Montreal - Loews or QE plus tipping ?

I can get a room at Loews or the Queen Elizabeth right now for about the same price. Just one overnight before my cruise. Opinions???

Also - I know this is a "personal" question, but, how much do you tip porters in Canadian hotels? I'll have two suitcases plus a carry-on. I'm concerned about using the "loonies and twonies", just doesn't feel right for this U.S. person. Is $5 CAD too much? Any advice would be appreciated.

I can get a room at Loews or the Queen Elizabeth right now for about the same price. Just one overnight before my cruise. Opinions???

Also - I know this is a "personal" question, but, how much do you tip porters in Canadian hotels? I'll have two suitcases plus a carry-on. I'm concerned about using the "loonies and twonies", just doesn't feel right for this U.S. person. Is $5 CAD too much? Any advice would be appreciated.

A great website to check out hotel reviews and rankings by travellers such as yourself is www.tripadvisor.com - just punch in hotel name in search bar. As for tipping, porters are no different in Canada - $5 seems bang on and sufficient. $USD and $CDN is fine - not much difference in value anyhow.

There are 2 entirely different Queen Elizabeth hotels in Montreal owned by different companies. Which one do you want to know about?

Loonies and Toonies are easy to use. Your purse will just be heavier than usual. Tip in Canadian dollars what you would tip in USD at an equal hotel in the US. $5 for all your stuff sounds about right.

Thanks for all the responses. I'll probably get some $CAD before I leave so I can pay for the cab fare, etc. Great to know that most of you think $5CAD should be about right. I'll be on my own, and will really appreciate the porter service both checking in and checking out.

It's the QE Fairmont. Should have probably said that I'm just looking for a really nice, quiet place to spend the late afternoon and night before the cruise. Not interested in touring or shopping, so location isn't that important, other than the quietness and, maybe, the ability to take a short stroll around.

The Fairmont Queen Elizabeth Hotel is the only Queen Elizabeth hotel in Montreal! I remember way back when it opened, and have even worked there 30+ years ago. So I guarantee that there is only 1!!! I am not sure what the Vogue used to be called, I do know that it is over on Mountain (De La Montagne) so is still central downtown area, but imho the Queen E is still the best hotel. Fairmont quality, the Beaver Club Restaurant, and being smack dab right in the middle of the underground city, it can't be beat!

Archived