Clothes for Canada, NE cruise

Randi S.

"We will be sailing Oct. 3. I live in AZ, so as of now, I only have light jackets, sweatshirts etc. as 'winter' gear.

Any suggestions on what I should purchase for this cruise?"

Snowshoes, parka with fox fur lined hood, Arctic mitts with hand warmers!!!

NPSH, I think you might get taken seriously!!!:)

To the OP, I am leaving on the Canada/NE cruise the week before, and the 10 day forecast is for the high 60s/mid 70s daily. I doubt that one week later would be much different. I have also done this cruise 2x in the past, at the same time of year, and had similar weather.

It may rain, but your light jackets/sweatshirts should be all you need.

We were there last Oct and only wore a light jacket at every port. The weather was usually in the low to mid sixties during the day in Canada . We did have some light rain showers in Newport and Portland. For us it was perfect walking around weather.

We will be going for the 3rd time on this cruise on Oct 17. We bring sweatshirts, light jackets and a rainproof gortek type over jacket. I have taken a pair of shorts but haven't used them mid October. We did have some rain on each of the past two cruises especially the 2004 trip when we were in TS Nicole the first 2 days (after leaving NY) THe ship in the evening can be cool as well. We haven't taken heavy winter clothes on this cruise, although I always have a pair of those very cheap stretch knit gloves for cool evenings!! (I have used them even on an Oct Balt/carribbean cruise!!)

You can check the weather report for your various ports a few days before leaving, but last year I was very comfortable in long sleeved shirts with a sleeveless fleece vest, in many ports. Jeans and layers would be my advice for your itinerary. You can take off or put on as the weather dictates, and as you go into shops or museums, whatever. If you are going to a port and will be doing a fair bit of walking, you might get hot, hence the suggestion of layers.

Honestly, it's not January, so I really think you'll be fine without heavy "winter" gear. Do not invest in a heavy coat or parka; you simply won't need it. JMO.

RAIN COAT & UMBRELLA would be my top suggestions.

I did Celebrity New England/Canada Sept 22 to Oct 4 2006 and it absolutely poured in Halifax and Quebec. So much so, that umbrellas were turning inside out from the wind and rain, so if you didn't have a good rain coat you got soaked anyway.

I wore sweatsuits most days. Changing to a little dressier outfits for dinner. I did see a wool cape in Quebec I fell in love with so just had to buy it, then found gloves and a hat on-board ship sale that matched the cape. The only place I was freezing cold was on our balcony, so I used the cape, hat and gloves there. But unfortunately living in Southern California, I haven't had the opportunity to wear them since.

Hi All,

As we are on the last cruise of the season I assume, come last week in Oct, temps will be lower, however as we are from Scotland, we will be able wear our thongs and bikinis are still be warm.

yours Shogun

RAIN COAT & UMBRELLA would be my top suggestions.

I did Celebrity New England/Canada Sept 22 to Oct 4 2006 and it absolutely poured in Halifax and Quebec. So much so, that umbrellas were turning inside out from the wind and rain, so if you didn't have a good rain coat you got soaked anyway.

I wore sweatsuits most days. Changing to a little dressier outfits for dinner. I did see a wool cape in Quebec I fell in love with so just had to buy it, then found gloves and a hat on-board ship sale that matched the cape. The only place I was freezing cold was on our balcony, so I used the cape, hat and gloves there. But unfortunately living in Southern California, I haven't had the opportunity to wear them since.

You can take an Alaska cruise and put the cape to good use!!

This is what I typically wear in October: Fitted Tee Shirt under a Long sleeve cotton tee. Then I usually wear a sweatshirt, light sweater or light jacket over that. Then either khakis or jeans. As other have said layering is the key, it can be very chilly in the mornings but as the day goes on & the sun heats up it can get warm out, esp if you are walking around. Have a great trip.

Since you live in AZ, it would not seem smart to purchase clothes just for this cruise unless they would be worn at home on chilly evenings. Best advice I could give is to take clothes that you can layer - a windbreaker over a sweat shirt should be fine for daytime both on the ship and on shore excursions. Since the ships do not seem to vary the A/C much from one geographic area to another, some sort of shawl or dressy sweater is advisable for evening:)

I live in Massachusetts and frequently travel to Canada. I agree that bringing layers is a great idea. I would also suggest bringing some shorts and short sleeve shirts because it can also be quite warm during this time of year. Have a great cruise.

Hello,

We live in Halifax, NS, and October is usually a really good month (by our standards). The leaves will be starting to turn, but it can get chilly at night.

Layers are the best recommendation. A fleece jacket would not go astray.

If you're used to AZ heat, a wool sweater or cardigan might be indicated.

October daytime highs can be in the mid to high teens or low 20's, and night times usually get into the single digits (Celsius, of course). Our Indian Summer is usually one of the nicest times of the year. It has been in the low 30's for the last 2 weeks, so we look forward to a bit of cool weather... other than Hurricane Bill is going to visit us on Sunday :(

Enjoy our beautiful scenery and hospitality!

Carl

We will be sailing Oct. 3. I live in AZ, so as of now, I only have light jackets, sweatshirts etc. as 'winter' gear.

Any suggestions on what I should purchase for this cruise?

Thanks!

We'll be on this cruise, as well! We live in IN and tonight I pulled out my early-mid fall clothes. Will be shopping tomorrow with a friend to get maybe a couple new outfits. I like the layered idea.

I'd recommend a polar fleece jacket and a breathable rain jacket (something like goretex). The cold, damp weather can really seem cold when you are used to warm, dry weather. We went in late September and had a couple of days of rainy weather and the rest of the time is was cool and breezy. I really appreciated both the fleece and the goretex jacket.

Hello,

October daytime highs can be in the mid to high teens or low 20's, and night times usually get into the single digits (Celsius, of course). Our Indian Summer is usually one of the nicest times of the year.

Carl

Carl, I'm glad you added the celsius reminder - probably scared the tea water out of folks who aren't familiar with our weather reports! Layers and rain gear are requirements - umbrellas are useless when you have high winds, unless of course you want to hang glide out over the harbour, LOL!:eek:

One item I picked up for our Alaska cruise a few years ago was a thin Goretex hooded parka with a zip-in/zip-out fleece liner that can also be worn alone. It was lightweight and waterproof if it was cool or rainy and it was plenty warm enough to stand out in the cold and look at the glaciers on the balcony. I've even used it snow skiing and I was plenty warm. I plan on bringing it along on our upcoming Canada NE cruise. It's very versatile and works great in practically everything Mother Nature can throw at you.

Other than that, I second the "layered" idea. Works great, as long as you stay dry.

"We will be sailing Oct. 3. I live in AZ, so as of now, I only have light jackets, sweatshirts etc. as 'winter' gear.

Any suggestions on what I should purchase for this cruise?"

Snowshoes, parka with fox fur lined hood, Arctic mitts with hand warmers!!!

LOL! Also October is when all us Canadians close up the country and retreat to our igloos for the winter...;)

Seriously, to the OP, take layers and you will be fine.

Enjoy your cruise :)

Cindy

This is what I typically wear in October: Fitted Tee Shirt under a Long sleeve cotton tee. Then I usually wear a sweatshirt, light sweater or light jacket over that. Then either khakis or jeans. As other have said layering is the key, it can be very chilly in the mornings but as the day goes on & the sun heats up it can get warm out, esp if you are walking around. Have a great trip.

What do you wear in the winter?:confused:

We too will be on this cruise. I'm starting to put my "cool clothes" in our spare closet. Since we are in So Cal we don't wear longsleeved things too often. I'm looking forward to wearing a sweater and vest. But I will bring a warm jacket. Just in case... I get cold easily. We are getting excited already.

Archived