Tour By Van

gumballz

We were the first off the ship this last Saturday in Acapulco...unusual weather - rain! Fortunately, Rudy and our guide Marco were at the gate waiting for us. What a relief - they grabbed our luggage, got us out of the rain and into the van. Rudy reviewed our itinerary with us and told us to pay after the tour. How great is that. We were on a short tour schedule, our flight leaving that day so off we went and everything worked picture perfect. We saw everything...the old famous Flamingo Hotel, once owned by our very own John Wayne and Tarzan (Johnny Weissmuller), the crumbling Casa Blanca Hotel with spectacular views, toured the Fort, saw old Acapulco, downtown Acapulco, visited the Chapel of Peace and so on. The van ran great, Marco knew his history and gave us a wonderful experience. I would recommend Rudy to anyone who wants an intimate tour of Acapulco. We loved our day - what a excellent way to end a fabulous cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

We used Rudy/Tour by Van for 2 days in Acapulco January 8th and 9th. He picked us up at the airport as promised. He was easy to find with a sign that had my name on it. He let us know about good restaurants near our hotel and about the currency, how many pesos equal a dollar. He let me know that he may not be our guide the next day, but would have a really good replacement.

The next day, our guide, Jose came 10 minutes early and had a sign with my name on it. He did a great job and took us to all the sites before dropping us off at the ship. The cost $45pp for 6 of us included the admission to the lower levels for the cliff divers. He also had a cooler of drinks in the van. Rudy did call during our tour and asked to speak with me. He wanted to be sure we were having a good time. We really enjoyed the tour and I would definitely book with Rudy again in the future.

We stopped in Acapulco on the Coral Princess on Jan 10th and had pre-arranged with Rudy for a tour of the city. There were eight of us that got together for this tour. Rudy was always very prompt in corresponding with us about the tour. He met us at the terminal and was very nice. He took us on a wonderful tour of his city and would do whatever we wanted. We went to the market place, stopped at several spots for great views, went up to the Chapel of Peace, took us to the Cliff Divers, and went to see the murals of Diego Rivera and stopped at a restaurant on the beach for lunch. He didn't push shopping at all which was nice. None of us really wanted that. He would have taken us even more places but we all wanted to make sure we got back to the ship in plenty of time. The price because we had eight people was $45 pp. I would highly recommend Rudy for a great tour of Acapulco.

We stopped in Acapulco on the Coral Princess on Jan 10th and had pre-arranged with Rudy for a tour of the city. There were eight of us that got together for this tour. Rudy was always very prompt in corresponding with us about the tour. He met us at the terminal and was very nice. He took us on a wonderful tour of his city and would do whatever we wanted. We went to the market place, stopped at several spots for great views, went up to the Chapel of Peace, took us to the Cliff Divers, and went to see the murals of Diego Rivera and stopped at a restaurant on the beach for lunch. He didn't push shopping at all which was nice. None of us really wanted that. He would have taken us even more places but we all wanted to make sure we got back to the ship in plenty of time. The price because we had eight people was $45 pp. I would highly recommend Rudy for a great tour of Acapulco.

Thats nice to know that Rudy held true to his word...since we have booked with him on our cruise in February!!!! Susie

One of the highlights of our Celebrity Panama Canal cruise (Jan. 2010) was the tour of Acapulco with Rudy (www.*********.com). From our email, he knew that we wanted to see certain points of interest. Because he has such a wonderful knowledge of the city and love of his country, he added additional stops for us to enjoy. He met us (group of 5) promptly at the pier and spent 6 hours showing us all aspects of the diverse city...common street market, poor and middle class neighborhoods, and elite homes for the very wealthy. We saw the Diego Rivera Mural and spent time in the beautiful Chapel of Peace, the Flamingo Hotel, and at a viewing spot to see the High Cliff Divers. His background information about each attraction and the personalities involved was fascinating. We stopped for an enjoyable lunch at a restaurant along the beach. His driving skills are fabulous, and his English is very good. Not only did he treat us very kindly during our tour, he emailed us pictures that he had taken of our day together. Rudy is polite, knowledgeable, considerate, and honest. He provided us with a memorable, amazing day in Acapulco!:)

• 2 weeks later...

This was by far the absolute best tour I have ever done on any cruise on any island...and my husband and I are experienced cruisers! A friend of mine told me about her tour with Rudy and suggested it for us to try. I took her advise and have no regrets! I will stay in touch with Rudy and see him again whenever we pull into Acapulco.

I strongly suggest you snap up an opportunity to tour with Rudy. He was waiting on the pier for us when we arrived and we had a splendid day. Because he is so knowledgeable, he was able to customize our tour to miss the major traffic jams that other cruisers complained about. Rudy tooks us to the local places we wanted to see (hubby and I are sociologists) and we had a splendid day. I highly recommend time with Rudy!

Thanks and happy travels,

Lucy

On our recent visit to Acapulco we had booked Rudy's Tour By Van tour via the internet. What a wonderful invention!! British you know.

It proved to be an inspired choice (not too hard though, as there had been so much positive comment on the internet).

Rudy provided us with a van to ourselves, to go where we wanted to, with our own guide (Marco) and a driver (Jorge). They took us on a half-hour drive to Coyuca Lagoon for an interesting boat trip (just Jesus the skipper, the driver, the guide, Ann and I), followed by a visit to a site on the beach where they release turtles. We then saw all the usual sights of Acapulco - the Casablanca Hotel, the Diego Rivera mural, the cliff divers and the Los Flamingos Hotel - we then finished up wandering around the charming Papagayo Park, to complete a memorable day.

We kept meeting with Rudy during our tour while he made sure everything was as we liked it. Our driver and guide were excellent ensuring that this was so.

If you need a tour in Acapulco I recommend RUDY.

John

• 2 weeks later...

In anticipation of our cruise on the Carnival Spirit and after doing a little homework, I decided to arrange a private tour of Acapulco with the help of Rudy at 'Tour by Van' prior to our cruise visit.

Rudy and his staff did an excellent job of communicating and arranging a tour for my sister and me. Our driver Sergio was waiting for us with a large sign, an even larger smile, and a friendly greeting when we reached the dock in Acapulco.

Sergio, as we soon learned, was a most enthusiastic and knowledgeable guide, and during the course of our 6 hour adventure he delighted and entertained us with his sparkling wit and depth of understanding of his beloved Acapulco. After taking the time to inquire, Sergio crafted our tour itinerary to include and incorporate our specific interests with the 'must see' highlights of this great city.

We had the time of our lives, and I highly recommend that if your travel plans take you to Acapulco email Rudy and arrange a tour, you will not be disappointed!

Have a great trip!

Colleen & Katy

Just wanted to add my review of Tour By Van with Rudy that I recently took on February 17th, 2010. (I was on the sailing of the Radiance of the Seas, February 12, 2010 if anyone wants to see my postings regarding the tour contact with Rudy)

Our group consisted of 49 people. Not only did Rudy keep every promise he made to me during our 4 month communication he exceeded each and everyone of them. Rudy and his team were prompt, professional, knowledgeable, and extremly curteous.

Rudy and his team provided 6 Vans for spacious accommodations for our group. He specifically advised me he wanted to be sure there would be no overcrowding. We all sat comfortably with air conditioning in clean well kept Vans.

Rudy, Artura, Jose, Marco, Hector and Miguel took us to all the places that were recommended including the cliff divers that were of NO extra cost. I discussed this with Rudy prior and all of his drivers were notified of this. Our cost was $35 per person without tip, our lunch (not included) was at a beautiful restaurant on the beach called La Cabana. The food was good and at a reasonable price.

Our tour lasted 6 hours and at no time were any of us bored. Acapulco is a very beautiful city and it was especially perfect to have it's history told by one of it's native. Rudy had a caravan in order to keep our group together.

As you can see by my number of posts I am NOT a Troll trying to get business for Tour by Van I am only giving you my true personal experience. For those of you thinking of using Rudy, Tour by Van, I offer you one suggestion, stay in contact with Rudy and ask questions directly to him not only to the members of cruise critic. Only you can make or disappoint your tour, Rudy and his team give 110% as tour guides.

Rudy is reliable, he gives you your money's worth and provides you with exceptional service and information. If you want to see the "REAL" Acapulco, you should book Tour by Van.

I check cruise critic daily and will be watching for anyone wishing to ask me questions although questions should be directed to Rudy personally, he responds in a timely manner.

Smooth sailings to all!!!:):)

We had a one-day tour in Acapulco with Rudy and Tours by Van on our recent Panama Canal cruise with Oceania. Of all the tours I scheduled in advance for that cruise, Rudy's tour was the best. We learned a great deal about Acapulco and Mexico and we visited some interesting and beautiful sites. I would highly recommend his tour company if you want to learn about the area and see the sites.

Monday, 2/1/10, we were in Acapulco. Our tour was with Tours By Van. Rudy met us on the dock and he led one group and we had a guide named Miguel. He took us to a van, A/C, with driver. It was a 14 passenger van for the 4 of us, so it was very nice.

We drove through the Mercado, seeing all of the stores, including, the hanging chickens and beef. Next we drove out to Las Brisas and the giant cross. We went to an overlook to view Puerto Marques bay.

Next we drove up narrow roads to the top of a hill and a lovely house. We walked into the car port and had magnificent views of Acapulco, the bay and our cruise ship. We passed on lunch. We then drove to the Zocalo and walked all about with Miguel giving us details of the buildings, history and other anecdotes. We went into the Cathedral and a service was on that made it even more interesting. As always, the car would let us off, we would walk, and then the car would be waiting at the end of our walk, saving us not walking back through the same area.

Next we went to Quebrada to see the cliff divers. We paid an extra $13.50 for two drinks and seats in a lovely restaurant with a covered patio overlooking the divers. It was magnificent.

Next we went to Casa Blanca Hotel which was confiscated by the police. We climbed to the second floor and had more wonderful views of Acapulco. Next we went to the Diego Rivera murals. Finally, we went to Johnny Weissmuller’s house. We toured around the grounds. We then returned to the ship.

The tour company, owned by Rudolfo Fregoso, was effusive in communications. He kept his word on everything promised and provided even more. He was very reasonable and his associate Miguel was extremely knowledgeable. He was a history teacher.

• 2 weeks later...

We just back from a cruise which included a stopover in Acapulco. Since we had been there a couple of times we really wanted something different than the usual cliff divers and movie stars' homes. With the help of Rudy and his colleague Sergio we were able to put together a great day which included many sights we had never before seen. I would highly recommend him to anyone interested in doing something on their own in Acapulco. :)

Yes and Yes. :)

he sent me a nice long email reply to my initial inquiry to see if they were available for the day I would be there. I'm sure if there was someplace else you wanted to go he would. Seems to be very customizable to what you want to do. Here is what he suggested:

1. - La Quebrada and the Divers, above all and at the very first place, what you can call a must!

2. - Non denominational Chapel of Peace and the Cross of Trouyet, best view to the bay area, surrounded by beautiful residences at the very pricey “Las Brisas” residential area.

3. - The “other” bay Puerto *****, smaller than the Bay of Acapulco but 8 times nicer as well, we only stop for pictures for a few minutes over there!

4. - The Los Flamingos Hotel, Once own by John Wayne and Johnny Weissmuller amongst other movie actors. We see the casa Tarzan where Weissmuller lived the last 20 years of his life.

5. - Hotel Casa Blanca, We only stop there for pictures. Great panoramic view of the Bay area and….. To the Cruise Ship!!!!!

6. - Diego Rivera´s mosaic mural, made by the most important painter of Mexico, married with the controversial painter Frida Kahlo, A short stop to take pictures, that will be all!

7. - El Mercado Municipal, is what I call a truly Eye Opener! So different to what you and your party have seen. But I warn you, it can be sort of Cultural Shocking for very many people! I recommend it very highly any way!

8. - El Zorrito restaurant (only suggested) or any other place you wish to go having lunch!

(the cost of Lunch in Zorrito is approximately $10.00 to $15.00 USD)

9. - El Zócalo & Cathedral, The Downtown area Main Square and Cathedral, oldest part of town and the most typical part of it, we may stop there for 20-30 minutes or not, always up to you!!

That is pretty much to tour we did with Rudy. El Zorrito is a nice restaurant. Enjoy.

Took the Acapulco city tour with Rudy from Tours by van just last week, Spirit 2/23 sailing. I can honestly say it was the best tour on any cruise I have taken.

It was our seventh cruise and we almost always book private. Rudy met us right where he said he would, when he said he would. The van was new, clean and the AC worked well. He took us to a number of places you will not and frankly cannot see from the large buses that the cruise lines use. Acapulco is both a beautiful city and a city of contrasts. We got to see how all of the classes of people lived and never felt uncomfortable. Rudy kept us entertained explaining the history and culture of the area as well giving us a glimpse into what everyday life is like in Acapulco. Rudy will tailor the tour to what you want to see or to fit it into your time frame. Our tour was better than 7 hours and at the end he was ready and willing to keep going. We saw the late show of the cliff divers and then he suggested a couple other sights but we said No Mas! I would recommend him to everyone and will use him again next time we are in Acapulco.

Well there was about six inches on either side of the van so i don't think a bus would fit. If you don't want my opinion don't ask. I talked to people who took the ship tour and where less than satisfied. That's all i'm saying. I guess the rules of the thread that you are not to review or recommend a tour until after you have used him does not count for you since you seem to be slamming his lack of reply even before you have used him. If you look this thread is a few years old now and the over whelming number of posts are very positive.

I have taken a tour with Rudy from TBV and I can confirm that in at least two places (possibly 3, due to limited parking) that we chose to visit, a bus would probably not have fit through the narrow passageway that we took to get there. As the previous poster stated, there was limited space between the van and the edge of the road. One road in particular was very curvy and narrow, so I'm sure a bus wouldn't have made it.

It's not like Rudy to not email someone back quickly, based on experience and other CC posters reviews of his service. If Rudy isn't writing back within a reasonable amount of time, there must be an issue that's beyond his control. Maybe his internet provider is down? Maybe he's had a family emergency? Maybe he's taking a family vacation? It's best to give him the opportunity to explain himself, rather than to accuse. His positive reviews say a lot about him & his services. I'm not defending him.....just stating the obvious. Things can happen to any of us, he's no exception. How many times have you had issues with CC? ;)

Also, just throwing this out there.....someone stated that there are bad comments on another site and people claim to know him? How do you know they know him? How do you know it's not another company trying to harm his reputation so they book with someone else? Again, just saying....don't always believe everything you read. It's pretty well known that people like to exaggerate. Fact is always better than assumption, right? :)

oceanaddict4life, If you don't think you'll be happy with a tour from Rudy, then don't book one with him. There are other options out there that might make you happier. Maybe booking with the cruiseline is a better option for you.

Fourteen of us took a tour with Rudy and another guide (I'm not sure of his name--maybe Sergio?)in 2 vans on March 6. (We were on the Carnival Spirit.) I would agree with all of the positive comments that have been made, and then some. (It's hard to find something else to say that hasn't already been said by others!)

I began communicating with Rudy last fall and he unfailingly answered every e-mail within 24 hours. (And, believe me, there were many!) On our tour, we visited every spot that he had suggested. Even though he originally said our tour would be 6 or 7 hours, we spent 8 hours with him--he wanted to make sure that we saw everything he had promised. And I have to confirm what the previous poster said: there is no way anything larger than our van could have navigated many of the streets we drove through. As it was, Rudy had to fold in the van's mirrors to make it down one of them! Our tour went from one end of the bay to the other, from the beach to the hilltops; we saw everything from the poorest parts of town to million dollar mansions, from well-known tourist spots to out-of-the way neighborhoods and, thanks to Rudy's knowledgeable commentary, we learned much about Acapulco and Mexico in general.

I know there have been suggestions that all the praises for Rudy are bogus and/or have been "planted" by him. I've not been on these boards for many years, as some people evidently have, but I have been using the forums for a couple of years and have posted before, so I hope that will be enough to prove that my comments are genuine. If anyone has any further questions that I might be able to answer, please don't hesitate to ask.

I did send an e-mail as well. He was prompt with his first reply, but I am still waiting for a reply to a question from a couple of days ago. I only contacted him because of all the good reviews I have read on this site. I also don't believe most of what I read, but I look at the recommendations from the people on here who have a lot of posts on this forum. Most of them have cruised a lot, as have I. I have not yet made my decision on who I will use in Acapulco.

I was actually referring to a thread Gumballz had posted on a tour operator in St. Thomas, not Rudy's rival. I also had personal experience with that tour operator that was less than spectacular so I do give her opinion merit.

I see that you don't have a ton of posts here. I think that when you have been around for a while you get to know whose opinion to trust. I have met some of these people on roll calls and gotten to know them on cruises, Gumballz happens to be one of them. I also had a similar experience on my Med cruise. There were tons of recommendations for a certain tour company and people were getting skeptical, but I did in fact end up using that company and they were spectacular. I guess that is why everyone was recommending them. So I guess some operators really are so good that people recommend them over and over.

I have not made any decisions yet about who I am going to go with. Hopefully I will make the right choice. I wish you luck in your search.

A group of us from our Cruise Critic roll Call used Rudy from Tour by Van when we visited Acapulco last month on the Coral Princess.

I can honestly say that Rudy's tours are worth every penny. If you want to see the true acapulco then use Rudy and Tour by Van. He took us everywhere that the tourist buses went plus much much more. There were 22 of us and we were split into 4 different vans for our comfort. Some of the photo vantage points we went were amazing.

If anyone wants any further assurance please ask.

Just back from our MexRiv cruise which included a stop in Acapulco. We booked our tour (we were 7 on our tour) with Rudy last October. Every correspondence from the very first inquiry was handled wonderfully by Rudy himself. We made our plans for our day in Acapulco and Rudy delivered. His tourguide for our group, Jose, met us at the pier and outlined our day in Acapulco. We saw all the highlights, including the cliff divers, and lunch at a lovely cafe on the beach. Jose was an excellent guide, full of information, and made our day perfect. Rudy himself met us at several points along the way to make sure we were happy and satisfied with our day. He does a great job!!!

I am so grateful that we found out about Rudy's company on these boards. I highly recommend him to anyone who wants to have a wonderful day in Acapulco.

Karen