Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

I need to book a hotel for 1 night pre-cruise in November. My choices using starpoints are Sheraton cruise-port, sheraton plantation, sheraton cypress and westin ft lauderdale beach. Which one would you recommend? Thanks in advance for you advice.

I need to book a hotel for 1 night pre-cruise in November. My choices using starpoints are Sheraton cruise-port, sheraton plantation, sheraton cypress and westin ft lauderdale beach. Which one would you recommend? Thanks in advance for you advice.

The Westin Ft Lauderdale Beach. Great location across street from beach. On bus and Sun Trolley route, great restaurant in hotel and close to others. Short walk to Beachplace, CVS and other shops. We have walked from there to Galleria Mall but a short ride on bus.

My ship docks at 7 am. Will there be taxis available at the pier at that hour?

I understand cab fare from the pier to Fort Lauderdale airport is about $15. If that is correct it would ber cheaper than the cruise line's transfer. Is that correct?

Many thanks.

My ship docks at 7 am. Will there be taxis available at the pier at that hour?

I understand cab fare from the pier to Fort Lauderdale airport is about $15. If that is correct it would ber cheaper than the cruise line's transfer. Is that correct?

Many thanks.

Yes there will be cabs readily available after the ship docks. Also the cab is a much better deal than the ship transfers as the fare is in the $12 to $15 range.

Hello. There will be 4 of us staying at the Fairfield Inn in Daria Beach, FL the night before our cruise.

Has anyone ever stayed there? Are there restaurants within walking distance to the hotel?

Also, I've been glancing at this thread and I think I saw where it's approx $20-$25 for a taxi ride from the pier to the airport. Is this correct? Is that per person or per taxi?

Thank you for your help. :)

We just cruised out of Ft Lauderdale last month. Taxi from port to airport was $12.50 plus tip total. It is per taxi not per person.

Looking for a hotel recommendation for two nights pre-cruise for myself (46), DH (43) and DD (11). I would like to avoid renting a car, if possible. I’m looking for an inexpensive or moderately priced hotel that is family-friendly, safe, and not far from the airport or port and preferably one that is within walking distance or a short cab ride to things for us to do as a family prior to the cruise. My parents (both 70) will also stay at the hotel, but for only one night pre-cruise, in case that makes a difference. Also, what is the best way to get from the hotel to the port? Thank you.

Looking for a hotel recommendation for two nights pre-cruise for myself (46), DH (43) and DD (11). I would like to avoid renting a car, if possible. I’m looking for an inexpensive or moderately priced hotel that is family-friendly, safe, and not far from the airport or port and preferably one that is within walking distance or a short cab ride to things for us to do as a family prior to the cruise. My parents (both 70) will also stay at the hotel, but for only one night pre-cruise, in case that makes a difference. Also, what is the best way to get from the hotel to the port? Thank you

My first choice naturally would be a beach hotel, however for a moderately priced hotel I would prefer the 17th. st area Hyatt Place North. Close to restaurants, shops,grocery store and total wine store. About a $12 dollar ride to the port. Also offers a free shuttle from the airport. Depending on the dates of travel, there is the Sun Trolley that is just a short walk to board that will take you to the beach area or the Galleria Mall. There is a city bus#40 that will do the same. There are other moderately priced hotels in the area including Holiday Inn Express and Extended Stay America. The Renaissance and Embassy Suites are also in this area which is very popular with cruisers. Depending on your dates of travel www.valutrips has some very good rates for this Hyatt.

My first choice naturally would be a beach hotel, however for a moderately priced hotel I would prefer the 17th. st area Hyatt Place North. Close to restaurants, shops,grocery store and total wine store. About a $12 dollar ride to the port. Also offers a free shuttle from the airport.

Is that the Hyatt Place Fort Lauderdale Airport and Cruise Port at 91 SW 18th Ave? I ask because there's another Hyatt Place on 17th; I booked the former and hope I booked the right one!

The one on SW 18th is also within walking distance of a Kmart and BJ's - if you're a member, they're a great place to pick up some reasonably placed wine.

Need a hotel suggestion near the beach, some nightlife and good restaurants. We are staying two nights pre cruise dec 28-30, I got a good rate on the best western Oceanside- is that a good hotel? Please help, I am sooo confused. Thanks

BW Oceanside gets good reviews. It's about a half block from the beach. Good restaurants nearby are 3030 (expensive/upscale) and Bahia Cabana (inexpensive and casual fun, has entertainment or DJ most nights). It's almost a mile walk to the main beach entertainment zone for nightlife and other restaurants. It should be fine. Courtyard, Bahia Mar, Westin, and Alhambra are a little more central and have good prices.

Edited by royalcruz

Hello. There will be 4 of us staying at the Fairfield Inn in Daria Beach, FL the night before our cruise.

Has anyone ever stayed there? Are there restaurants within walking distance to the hotel?

Also, I've been glancing at this thread and I think I saw where it's approx $20-$25 for a taxi ride from the pier to the airport. Is this correct? Is that per person or per taxi?

Thank you for your help. :)

Fairfield is not in an area that you would walk around and go to restaurants really. Rustic Inn is a reasonable walking distance and these are only a very short cab ride away:

My Big Fat Greek Restaurant, The Field (I love it there), Tropical Acres, and Royal India.

The taxi prices that you asked about are per taxi.

I'm sailing on the Oasis Dec. 1st. Looking for a Ft. Lauderdale hotel where we can leave the car until the 8th. Also looking for a good shuttle service for before and after the cruise.

Hampton Inns, Hyatt Places, and Sleep Inn have cruise parking and shuttles. Services often change and sometimes there is a charge, so check with the hotels directly.

I'm looking at either Hyatt Plaza or Hilton Ft. Lauderdale Airport. Both have shuttles from the airport. Both are the same price.

What are the differences between them?

Are either near a store at which we can pick up some wine to take on board?

Thanks.

There is nothing around Hilton and the reviews haven't been too good lately. The hotel is scheduled to be torn down soon for airport construction, so don't expect it to get any better.

Absolutely the Westin Ft Laud beach. It's in the most fun area and you really need a car to get anywhere around at the others.

Looking for a hotel recommendation for two nights pre-cruise for myself (46), DH (43) and DD (11). I would like to avoid renting a car, if possible. I’m looking for an inexpensive or moderately priced hotel that is family-friendly, safe, and not far from the airport or port and preferably one that is within walking distance or a short cab ride to things for us to do as a family prior to the cruise. My parents (both 70) will also stay at the hotel, but for only one night pre-cruise, in case that makes a difference. Also, what is the best way to get from the hotel to the port? Thank you.

For 2 nights it is good to stay at the beach. Bahia Mar has good prices and a family friendly pool. If you prefer to be in the suburbs, Hampton Inn south FLL, Hyatt Place south FLL, and LaQuinta Hollywood are near Oakwood Plaza and there are family friendly restaurants, cinema, and arcade. Your daughter might also enjoy Boomers, a very short cab ride away. The best way to get to the port is by taxi if you don't want to use the shuttles that these hotels offer. The beach hotels do not have shuttles.

Is that the Hyatt Place Fort Lauderdale Airport and Cruise Port at 91 SW 18th Ave? I ask because there's another Hyatt Place on 17th; I booked the former and hope I booked the right one!

The one on SW 18th is also within walking distance of a Kmart and BJ's - if you're a member, they're a great place to pick up some reasonably placed wine.

You really intended to book the Hyatt Place Convention Center on SE 10th Ave., near SE 17th St and the port. But if you want to be near Kmart and BJs you booked the right one, on SW 18th Ave in Dania.

No....the one that is off of 17th street has this address:

Hyatt Place Fort Lauderdale 17th Street Convention Center

1851 SE 10th Ave (Harbor Shops Drive West)

Fort Lauderdale, FL 33316, USA

the one you booked at is over by the airport in Dania....you'd probably like the Convention Center better...

OOPS seems Royal and I were posting at the same time!!

Edited by megr1125

Fairfield is not in an area that you would walk around and go to restaurants really. Rustic Inn is a reasonable walking distance and these are only a very short cab ride away:

My Big Fat Greek Restaurant, The Field (I love it there), Tropical Acres, and Royal India.

The taxi prices that you asked about are per taxi.

Thank you. Do you know if the Fairfield Inn is a nice hotel? We will be arriving late afternoon and will probably just relax for a while, swim in the pool and then go to dinner. The hotel said they have free shuttle service to local places - including restaurants.

This is only our 2nd time going to FLL the day before. The last time we stayed at the Rodeway Inn. Won't do that again. I thought it was nasty. You also needed a car to go anywhere. Thankfully some people we were cruising with had rented a car.

Thank all of you for the info on the taxis. We will definitely be taking a taxi to the airport. The ship's shuttle service is WAY too expensive (for the short distance it is to the airport).

Thank you. Do you know if the Fairfield Inn is a nice hotel? We will be arriving late afternoon and will probably just relax for a while, swim in the pool and then go to dinner. The hotel said they have free shuttle service to local places - including restaurants.

This is only our 2nd time going to FLL the day before. The last time we stayed at the Rodeway Inn. Won't do that again. I thought it was nasty. You also needed a car to go anywhere. Thankfully some people we were cruising with had rented a car.

Thank all of you for the info on the taxis. We will definitely be taking a taxi to the airport. The ship's shuttle service is WAY too expensive (for the short distance it is to the airport).

Reviews for the hotel are good. I only go to the airport hotels for events and Fairfield isn't that kind of hotel so I don't know more about it, sorry. I'm sure that it will be nicer than the Rodeway!

Any suggestions for transportation to the Port from Hyatt Place Fort Lauderdale Airport North? Or are there taxi's waiting outside? There will be eight of us who need a ride to the Port and last time we were there it was complimentary, but we ended up waiting quite a while for the driver to pack us up and take us there, even though we were on the list. I figured it would be easier (and maybe cheaper since there's now a charge) to just grab a cab over, plus we can go on our own schedule, not theirs.