Westerdam Cruise Review

mcduck

Great review!! We are sailing on the Westerdam 3/27 (I hope!) My Mother-in-law who is sailing with us (a family cruise of 11!) is due for knee replacement surgery eight weeks before we sail!! I am getting concerned about the size of the ship. We have four balcony cabins at the front of the ship. Is this going to be too much walking for my Mother-in-law? I need everyone's prayers that we don't have to cancel!!:(

MC DUCK-Great review. Very helpful. We will be cruising in March and have booked 5035. Do you know if the cabin has the same lay out as yours? It looks like the elevators are close by which is important to me because I'm limited in my walking. How much is involved, walking wise, to the dining room? Is there anything obstructing the view when you look down from your balcony? What deck do you usually get off when you come into port? What deck did you have to go to for lifeboat drill? I have to plan ahead because I can't do the steps.

Motokins-Hi there. We are on the same cruise. I'm traveling with my brother, his girlfriend, my sister, husband and 2 kids and my hubby. We're from Maryland. I was born in your state at Ft. Leonard Wood. Have you met anyone else going on this cruise on these boards?

Hey MC,

Really looking forward to cruise. Traveling with my husband and 2 teens, trying to get mom to go. My mother born in rolla, Mo. very close to Fort Leonard Wood. I live in Columbia, MO. Great sm. city.

Can use elevators for Port Calls. May run slower due to traffic, but if can't do steps. I have sailed on Maasdam and don't recall which deck you disembark from but it is main deck on all ships. Can call tour agent or Holland for this info. Life Boat drills on another deck I Believe. Usualy the deck under where life boats are handing. During drill they are right above your head. Don't remember if u can use elevators during drill or not. Think u can. Smart to plan ahead! If and when ship has to tender (life boats or other boats ferrying passengers to and from a docked position to port) there are a few steps into these boats, but you are assisted.

Have not checked for Westerdam Roll Call very busy, but will soon.

This is going to be a great cruise! Now that holidays are past I can let myself get excited. Wish you a wonderful cruise!

Happy Cruising,

Motokins

MCDUCK-Good information. Thank you!

DISNEY-Have had 2 knee replacements. Know how mom feels. Tell mom that she can request a curtesy wheelchair to get her on and off the ship. Standing in lines is a real killer when you start and end the cruise. If the walk to get off the ship when we're in port is long again ask for a wheel chair. When you get into port inquire if there is trams/golf cart transports off the pier. Find out where your lifeboat station is and get there early using the elevators if on another deck. Arrange for a chair for mom to sit. It will be strange with the crowd but mom's comfort is important. If need be get mom's doctor to write a note stating that she can not tolerate any long term standing or walking and will need accomdations. Tell mom the hot pools will make her feel so much better. Bad knees are miserable but she won't feel any better at home.

Hey Missouri-Looking forward to our cruise. How old are your teens? My nephews Danny-17 and Michael -12 are looking to meet up with some other kids. I did do a posting roll call and have only heard from one person.

Pat

Our teens are 18 & soon to be 16. There is plenty to do on these ships. Our teens have cruised with us twice before. Between the pools & chillin', exploring the ship, sports on deck, and the port activities they will have plenty to do. Looking forward to meeting your crew.

Counting down the days,

Motokins

Disnyfan83, your mother-in-law should be OK for the trip. Depending on her general health etc she should be walking with a cane by that point. One thing she will/should not do is to use the tenders. There is too much of a chance of falling there with the seas movement. You might want to use the wheelchair service for embarkation and debarkation. You might need to arrange that with HAL. She will likely be doing home exercise program herself at 8 weeks out. Walking long distances will possibly be a problem but not if she plans it out with rest stops along the way. There are three elevator banks on the Westerdam so she can elevator up and down.

Have you tried to get a handicapped cabin? That might be more centrally located. Also might see if you need a wheelchair rental which you can decide closer to the date by how she is doing at that point. She probably won't be tearing up the dance floor but she can certainly have a wonderful time! Hopefully she has one of those good Orthos in Charlotte. Don't know where you are from in NC but there are many good MD's in the Carolina's.

Archived