Oh my the Century!!!???

DonnaMW

Well I am just beside myself with all the reviews of the Century and all the negative remarks.

We booked last year on the Century, based on all the positive feedback from this board on the Century. Now there are 20 of us and a few that have not traveled Celebrity going on 1/29. A few of us talked them into trying Celebrity and we just felt that even though the ship was older, we all would love her based on the reports.

These bad reports will haunt me until we arrive on the ship. I hope some others come back this week and give better reports, like they are shaping up. Well I can hope!!!

Anyone else on her in the past month? Hopefully you could try and make me fell alittle better. Thanks Donna

We were on the 12-04-04 sailing and we had a wonderful time. The food was top notch and the ship was in good shape. I did not notice anything glaring that stood out. This ship is almost 10 years old so it is not brand new, but they have kept it in very good condition. I have sailed on the Century twice and would go again in a minute. Don't worry, just look forward to your cruise with excitement and you won't be disappointed. The staff and crew of the Century know how to take care of you. Have fun!!!

HI Donna,

Fear not. I was on the same cruise as leerobbs. I had a great time. The food was terrific and the service was great. I feel bad for the Dec 18th group, but the pilot bringing the ship into Jamaica looks like the culprit for grounding the ship and causing the prop and shaft to break. I would be annoyed to say the least if I was on that cruise, but I thing I would have been more scared if we got stuck in the middle of the carribean sea and not moving. The captian probably did the right thing by going back, but thet should have explained it better. I hope this helps.

Jeff

Thanks to everyone for their comments and especially you Donna for starting this thread. We're on the Jan 22 sailing and with so many negative comments being posted, we were getting a little worried.

I feel better now! :D

Toni

Hi Donna; you haven't posted in so long I thought perhaps you had changed your cruise plans. Good to know u are still going. I hope u have had all your group register for a C/C party, with that size group we are a definate.

Hope u had a good Christmas and keep in touch.

Jane

I plan on having a great time on the Century .... no fear. If we can keep that Ft Lauderdale sun shining with warm temps all will be good ( and for sailaway).

Hi Everyone !

I would also like to say that I am still a huge fan of Century. I know she has had some bad press of late, and she just came off of a sailing with a mechanical problem. With all that said, Century is typically a wonderful ship.

I have been on Century a few times (including about 6 months ago), and we have had nothing but wonderful experiences on her.

I am sure Celebrity is doing everything they can to resolve the issues that are around right now. I would not be surprised if most if not all of these issues, are resolved by now.

It is a shame that we are seeing some negative comments. It seems that every ship goes through this from time to time. But, if you take a look at all the wonderful Century comments on the boards over the years, I am sure it will make you MUCH less concerned.

I would book Century in a heartbeat. I had hoped to sail on her again this Summer, but as we all know, she wont be in Florida. Sadly, I will probably be Cruising on another Cruise line, as Celebrity will have nothing to offer us this coming Summer. IMHO, this is a huge mistake by Celebrity. As of right now, they are doing an excellent job of alienating their loyal past Cruisers. I hope they will do something to resolve this very soon !

At any rate, to all of you who are booked (or thinking of booking Century) please try not to worry too much about Century. I am confident you will have a wonderful time !

Thanks everyone on this thread. As Toni said, we were starting to worry about our choice of Century!!! We were looking forward to meeting each other at our CC party and but a little concerned about all the bad things happening on this particular ship. Sounds like we need to just start packing for a great time. I always like to say the glass is half full, not half empty...so hopefully a good attitude will help. You have all helped with your positive notes, and thanks Donna.

Patti

Oh Thanks to all!

So glad to get some of that positive feedback. We love Celebrity. Just went to the Med on the Millie and had a perfect cruise. Also I should remember from some of our other cruises that things happen. Like on the Infinity's inauguaral cruise to Hawaii, We were not able to go to kauai. What a disappointment. No money was given but we went on with the cruise. Also we missed the Caymans once on the Summit. No money just some drinks.

So we did have good times despite a few disappointments.

Well I hope the others we steered in Celebrity's way have a great time like we have had on the other ships. We were all on the Mariner of the Seas RCI last year and we found it entirely too big and this is why we decided to go with the smaller ship.

So thanks to all for the encouragement and can't wait to get packing!!!!

Donna

Hello "Friends of Celebrity"

After reading a slew of "concerns' about Celeb and its devil-offspring-Century, I will nonetheless summon all my courage and bravely go into the belly of the beast itself on its Jan-2-05 Century sailing. PRAY FOR ME -FELLOW MARINERS.

I will charge recklessly ahead - tho there be carpet stains to the left of me - rust spots to the right of me - BUT I SHALL FEAR NO EVIL - only debarkation.

I will keep chanting, while fingering my worry-beads, the mantra:

"Formal = tuxedo, assigned seating is a good thing, under-bed dust-bunnies don't bite, I brought alot of nickle and dimes for extra services" .

I just hope its enough to see me through this looming nightmare.

And so 'friends of Celebrity' - if there are any of you still admitting it publicly -

I HOPE to return to post, if the sky doesn't fall in the meantime, on or about Jan 10, a report of my epic struggle of wrestling with the demon-Century!!

Wish me God-speed.

Greydog,

Good luck in fighting the demon. Perhaps you will whip it into shape for us.

We will be patiently waiting for your full report upon return. Have a great time!!!!!! A great attitude and sense of humor is part of a great vacation!!!! Donna

For Greydog

We will also be aboard "demon" Century for the January 2nd sojurn. I love your great sense of humor. Like you, I'm thinking positive. Century has been through so much bad luck....that the new year will most likely produce a home run. And...I think we're going to be in the ball park when this "ship comes in."

Cheers

Cyberhankster

Greydog: You post was a riot! We are on the Jan 29th sailing of Century and have been reading all the stuff posted with some, but not a lot, of concern.

Donna: We were on Century in May (7 months ago) and had a fabulous time. We did not hesitate to book her again. Even if she has more wear and tear than last time she will be better than many a ship we have sailed! Please check in on our Roll Call when you get a chance. We've got some nice folks going with us!

Rene

I cannot speak of the century in particular, but if the service alone is anything like the service we'd experienced on our Celebrity cruise, you will be in heaven. Also remember to keep things in perspective and take all reviews, whether glowing or awful, with a grain of salt. Usually those who post bad reviews just have an ax to grind, and it may not even be the century's fault. You'll see a lot more bad reviews than good usually because those who had a good time are too busy planning another cruise to review the one they were just on! ;)

I am sure you will emjoy the cruise. We were on the 12/18 cruise.

Yes we did miss Cozumel, and yes the ship is getting a little worn with the balky elevators being perhaps the worst problem. On balance however the cruise was excellent. The whole crew gave their maximum effort to making sure we were well supplied with the most excellent food, and entertainment, and everything else we might need. We had a great time, and made some great new friends among the crew and passengers.

Our disappointment was missing Cozumel, and being only given $100 per cabin in on board credit. Assuming that problem does not recur, and you are patient with the elevator buttons, you should have a great time.

We were on the November 6th cruise and had a fabulous time! The ship was very well maintained and you'd never guess it was 10 years old. The staff was excellent and so was the food. Don't worry about it or you may be miserable the entire time. Just relax and you will enjoy yourselves.

A great big "Bon Voyage" and Happy New Year to you!!!!!! LOVED your post, Greydog!!!! We are happily waiting to hear about your cruise!!!!

Could you check one thing...I know there are a lot of Indian staff (our waiters and one of our room stewards were from India)...if there is an address for a relief fund that would go directly to the relatives of these employees, could you please post it when you get back? If not, we figure we'll take care of it in April when we sail. I'm sure even though it will be after the fact, it wil still be much needed. When you think about it, many won't have a home to back to when their contracts are up. :(

and it was great. Everyone (2 kids included) had a great time and the fact I am still checking these boards tells you we had a great time.

Only negative was it was a very quiet cruise. Thus if you want activities (in the sun) or are very active, it is not the cruise for you.

I'm hooked.....

Our November 6th cruise was wonderful....I can find nothing to complain about...the ship was great, service was spectacular, food was wonderful, didn't even have a problem with the elevators, though we used the stairs a lot :) Enjoy your cruise, and if there are any problems, just keep smiling, no matter what the problem is, it's got to be better than ice, snow and cold, and certainly a whole lot better than those in Asia face right now....we have to be grateful for we are blessed with SO much.

Century is still a good value, but we cruised her November 13th and were onboard during the CDC inspection which she failed. This ship is still in pretty good shape, but if you are really looking you will see many "little" things that shouldn't be the way they are. Simple things like chair upholstery being torn, in cabin network for account access didn't work at all, and maintenance crews constantly working around the food service areas. Time for this ship to see a "maintenance month". I would sail her again, but only after a refurb.

Rob

Archived