Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ozemi

Zuiderdam: what are the chances of late/delayed arrivals in Alaskan ports?

Hello all,

I have booked an excursion for next month with Southeast Sea Kayaks in Ketchikan for 12 noon as the HAL itinerary states the Zuiderdam will dock in Ketchikan from 10am-6pm.

I just had a look on www.halfacts.com at the Zuiderdam's daily program from last month and it stated the ship arrived at 2pm. That's a 4-hour difference. It has made me feel a little nervous!

I'm assuming this has something to do with the Glacier Bay cruising the day before? Whatever the reason for the delayed arrival, for past Alaskan cruisers: have you experienced this before?

If you book shore excursions with HAL, do they accommodate for late arrivals to the ports?

I am in the process of getting more information from my travel insurance company but am torn between cancelling my tour with SSK and booking an excursion with HAL or waiting to see what happens on the day.

TIA :)

We were on the Zuiderdam in June and arrived on time. I haven't seen any posts about it being late so perhaps this was a fluke. Most companies will refund any deposits if the ship is late since it is beyond your control. I would talk with them about their policy. We did a floatplane trip with Island Wings and that was their policy.

We loved our cruise and you should have a GREAT time.

What are the chances of bad weather, a whale strike, a medical emergency, technical problems, etc...

...rare, but they can and do occasionally happen. That's the chances you take w/ booking independent excursions, and most independent excursion companies do make allowances for late ship arrivals - if not, book through a different company or the cruiseline.

I have booked an excursion for next month with Southeast Sea Kayaks in Ketchikan for 12 noon as the HAL itinerary states the Zuiderdam will dock in Ketchikan from 10am-6pm.

We did a Southeast Sea Kayak trip in July to Orca's Cove. You can read about it in our blog. Not very impressed.

We were on the Zuiderdam and arrived on time in every port.

Link to Blog at bottom of signature line below.

Hello all,

I just had a look on www.halfacts.com at the Zuiderdam's daily program from last month and it stated the ship arrived at 2pm. That's a 4-hour difference. It has made me feel a little nervous!

I'm assuming this has something to do with the Glacier Bay cruising the day before? Whatever the reason for the delayed arrival, for past Alaskan cruisers: have you experienced this before?

If you book shore excursions with HAL, do they accommodate for late arrivals to the ports?

I am in the process of getting more information from my travel insurance company but am torn between cancelling my tour with SSK and booking an excursion with HAL or waiting to see what happens on the day.

TIA :)

The Zuiderdam also left 2 hours later on that cruise (8pm). It's a different itinerary. The sailings on 8/22 and 9/12 also follow the different itinerary for Ketchikan (2-8pm instead of more frequent 10-6pm)

Thanks for all the responses - you've all been very helpful!

I didn't realise there was a different itinerary for the Zuiderdam.

Will report back after my cruise.

Not on an Alaskan cruise -- but we did have a medical emergency on a cruise -- had to anchor off Cabo -- use tenders to get 3 sick people, their families and luggage ahsore.

We were very late arriving in Manznanillo the next day -- the majority of the HAL tours were cancelled and their monies were refunded to them in the form of shipboard credit.