Is 6pm too late for Sagrada Familia or Parc Guell?

JerseyBird

My flight arrives at 4pm on Sat. If we get to Sagrada Familia (close at 8pm) or Parc Guell, will it be too late, too dark to see the beauty of it?

Will there still be a long line by then? I could not find a place to purchase tickets online ahead of time:(.

This way it will free me on Sunday( from 12-5pm) for La Ramblas, Palace de Catelunya, Casa Batllo and La Pedrera.

My other option would be go to La Ramblas and Barri Gotic area on Saturday after hotel check-in. Then Sunday after cruise check-in, from 12-5pm, go to visit Sagrada Familia and Parc Guell. Then I don't know where I can fit in Casa Batllo and La Pedrera.

Too many attractions, too little time!

Advice please! Thanks!

My flight arrives at 4pm on Sat. If we get to Sagrada Familia (close at 8pm) or Parc Guell, will it be too late, too dark to see the beauty of it?

Will there still be a long line by then? I could not find a place to purchase tickets online ahead of time:(.

This way it will free me on Sunday( from 12-5pm) for La Ramblas, Palace de Catelunya, Casa Batllo and La Pedrera.

My other option would be go to La Ramblas and Barri Gotic area on Saturday after hotel check-in. Then Sunday after cruise check-in, from 12-5pm, go to visit Sagrada Familia and Parc Guell. Then I don't know where I can fit in Casa Batllo and La Pedrera.

Too many attractions, too little time!

Advice please! Thanks!

If you are flying over from NJ you will be just be getting off an eight hour flight. You don't want to rush Sagrada Familia to fully appreciate the genius. Walking through La Ramblas and Barri Gotic is something that you can do without much concentration, just walk and soak up the ambiance. We loved Barri Gotic, La Ramblas we enjoyed, but to give you an analogy, it's like what Times Square is in NY. jmo

I agree.

From airport - go to hotel and check in. Then take a stroll along Las Ramblas stopping for tapas somewhere along the way. We walked it both day and nightime and it was nice both ways.

Then get an early good nights sleep (after a long flight) and head out first thing in the morning for the other sights on your list. We never rush to the ship to check in opting instead to spend a little more time in our port of embarkation...... we figure we'll be in the ship all week or more depending on how long the cruise is :D (We do not, however, wait until the last minute either.....allowing plenty of time to get to the ship and check-in before sailaway)

I'm not sure why you're cutting yourself short and starting Sunday at noon. If you really want to see all those attractions, you can get yourself up earlier to start your day and have time to see everything.

I'd do Barri Gotic & Las Ramblas on Saturday evening. Leave the hotel ASAP to allow more time for sightseeing :) I'd walk through Barri Gotic first; Las Ramblas will be busy later into the night and can easily be done second. An hour of walking in each area would be enough to give you a taste of the neighborhood; get a good guidebook for some information on what you'll be seeing. See if you can eat tapas/dinner outside on Las Ramblas to soak up some more people-watching. Yes, it's touristy and expensive, but it's easy and convenient. I'm guessing after a long flight, you won't have energy to do much else.

The next morning, you can see La Pedrera, Casa Battlo, Sagrada Familia, and Parc Guell all before boarding with a little planning. First, make sure you are all packed up EARLY in the morning and check out of you room and have the front desk hold your luggage. Leave the hotel by 8am in order to get breakfast and make it to your first attraction by 9am, which is when everything opens. Have a route mapped out so you don't waste time getting from place to place and buy your tickets ahead of time online so you don't have to waste time standing in long lines just to get in. A hotel concierge may also be able to help acquiring tickets, for a fee.

Spend one hour at each attraction, thrown in some time to get from place to place, and plan on eating a quick lunch (or pack a picnic lunch to eat at Parc Guell). You should be able to return to your hotel by 3 to get your luggage and then take a cab to the port giving you enough time to be onboard for a 7pm sailing.

My personal opinion: skip either Casa Mila (La Pedrera) or Casa Battlo. Unless you are a huge Gaudi/architecture fan, one is probably enough, and that would allow you extra time at the remaining three attractions you'd like to see. I quickly came to the conclusion on my visit to Barcelona that there wasn't enough time to see everything, so I just had to save a few things for my next visit to Barcelona!:) Enjoy your trip!!

My original plan was to check out from hotel and check in with the cruise, then I don't have to worry about it until sail time. That's why my sightseeing starts at noon.

But I think what you said makes more sense.

My only concern is the jet-lag. Getting up at 8am is like 2am at home just a day ago:(.

I am still thinking, we should go to Parc Guell Saturday evening (since it's a little out of the way), then go to La Ramblas, so Sunday will be able to concentrate the the city centre.

Thanks!

My only concern is the jet-lag. Getting up at 8am is like 2am at home just a day ago:(.

My experience with jetlag is that I am most tired on the day of arrival, mostly because I didn't get any sleep on the airplane and not because of the time change. Obviously, everybody reacts to jetlag differently, but my guess is that you will be exhausted that first afternoon after all that traveling and you will fall asleep early that first night!! If you are in bed at 10pm "Spain time", then waking up at 8am Spain time gives you 10 hours of sleep, which should be more than enough. Just my opinion. I wouldn't worry about "home time" versus "Spain time". What the clock reads will not matter as much as how tired your body is.

You need to decide what is more important to you - seeing ALL the attractions you listed or starting a little later in the morning. There is absolutely nothing wrong with sleeping in on vacation (I do it too sometimes;)) but if you do so, you will need to shorten your sightseeing list because you only have one day. It just depends on whether all of them are "must-see's" or if you are willing to give one of them up. Remember if you are very tired, your first day on the cruise is a Sea Day which thankfully would allow you plenty of time to catch up on your rest.

Better yet - make two plans. One for if you wake up early and one if you sleep in. Then you can play it by ear when you find out how tired you are.

I am still thinking, we should go to Parc Guell Saturday evening (since it's a little out of the way), then go to La Ramblas, so Sunday will be able to concentrate the the city centre.

Parc Guell is not as "out of the way" as it seems. It is only 2 miles from Sagrada Familia and just 1.5 miles from Casa Batllo. Either way, that is a quick taxi ride! Everyone makes it seem farther away because it is not easily accessible by metro, but save yourself the hassle (especially given your limited time in Barcelona) and pay for the taxi.

Remember, if your flight arrives at 4pm, by the time you claim your luggage, go through customs/immigration (if necessary), and take a taxi to your hotel it will already be close to 5pm if not later. Then you still need to check in and drop your bags off and convince yourself not to fall asleep on those comfortable beds! :p If your flight is delayed at all, you could find yourself with very little time at Parc Guell before it closes (at dusk, around 8:30). Las Ramblas goes late into the night, so even if your flight is delayed, there will still be plenty of entertainers, shopping and restaurants to keep you busy! It is certainly possible to do Parc Guell on that first night, but I'm sticking with my original suggestion.

Just understand that on sundays in Barcelona, virtually nothing is open. Personally, I love seeing Sagrada Familla all lit up at night. I'd maybe try to do Parc Guell on Sunday morning - but please take a cab - it's a really steep climb!

Just understand that on sundays in Barcelona, virtually nothing is open.

That is not true! Yes, a lot of stores may be closed (or have limited hours) but most tourist attractions are still open. The original poster mentioned Sagrada Familia, Casa Batllo, and La Pedrera - all of which are open on Sunday. Not sure what you are referring to about what is closed :confused:

We arrived on a Sunday and Las Ramblas was crowded, all the street performers were there. Then we went to the Picasso museum and we found out that it was free after three p.m. on Sunday. We had dinner in the Barri Gotic that evening. As for jet lag, you need to go to bed Barcelona time. So if 11:30 p.m. is bedtime, it will really be 5:30 NJ time but you need to go to bed, take a tylenol p.m.

We were in Barcelona on a Sunday in May. Some shops, like grocery and Department Stores were closed. But, we found most stores open.

If you are worried about being tired and missing out on Sight Seeing the first day,...get on the HO-HO. Let it carry you around, save your legs and energy for the next day. Start out early the next day, take the metro to the Familia church, metro exit is right out front, spend the extra few Euro's and go up in the towers (incredible view!) They have a great Metro system in Barcelona, give it a try!

Barcelona is a beautiful city, no matter what you do, you'll have a great time.

Hello!

I'm from Barcelona, so I think that I can help you.

Casa Batlló and La Pedrera (also known as Casa Milà), are in the same street: Passeig de Gràcia, and the Sagrada Familia is at the end (or the begining, if you look it from the other side); so you can see the 3 things at the same time.

The Parc Güell, is a little far from there. You should take a taxi to arrive, or a bus.

In summer it becomes dark at 9pm, more or less. In August there's people everywhere you go, and much more in the turistic places.

Archived