Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CoachTerry14

Hurricane Bill

Ana is now very disrupted and will continue to be. It's possible that it may try to make a comeback in the eastern Gulf late wed/thur. Port Canaveral should not be bothered by Ana very much except for a stray band. Swell will be building from Bill well to the east, as it should become a major hurricane.

Great news . . . thanks!

I'm leaving JAX to the Bahamas on Sat- and that's pretty much what I'm hearing. Lots of bumps= fun to me!

Nearly same forecast as other poster:

Ana is now very disrupted and will continue to be. It's possible that it may try to make a comeback in the eastern Gulf late wed/thur. JAX should not be bothered by Ana too much either, except for some rain. A front should be in the vicinity by Saturday. Swell will be building from Bill well to the east, as it should become a major hurricane.

A group of us are on the Carnival Miracle schedule to leave from NY this coming Thursday afternoon (8/20/09), with scheduled arrivals in San Juan @2:00 pm Sunday afternoon (8/23/09), St. Thomas on Monday (8/24/09) and Grand Turk Tuesday (8/25)

Looking at the current track of Bill, I am, to say the least, concerned, particularly on what we will encounter. I am making two assumptions:

1) That Ana is no longer an issue and 2). That if Bill continues on its projected path (100 miles either side of Bermuda by 8:00 am Saturday), that our ship will skirt the storm by paralleling as close as possible the US coast.

Any comments (path of storm, guesses on the ship navigation, even estimates on sea conditions if we are > 500 miles from the storm, etc...) are greatly appreciated.

John

We're leaving on Sat. 8/22 out of NYC on the Caribbean Princess, and heading north to Canada/New England. Hopefully this won't be a problem.:(

Just saw the weather channel forecast......and while Bill is likely to be a strong one........unless you're planning to go to Bermuda....there won't be anything to worry about !

Direction will be shifting north away from the islands and the east coast.

Yay ! Hope we're as lucky next month !

Indeed, I'm hopeful for our Sept cruise as well. I don't really care if the itinerary gets changed, I just want to be able to get to Ft Lauderdale and leave from there as scheduled.

Of course, in a perfect world, all hurricanes would simply peter out deep in the ocean away from land and people!

Any impact on FLL - Grand Cayman/Cozumel leaving Saturday 8/22?

What about airport delays BOS - FLL on Friday 8/21....

Our family has a cruise on RCCL embarking from Baltimore this Saturday, 22nd of August for Bermuda. BILL is projected to hit Bermuda late that afternoon.

Of course, this is just a "projection", but what if it does hit as thought? My question is to ask what will happen to the cruise? What would RCCL do as far as heading out into the Atlantic? Will we reroute to get underneath the hurricane and then head north to Bermuda behind it, or will we head south to Caribbean to another port, or just sit in a holding pattern at sea? Any experts out there than can approximate what the company/ship will do to save the day?

Thanks in advance...

We are going on Saturday too. I have been checking the RCCL website a lot anticipating a change in itinerary. Guess it is a wait and see game as of now.

We are leaving Port Canaveral on Thursday for a 3 day to Nassau (in Nassau on Friday) - what are the chances that we will feel the affects of Hurricane Bill as far as rough seas?

A group of us are on the Carnival Miracle schedule to leave from NY this coming Thursday afternoon (8/20/09), with scheduled arrivals in San Juan @2:00 pm Sunday afternoon (8/23/09), St. Thomas on Monday (8/24/09) and Grand Turk Tuesday (8/25)

Looking at the current track of Bill, I am, to say the least, concerned, particularly on what we will encounter. I am making two assumptions:

1) That Ana is no longer an issue and 2). That if Bill continues on its projected path (100 miles either side of Bermuda by 8:00 am Saturday), that our ship will skirt the storm by paralleling as close as possible the US coast.

Any comments (path of storm, guesses on the ship navigation, even estimates on sea conditions if we are > 500 miles from the storm, etc...) are greatly appreciated.

John

Good job John, I can't add much to that...Swell may be "fun" from Bill, especially if it becomes a major hurricane.

We're leaving on Sat. 8/22 out of NYC on the Caribbean Princess, and heading north to Canada/New England. Hopefully this won't be a problem.:(

Bill will be rapidly moving north / northeast heading to southeast of Cape Race (eastern) Newfoundland by Sunday night. There may be some swell, but it should get better as the trip goes on and Bill is gone ( by Monday ).

I've been avoiding any mention of the "H" word in our 10/10 Bermuda Roll Call but a member finally brought it up amid news of Bill.

At last check, the ocean temp off south Jersey was 81-degrees; ripe for refueling storms.

Fortunately, Bermuda is weather battle hardened. Still, hurricanes are an awesome force and I know residents there are taking the proper precautions.

Thanks for all the info in this thread.

Any impact on FLL - Grand Cayman/Cozumel leaving Saturday 8/22?

What about airport delays BOS - FLL on Friday 8/21....

don't think you'll have problems with cruise. airport delays - don't know?? a front is approaching with scattered storms

I've been avoiding any mention of the "H" word in our 10/10 Bermuda Roll Call but a member finally brought it up amid news of Bill.

At last check, the ocean temp off south Jersey was 81-degrees; ripe for refueling storms.

Fortunately, Bermuda is weather battle hardened. Still, hurricanes are an awesome force and I know residents there are taking the proper precautions.

Thanks for all the info in this thread.

Temp off of the Jersey shore actually means little in regards to a hurricane affecting the trip. There are very few hurricanes that the eye has passed over Bermuda. It's a pinpoint in a very large ocean. As for the sea swell that's a different story since it can travel long distances.

Rich:

Thanks for the reply...let me ask an unfair question...Been on 5 cruises so far and I've never really experienced significant 'swells'...given 'Bill's' projected path what's you best guess on what I'll experience?? (more concerned about my wife!!)...Thanks!

John

The size of the seas makes no difference after a certain point IMHO. Rough, disorganized chop can throw you out of bed and smooth swells can make you lose your lunch!

Just bring Bonine and take it as a precaution, round the clock until you're clear.

Leaving out of Boston to Bermuda on Friday. We are supposed to be in Bermuda on Sunday. Hoping we wait it out and not go to Nova Scotia. Any updates or good news would be appriciated. :-) Lets hope i'm not in NS next week.

Rich:

Thanks for the reply...let me ask an unfair question...Been on 5 cruises so far and I've never really experienced significant 'swells'...given 'Bill's' projected path what's you best guess on what I'll experience?? (more concerned about my wife!!)...Thanks!

John

That's really tough to say. It depends on how strong Bill gets and how close the ship is to it. I've sailed in 10' seas and was ok.

Leaving out of Boston to Bermuda on Friday. We are supposed to be in Bermuda on Sunday. Hoping we wait it out and not go to Nova Scotia. Any updates or good news would be appriciated. :-) Lets hope i'm not in NS next week.

The forecast hasn't changed for a similar cruise in a different thread. Check out my forecast if you would like additional info on bill.

We're sailing out of NYC on Saturday to Newport Sunday, Boston Monday, Bar Harbor Tuesday, St John Wednesday, Halifax Thursday and back to NYC Friday. How could Bill affect this cruise? :confused:

We're sailing out of NYC on Saturday to Newport Sunday, Boston Monday, Bar Harbor Tuesday, St John Wednesday, Halifax Thursday and back to NYC Friday. How could Bill affect this cruise? :confused:

It looks like Bill will be 100-200 miles east of Boston early Sunday am, then near Cape Race Newfoundland by Monday AM. Swell and possible rain bands will be the issues.

Hi Hurricane Expert! Thanks for all the good info here.

I'm on Carnival Triumph later this week.(NY to Canada). We leave port in St John Saturday 6pm, back in NY on Monday 8am. I'm thinking we may get some rough weather heading home. Am I right? How far out from the storm's center can the seas be affected?