Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

I would suggest posting a new thread or doing a search to find parking options. Parking at the port is the most secure and is $15/night. No one can get into the port without showing ID and explaining what they are doing there so this is why it is the most secure. It's also the most convenient.

Yikes! At this rate it would've been cheaper to take a more expensive cruise out of a closer port where I had a friend to drop me off & keep my car! But FTL and Miami are the only two FL ports where I don't have anyone. Oh well, it's done now. I'm on a 6 nighter on the Freedom, that's $90 for port parking. Definitely will be looking at other options. Thanks for all your help!

Edited by maxandmolly

Thanks Royal Cruz,

Are they readily available at the pier or do we have to call and reserve one in advance before our trip?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Tigers2425

The taxis will be lined up waiting for customers outside the terminal.

Yikes! At this rate it would've been cheaper to take a more expensive cruise out of a closer port where I had a friend to drop me off & keep my car! But FTL and Miami are the only two FL ports where I don't have anyone. Oh well, it's done now. I'm on a 6 nighter on the Freedom, that's $90 for port parking. Definitely will be looking at other options. Thanks for all your help!

Check out Park n Go and Park n Fly, but please try to find some reviews before you decide. These should be about half the price of port parking and I believe they shuttle you to and from your terminal at no extra charge. The security isn't as tight as the port but it should be fine. Does that sound better?

Check out Park n Go and Park n Fly, but please try to find some reviews before you decide. These should be about half the price of port parking and I believe they shuttle you to and from your terminal at no extra charge. The security isn't as tight as the port but it should be fine. Does that sound better?

Much. ;) Thanks for all your help.

The CVS at Beach Place sells beer and wine. It is about 2-3 blocks away. There might be a bigger selection at Plaza Liquors on Las Olas Blvd before the bridge. I would highly recommend Casablanca Cafe next to the hotel...they serve gourmet food in a historic home with a beach view, and the piano bar there is fun (how great is that?!?). If you want fine dining, Steak 954 in the W and Via Luna in the Ritz Carlton are good. In Beach Place, Lulu's Bait Shack has good casual seafood. Sonic just opened there too and of course there is a Hooters. Just past there is H2O which is good. There are a bunch of cafes after that, mostly not too good. Casa Del Mar and Spazio have had some good reviews but I tried them both and have not had good experiences. Keep going and on the west side (across the street) of the Courtyard Marriott is Coconuts, highly recommended, on a marina. If you keep walking, you will find Bahia Cabana. It's super casual, on a marina. The food isn't special but the fried fish is always good and it's just a fun place to go. On weekends they have bands or DJ at dinnertime. This is over a mile from the hotel but it's a nice area for a stroll.

Thank you so much for your response. I really appreciate all the effort that you put in to answering questions and giving recommendations. YOU ROCK!!!:)

Hi all,

My first time cruising out of Fort Lauderdale. Just 2 adults, mid-40's with no health issues aside from a tendency to overpack, lol. A co-worker recommends a taxi from airport to pier rather than a shuttle - said it's cheaper. Would you all agree? Any idea on a cost/time? Rough estimate is fine, not looking for anything exact, just want to make sure taxi driver doesn't try to pad the trip/fare by taking us on a 2 hour tour of the city.

Thanks,

Robin

That's too funny! Our taxi driver tried to rip us off last year when leaving Port Everglades. He tried to pretend he got lost taking us to our hotel (we stayed 1 night post cruise) and it added an extra $5 to the meter. I told him I knew he wasn't going to charge us for the time he "got lost". He didn't say anything and I subtracted the $5, gave a tip and moved right along into our hotel. Our hotel was 3 miles from the port and he tried charging us $26 before tip! (We could see the hotel from the exit ramp on the road and he turned right instead of turning left--what an idiot! Unfortunately for him, he wasn't messing with one either)

That's too funny! Our taxi driver tried to rip us off last year when leaving Port Everglades. He tried to pretend he got lost taking us to our hotel (we stayed 1 night post cruise) and it added an extra $5 to the meter. I told him I knew he wasn't going to charge us for the time he "got lost". He didn't say anything and I subtracted the $5, gave a tip and moved right along into our hotel. Our hotel was 3 miles from the port and he tried charging us $26 before tip! (We could see the hotel from the exit ramp on the road and he turned right instead of turning left--what an idiot! Unfortunately for him, he wasn't messing with one either)

Don't know where you stayed but from Embassy Suites to the port the fare is about max $12 + tip so I assume reverse would be true. Think you probably should have deducted more than $5 :eek:

Edited by truffles2

Don't know where you stayed but from Embassy Suites to the port the fare is about max $12 + tip so I assume reverse would be true. Think you probably should have deducted more than $5 :eek:

If she stayed near I-95 and State Rd 84 (3 miles from port and can see from the exit) it should have cost about $12. If she stayed by Griffin Rd that is 5-6 miles and Stirling Rd is 7-8 miles from port, that would cost around $20.

I deducted $5 because I looked at the meter and saw what it was when we got to the end of the exit ramp. The $5 is what was added on from the time he turned right, until I called him out and told him he went the wrong way and then he decided to turn around and go back.

We stayed at Hilton by the airport (can't remember which road), because they had free shuttle service to the airport. Wasn't our favorite hotel by any means, so we will skip that one next year when we leave out of FLL.

Your explanation sounds like you nailed it. Frankly, I am quite suspicious of the cab drivers and porters in FLL. Too many bad experiences and consequently we avoid that port if possible...

Via Taxi - it cost us $25 to get from the port to the airport last month, the meter on the cab read $18, the driver said that the meter doesnt include the surcharges ...... ????

Hi all- This will be my first time sailing from Port of Miami. We are flying into FLL (due to much lower fares combined with use of points to book free tix on SW). It appears that the SAS shuttle from FLL to Miami is a very good choice ($15pp each way). I am wondering, though, about whether to stay in FLL the night we arrive, then shuttle to POM in the morning (lower price for hotel), or stay closer to the POM to avoid the morning-of-departure shuttle (more expensive hotel, but view of port, plus quick trip over in the morning).

Generally, we are looking for good value, access to restaurant (kid-friendly), maybe a shop for snacks/toiletries/drinks.

Thoughts?

TIA

Hampton Inn on Stirling Rd. is where we stay when flying into FLL and sailing out of Miami. They have a airport shuttle that will pick you up...Then we get a shuttle from Hampton Inn to the port on SAS. That is what we are doing again Jan. 2013...

Tinkerbell, we may do something similar, since we're flying into FLL but sailing from POM. Was the Hampton Inn close to any restaurants or stores for snacks? And have you been pleased with SAS? That's the shuttle I'm looking at for our December cruise.

Hi,

DH and I are coming off the Silhouette on Sunday, February 3rd. Our flight isn't until 8pm. We're looking for a mall or somewhere to kill some time before we meet some friends who are driving down from Melbourne. Then we'd like to find a nice restaurant for lunch where we can spend some time chatting for the afternoon. We will not have a car because our friends will be dropping us at the airport. Although, now that I think of it, how easy would it be to rent a car for the day and what would be involved getting the car? :confused:

Any information or help would be greatly appreciated. :D

Thanks and Aloha,

njaloha

Just thought we'd share this as we're looking at driving and then staying in the Lauderdale area after the cruise. The hotels north of the port that offer free parking while on the cruise seem to be a little higher priced. The Hilton Garden Inn in Dania has the free parking along with shuttle service to the port.

http://hiltongardeninn.hilton.com/en/gi/hotels/index.jhtml?ctyhocn=FLLFHGI

There are plenty of other choices too, but thought we'd provide this for anyone driving and looking at good parking options. If anyone has any other options close to the port we'd appreciate hearing about them.

Your explanation sounds like you nailed it. Frankly, I am quite suspicious of the cab drivers and porters in FLL. Too many bad experiences and consequently we avoid that port if possible...

The porters and cabs are fine here...this has to be one of the easiest places, the airport and cruiseport are so close, many hotels have free shuttles to/from....air and sea is a great off site parking deal with shuttle service..

I am amazed....Fort Lauderdale has to be the easiest to/from port of any of them LOL

I do prefer the Port of Miami for Carnival boarding but getting there is always easier here in Lauderdale IMHO

Just thought we'd share this as we're looking at driving and then staying in the Lauderdale area after the cruise. The hotels north of the port that offer free parking while on the cruise seem to be a little higher priced. The Hilton Garden Inn in Dania has the free parking along with shuttle service to the port.

http://hiltongardeninn.hilton.com/en/gi/hotels/index.jhtml?ctyhocn=FLLFHGI

There are plenty of other choices too, but thought we'd provide this for anyone driving and looking at good parking options. If anyone has any other options close to the port we'd appreciate hearing about them.

Perhaps that is because the area "north of the port" is more interesting, is near the water taxi (17th Causeway) , which leads to the beach, Las Olas etc....some nice places to eat around there too

North of the Port is also mostly on the Free Trolley line too which takes you to the beach

Dania is OK, but more suburban, it is fine for an overnight but IF you want to sightsee/go to beach you might reconsider unless you rent a car

hth (and yes I live here)