Web access via 3G 4G Edge etc on iphone and blackberry??

Has anyone been able to access the web via their iphone or blackberry when in port? We'll be in Roatan, Belize, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel. I'm hoping we can connect this way once we're on land.

Anyone know if these networks pick up anywhere? If so, is it considered roaming or whatever? TIA

Normally the web access is not considered part of your normal data plan (even if you have unlimited web access here in the US).

So you will probably experience extra charges - significant charges since it charges by the kb (and most websites use a lot of kb when you connect to them). You won't know until you get the bill the next month. From personal experience I will tell you this is not a nice surprise!

You may want to check with your cell phone company.

Since the Iphone, Gphone, and Blackberry often have applications that continuously access the internet, you can get dinged with outrageous charges since most places outside the USA bill on Mb usage. There are horror stories of people getting multi thousand dollar charges just because they accessed the internet out of the country.

The most popular story right now is about Adam Savage (of Mythbusters) getting stung with an $11,000 bill from using a data card for about an hour in Canada.

When I travel I will be taking my old Nokia 6310 and just slipping in my Sim Card and just using phone service. Will not even have the battery in the Blackberry.

Not worth the chance.

The only places I have felt comfortable using the Iphone wifi is in the US territories. We weren't charged in Puerto Rico or St Thomas. Other places wifi was turned off.

Cheapest way for accessing the net is asking a crew member for an internet cafe.

I was hit with a large bill from sprint my last cruise for calls bouncing off the satellite in the Congo, while we were in the western caribbean. After sorting that out, and getting a reduced bill, I won't use the cellphone at all on a ship. I opt for the internet plan, and phone card in port. We leave the phone off while on the ship, except when we made calls, and kept it locked in the safe. Now that I have A BB Curve, the phone will be off the enitre cruise.

Archived