Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CoachTerry14

Hurricane Bill

We are leaving Bayonne, NJ on the Explorer on Thursday first port was to be Bermuda. Still no word from RCCL as to where we are going. Looks like we are in for a bumpy ride.

Hurricane Expert, can you tell me what the damage in bermuda will be if the hurricane continues on its path and comes w/i 100 miles of bermuda? i am going there on tuesday August 25 and dont know if the ship will be able to pull in or even if the island can be open for business. give me your thoughts!

Check out my forecast if you would like additional info on bill.

Maybe I'm just clueless, but could you direct me to where you're updating your forecasts? Thanks so much! We're sailing out of Baltimore down to the Caribbean on Friday. Crossing our fingers, hoping for the best, and definitely expecting a few bumps along the way!

Maybe I'm just clueless, but could you direct me to where you're updating your forecasts? Thanks so much! We're sailing out of Baltimore down to the Caribbean on Friday. Crossing our fingers, hoping for the best, and definitely expecting a few bumps along the way!

My website....see link on my signature.

...itinerary this afternoon. You will visit Bermuda last...I'd like to know how they are going to dodge the storm. I guess down the coastline. Could be bumpy, alright... Good luck and Godspeed!

...itinerary this afternoon. You will visit Bermuda last...I'd like to know how they are going to dodge the storm. I guess down the coastline. Could be bumpy, alright... Good luck and Godspeed!

I give some points where Bill is expected to be over the next several days on my website. What the cruiseline does is something only they know.

Bermuda is our only port of call on the 22nd Aug cruise out of Baltimore. It is a 5 day leaving Baltimore on Saturday, sea day Sunday, supposed to dock in Bermuda on Monday, stay Tuesday and then sea day Wednesday and home Thursday am. I am hoping it isn't too bumpy. Guess we will have to wait and see what Bill decides to do.

My girlfriend and I are on the Carnival Victory leaving this Sunday the 23rd out of San Juan at 10 pm. Our flight leaves JFK in NY at 9am and arrives in San Juan at 1 pm. We thought we were fine with a 9 hour window but with Hurricane Bill looming we are a bit nervous.

We aren't so much nervous about the weather in San Juan, but more so of the weather here in NY. It looks as if the hurricane might be just east of us on Sunday morning so we are concerned about possible flight delays or even cancellations. Should we cough up extra money for a day early flight and hotel for a night or are we being paranoid with a 9 hour window between flight and cruise?

smessineo.... I have updated my forecast recently. Please check that. The sea swell can propogate a long way from a major hurricane.

Maybe it's me, but where would I find the forecast? I went to the website and it is very confusing. Tis much easier to get it from the tube.

Hi Rich! Also from north Atlanta - previously Charleston, SC - a Hurricane Hugo veteran here - everytime I see those colored satellite views of a big storm, it reminds me of Hugo!

I don't think your website is confusing - but it's kind of "crowded" looking - when I log on to it - the drop down menus are ALL displayed over other info at the top. Have tried minimizing those, but no luck.

Thank you for your information!!!

Hi Rich! Also from north Atlanta - previously Charleston, SC - a Hurricane Hugo veteran here - everytime I see those colored satellite views of a big storm, it reminds me of Hugo!

I don't think your website is confusing - but it's kind of "crowded" looking - when I log on to it - the drop down menus are ALL displayed over other info at the top. Have tried minimizing those, but no luck.

Thank you for your information!!!

Are you using the dreaded internet explorer 8 browser version? If so, it has a bug that keeps the drop down menus open. Other browsers don't do that.

Hi Rich! Well it pays to check! I thought for sure I had Ex7 but after checking I found I have the dreaded 8.....I know what I'm going to be doing this afternoon! Thanks for your help! That will also explain some other issues I've been having with the PC!

My girlfriend and I are on the Carnival Victory leaving this Sunday the 23rd out of San Juan at 10 pm. Our flight leaves JFK in NY at 9am and arrives in San Juan at 1 pm. We thought we were fine with a 9 hour window but with Hurricane Bill looming we are a bit nervous.

We aren't so much nervous about the weather in San Juan, but more so of the weather here in NY. It looks as if the hurricane might be just east of us on Sunday morning so we are concerned about possible flight delays or even cancellations. Should we cough up extra money for a day early flight and hotel for a night or are we being paranoid with a 9 hour window between flight and cruise?

The hurricane should be southeast of Cape Cod Sunday morning. I guess it just depends on how nervous you are, and if would want a guarantee of making it on time. I think that the wind and rain from the hurricane itself will be east of NYC. One forecast model has a band of showers near NYC not connected with the hurricane, other models are dry....not a concensus.

Bill will be moving across southern Nova Scotia or barely offshore today, then to southern Newfoundland tonight. Cruise conditions will be getting better soon!

Bill will be moving across southern Nova Scotia or barely offshore today, then to southern Newfoundland tonight. Cruise conditions will be getting better soon!

Thanks Bill. Do you see any tropical waves or depressions starting to form off the Coast of Africa that have the potential to become storms in the next week to 10 days?

Thanks Bill. Do you see any tropical waves or depressions starting to form off the Coast of Africa that have the potential to become storms in the next week to 10 days?

Yes, I am am about to post about one of them now......

Thanks Rich. And sorry for calling you Bill. I guess I had that big mass of air on my mind. :D

So after a hurricane the water is kicked up and murky? I am going to Bermuda on Friday...my ship gets there on Sunday....is the water going to still be cloudy....if it is I don't want to waste my money trying to snorkel in grey water. Thanks for any input.