October Barbados to Panama

cruisingbarb

In her pictures on the blog, Pralientje is wearing a mustache, goatee, and hook for pirates night, so it is a bit difficult to tell, but that looks like her. And that is Capt. Sergey who was the Royal Clipper captain on our transatlantic trip. I thought he was really wonderful. I have some nice pictures of him from our trip. If I knew how to post an individual picture I'd post one, but I don't know how. How do you do it?

I will follow your post about the transatlantic trip as well, with jealousy. Sometime I'll be retired and hopefully able to do longer trips. but not yet ;) I am really looking forward to the two weeks plus three days in Panama.

Hi Harriet - I've started the promised new link for the October Flyer transatlantic and referenced this thread so others might choose to include you and John in their responses.

You asked about posting single pictures as I did recently. I discovered how somewhat by accident. Click on "Go Advanced" under the Quick Reply box. Under 'Additional Options' there is a button for 'Managing Attachments'. There are some size limits but with your picture editing skills that will be a breeze.

By the way, Captain Sergey was also our captain for both crossings, on the Clipper and later on the Royal. I agree that he was wonderful and would really enjoy being with him again. However, I don't expect we'll see him on the Flyer.

By the way, Captain Sergey was also our captain for both crossings, on the Clipper and later on the Royal. I agree that he was wonderful and would really enjoy being with him again. However, I don't expect we'll see him on the Flyer.

I believe Captain Sergey is on leave back home with his family now, and get the sense he will be returning to the Royal Clipper... but that isn't something I know for sure.

Hi All.....we are 'Lo' and Jan from Cape Cod and look forward to meeting you in Barbados. As I've reported in earlier posts, we will be boarding the Flyer in Cannes for a transatlantic crossing before arriving in Barbados. I may start a new thread looking for people on the crossing portion of our trip and will try to reference this thread in case anyone I find is also continuing on to Panama.

Harriet....you mentioned 'Pralientje' in an earlier posting. I'm pretty sure she was on board during our Star Clipper transatlantic in 2004.....we were all at the Captain's table for the final dinner....as I recall I think she is Dutch. I've attached a picture of that dinner. 'Pralientje' is sitting next to Captain Sergey on his right (Heidi is on his left)...we are in the foreground....She was an active passenger so I will check out her blog for the current transpacific trip.....her 66 days beats our 43 on the Flyer this fall and sounds really great.

Today I am in Cartagene, have plenty of internettime, and yes, it is me at the Captain's table. I have just updated my blog, since we were out of satellite reach since March 4. Thank you for reading my blog. Any comments/messages are welcome.

Take care.

Pralientje (indeed Dutch):D

Today I am in Cartagene, have plenty of internettime, and yes, it is me at the Captain's table. I have just updated my blog, since we were out of satellite reach since March 4. Thank you for reading my blog. Any comments/messages are welcome.

Take care.

Pralientje (indeed Dutch):D

I love your blog, and thank you so much for posting it. But I can't get my comments to show. Do I have to join it, or is there some other trick?

• 2 months later...
We have made our other reservations. Will go into Barbados early and stay 3 nights at the Pirate Inn. How could you pass up a place with that name!

We are only coming in a day early; get in Friday night the 29th. We are staying at the Silver Point Hotel on Silver Sands Beach in Christchurch. We stayed there for one night after our transatlantic crossing on the Royal Clipper last fall and loved it. It is off the beaten track, beautiful beach, and a very relaxing place to be. A little closer to the airport and further from the Star Flyer......

I looked up the Pirate Inn and it looks great as well.

I can't remember - are you getting off at Panama, or going on to Costa Rica?

Sure am looking forward to this trip!

• 2 months later...
We are really looking forward to this trip. DH just got a new video camera that does not use tape so can take movies. The old one hated the tropics.

We too are really looking forward to the trip. Lots of preparation before being away 6 weeks. We start in about a month when we board the Flyer in France.

Look forward to meeting you and your friends as well as Harriet and Geoff in Barbados. We will also see Pralientje who is booked from France on the transatlantic section. She plans to return home from Barbados.

I already have lots of pictures and some video from previous trips....but one can never have enough so I have borrowed a newer camera from my son and am now practicing with great results......of course Harriet is the 'queen' of photography as evidenced by her published shows so I look forward to some expert coaching.

• 3 weeks later...
of course Harriet is the 'queen' of photography as evidenced by her published shows so I look forward to some expert coaching.

My trick is to take hundreds of pictures, then pick the best ones. :) And then I edit them on the computer as well. So my expert coaching is, bring lots of storage space for a whole lot of digital pics!! And if you don't have a good editing program, get one. Then the only other problem is...... getting the time to get them done! My last show from the transatlantic trip is still not officially published (but it is really close!)

Thanks for the coaching. I plan to bring my little netbook computer for the explcit purpose of providing storage space for pictures. The camera I borrowed creates large files for each shot, not to mention the video so I can't imagine how many SD cards I would need. I probably won't try editing with the netbook, it doesn't really have the computing power for that......so maybe when we get home.....in spare time..??!!

We leave in 2 weeks and are really excited....see you in Barbados.

• 1 month later...

I bet you all are excited--almost time. I will be on the same trip in January on the Star Clipper. Please update us when you return--any highs or lows of the trip. Did you need any Visas-Columbia was the only one I wasn't real clear on after reading the state department site.

Have a WONDERFUL time!:D

I started this thread back in August 2009 because we were contemplating booking this cruise. We changed our mind and are now sailing in February from Florida through the Canal on Princess. I know it won't be the same as sailing on the Star Flyer but it made more sense to us economically plus we are traveling with another couple. But a part of me will be on the SF as you cruise through the Canal. So would also love to hear all about it when you return. Have a great time.

We're spending a couple of days in Barbados so we're leaving tomorrow, THURSDAY.

We're leaving Friday - early. (but arriving late....:() See you in Barbados maybe... we are at the Silver Point Hotel on Silver Sands Beach.

:):):)

Just got back from the Cannes to Barbados trip on the Flyer. We did get into Barbados on October 31st (Sunday), right on schedule. The last three days we did have heavy rain for 24 hours a day, we had to slow down because we would have been getting to close to Tomas. Did the most sailing in many, many years. Airport was closed on Sunday and when checking in my flight to London was cancelled, but was put on an earlier flight. The ship is in very good condition. Captain Mariusz and his crew did a wonderful job. About 70 passengers, good mix of all nationalities. Ship will have 146 passengers on next trip from Barbados to Panama. Too many to my taste. Not sure how many of those 140 passengers (6 were staying on), who were supposed to arrive, did make it. I heard there were plans of staying over one night in Barbados. Have no idea yet if this happened. When I have finished my blog will let you know where to find it. For all of you who are going, enjoy it to the max. Take care, Pralientje

• 2 weeks later...
Just got back from the Cannes to Barbados trip on the Flyer. We did get into Barbados on October 31st (Sunday), right on schedule. The last three days we did have heavy rain for 24 hours a day, we had to slow down because we would have been getting to close to Tomas. Did the most sailing in many, many years. Airport was closed on Sunday and when checking in my flight to London was cancelled, but was put on an earlier flight. The ship is in very good condition. Captain Mariusz and his crew did a wonderful job. About 70 passengers, good mix of all nationalities. Ship will have 146 passengers on next trip from Barbados to Panama. Too many to my taste. Not sure how many of those 140 passengers (6 were staying on), who were supposed to arrive, did make it. I heard there were plans of staying over one night in Barbados. Have no idea yet if this happened. When I have finished my blog will let you know where to find it. For all of you who are going, enjoy it to the max. Take care, Pralientje

All passengers did make it, although some boarded late, and one poor couple never got their luggage. The trip, overall, was great. Transit through the canal was wonderful. More details later. I am still in Panama, returning to the US tomorrow.

Going through the hurricane in Barbados was - I must admit - an adventure I didn't expect!

I bet you all are excited--almost time. I will be on the same trip in January on the Star Clipper. Please update us when you return--any highs or lows of the trip. Did you need any Visas-Columbia was the only one I wasn't real clear on after reading the state department site.

Have a WONDERFUL time!:D

No visas required in Cartegena. It is a beautiful city.

Archived