongst the living today...and feeling a little bit better. It'll be a while before I'm 100%, I think, but better is good. I'll take that for now. :)

Good idea with those rewards! I used to say that I had one "big" reward... if I get back into a size 8 (yeah, right) I want a pair of red leather pants. LOL What would I ever wear those to??? :eek: So I've decided I'm too old for that, I'll look like one of those crazy older ladies trying to look 21 again. So perhaps some type of cruise related reward instead. LOL

I've worked out a system with my daughter for my DD's. When we get groceries, for her stuff, I try to get her to choose options that aren't tempting for me. For example, one huge weakness of mine is cereal, so now when we get cereal, we pick something that she likes that I don't.

Nora~ That sluggish feeling after a big carb weekend wears off, but it's normal to feel a little sluggish for a few days after giving up sugar and flour. Once that wears off, you'll usually have a lot more energy.

I'm still struglling with my UD's a little. Listen to this.... I was all excited about yesterday being an UD... and even got some of my appetite back. I had that meeting, 3 1/2 hours away, so I anticipated some "road food" and maybe even Chinese (no rice) for lunch. I had my cottage cheese for breakfast. As soon as we got there, they told us we won't have time for a real lunch so they're ordering in for us. Very nice, except it was from Panera Bread. Okay, my intention is no bread at all, but I ordered a sandwich on their low-carb bread. Our lunch came and I was told they didn't have that bread, so they just put it on the regular bread that sandwich normally comes on. UGH! So here I was STARVING on an UD when I should have been able to pig out a little, and all I got for lunch was the meat and cheese from inside the sandwich. Double ugh. I was starving on the way home, but the gal riding with me was in a hurry to get home, so we just stopped at a gas station. I got a bag of peanuts and a beef jerky thing. After a total of 9 hours on the road yesterday, I got home at 8:00 and had a full-blown migraine, so I just took my medicine and went to bed. So much for my UD!!!! :mad:

Today's a DD and I'm going to the store on my lunch break to get some lunchmeat and chicken bullion to keep here at work. Tomorrow's my evening to go out with my friends after work, and I swear I'm fitting in a yummy Chinese lunch even if I have to walk through fire to get there!!!! LOL

Oops, my break's over... back to work for me. I'll fill in the rest later!

wow, I am feeling so good about this plan. I don't know what I weigh because I promised myself I wouldn't weigh in until wed 9th, but things are fitting well and I caught a glimpse of myself in a shop window and thought it was someone else!

Feeling a bit stuffed now after having a regular sized lunch (that's what the day after a dd feels like to me) but know I am not overdoing it so it's okay.

Sorry about your crappy ud Tammy. That would suck! But I'm glad you are feeling better in general. Regarding the rewards system: brilliant to put money towards clothes/cruise. Sadly, my mindset is still fubarred as I think "reward", and "chocolate" features in there somewhere.:o I agree with Nora, Misty, make your reward goal 5lb instead of 10lb - that's such a huge chunk!

Trying on some smaller clothes and feeling good about it. Some are not so far off fitting (though not yet in public) and some are hysterical- tried on a pair of size 6 jeans (how the hell did THEY get into my closet) and couldn't get them past my thighs LOL! I think they are going to be shipped out in the next donation bag. I'd be exhilarated to be a comfortable size 10.

Looking at old family pictures because my son has set up a facebook memorial page for my mum and noticed my own changes over the years. Realized it's not age that makes me look like crap - definitely, it's fat. I looked (and felt!) better as a slim 51yr old than as a fat 35yr old. Very motivating.

Hope you're all having a great day! Elizabeth:)

That's awesome that you're feeling so great, Elizabeth! Nothing like a noticeable difference in the mirror or clothes. I'm not even sure a size 6 would allow me to pick them up! :eek:

I made up for my crappy UD today at lunch. I went to my favorite little Chinese place. It's a little hole-in-the-wall type of place but they know me well, and they make my stuff as low-carb as possible. They take out the rice and stuff I don't like and put it on a bunch of cabbage instead. Usually I bring almost 1/2 of it and eat it later, but today I ate the whole plate! I'm stuffed now, and of course feel super fat from being so full and then because of the sodium. I'll be good tonight and of course tomorrow on my DD. Then I weigh in on Friday.

My recent motivation is that when I started this, I was in my size 16 jeans and right now I'm comfortably wearing my 14s! I wore my 16 dress pants Monday and they were hanging on me so much, I kept stepping on the hem! The really exciting thought for me, though, was this morning I realized I still have a full 9 weeks before my cruise. That makes it all the more reasonable to shoot for a size 12 before my cruise in November! I'll still shoot for a 10 before my February cruise, but I'd be happy as a pig in you-know-what if I were a 12 by this one in November. I'm not telling my friend that I'm going with on that cruise that I'm losing weight, either. He lives in NY, so we never see each other in person and the last time he saw me, I was at my very heaviest, just barely squeezing into my 16s. He is a man, though, so he might not even notice! LOL

Hi Gals!

I typed up this nice long post this morning and then the internet connection went out :(

Looks like everyone is doing well. I too have noticied that my jeans are a bit looser. I will weigh in on friday. I do feel thinner. I am at day 3 of no bread and sugar and I feel great!

I don't think I would ever see a size 6. I am a big boned gal and I am 5ft 7 I think that would be a little much. I agree I would be delighted with a size 10

Have a good night!

Nora

Sorry I didn't check in yesterday, ladies. I was in a depressed mood for really no apparent reason... Just one of those blah days...

But today's an UD, so it's bound to be better! lol Finished up yesterday's DD with 415 calories.

Tammy ~ glad you're feeling better and glad you got your Chinese food! Yum! And yay for the loose fitting pants! :D

Elizabeth ~ Another yay for loose fitting clothes for you, too! :D I'm so glad you are enjoying this WOE!

Nora ~ glad to hear that you're finding success with your plan, as well!

Well, gotta run. Baby calls. Hope you all have a great day!

Good morning, ladies!

Okay, I can definitely see the reasoning behind one of the criticisms of this plan. Yesterday, I had my UD, as you know, with Chinese food. Then I went out with my friend after work like I always do for drinks. I splurged a bit on the carb-thing and had a whiskey sour (which I know has sugar). But I only had one, and usually have *ahem* more than one. :D And instead of the olive burger and fried mushrooms, I just had an order of cheesesticks. In hindsight, I realize that's not too terrible at all, but I drove home feeling like a COW! So I can see why they caution people about some of the psychological traps. I think I'll have to watch myself with not feeling so guilty after UDs.

So we're all feeling some looser clothes... that's awesome! Do any of you feel taller when you've lost a little weight? I was just walking down the hall in my office and felt a little taller. LOL

Nora~ I'm glad you're feeling good without the flour and sugar. I always feel better when I eat that way.

Misty~ Good job on your DD yesterday! I'm on a DD today and just had some bullion. I'm trying to resist starting to eat so the rest of the day will be easier.

Everyone have a great day!!!

Tammy, I totally know that cow-like feeling....Oh yeah. Been there a million times, BUT I'm not sure why this particular WOE would bring about that feeling more often than other diets.... I always ended up feeling very down about myself on other diet plans because I would always "mess up" and eat something "forbidden" after a while. Then I'd get all depressed and feel like I have no self-control and what's my problem blah blah blah, but that's what I've found that's so good on this plan. It's OKAY to eat on UDs. If I want a hamburger, I can have one and still be on plan. I've only had one failed DD, and that was the day after I had to take my daughter to the ER. I've been so super proud of myself for doing so well on DDs, and I think the reason I can is because I know I can eat what I want the next day. Of course, I know it's not healthy to eat junk every other day, but with this plan, I know I CAN if I CHOOSE, and best of all, still be following the plan!!!

I guess, for me, this WOE has been more of an esteem-booster than a confidence-crusher... Just my opinion. And opinions are like buttholes, as my Mama always says. :D :D :D

LOL Misty on opinions! :D

I had a 2 hour conference call today. I have to take a national test to be accredited in medical review. So pray for me in November when I take this blasted exam that I pass it.

Still doing good with the no flour and sugar thing.

Have to run and finish up some work.

Take care!

today was the first time I experienced STARVATION on a dd:eek:. So glad to be busy at work because i might have weakened and hit the box of chocolate chip cookies calling to me from the office kitchen. Probably not, after trying on my size 14 jeans this morning and thinking, "soon I'll be able to wear these in public" ; have been wearing 14 dress pants for some time but jeans? different story. Wearing a shirt today that I bought on the Conquest - black with a shiny gold anchor on it; suitable for work ;)? Nah, don't care. I was so tickled to put it on and find I don't bulge out anywhere.

Tammy:Am I hearing "guilt" talk about eating on uds?? STOP IT! My goodness, one of the beauties about this plan is that as long as you aren't going nuts each ud, it's not going to adversely affect the outcome. You are still consuming way less calories a week. I agree Misty, if I really want something that previously would have brought on the "big fat failure" self talk, I have it now, guilt free on an ud. I am just less likely to stuff myself after an indulgence - like I used to - because there is no nasty "you've screwed up now so you might as well throw in the towel and pigout" script running through my head. At long last, it's okay to eat!!!

Misty, so sorry you've been feeling blue. The wonderful thing is that you managed to have a bit of a depression and not treat it with food! If you can still do a dd and not self medicate at the fridge while depressed that is fantastic!

Nora, I'm so glad that test is months away - lots of time to prepare and I'm sure you'll do well.

hey, when we weigh in and post our numbers, how about posting our previous weights and corresponding dates so we can monitor each other's progress? still want to learn how to get that weight tracker thingy that runs along the bottom of some other posters letters - probably won't though- still haven't figured out texting:rolleyes:

ttfn

Elizabeth, in regards to wanting a ticker....Go to www.tickerfactory.com and create yourself a ticker. Choose the "weight loss" category. You can choose to either have it say your current weight and goal weight with lbs. lost, like this:

weight.png

or just have it display your weight change, like this:

weight.png

Once you get it made, copy the bbCode. Then go to your profile on Cruise Critic, choose update signature, and paste it into there. You'll have to go back to the Ticker Factory website to update (using the website it gives you (it'll say: IMPORTANT: To update your ticker, click on it or bookmark this web address: followed by your specific address.), and your ticker will automatically update on Cruise Critic.

This was as clear as mud, huh?

Archived