DO NOT GO TO BUDDYS in PROGRESSO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MommyMonster

We just returned last Thursday from Triumph. We had been to Buddy's before and had a great time, so we went this time. Extremely disappointed with the food this time, then when the bill arrives we were charged a 20% tax. There is no tax in Progresso. When I asked about it the waiter told me it was a service tax for the bartender. I overheard the table next to us then question their waiter about the "tax" and he explained it as his "gratuity" I am all about tipping and paying for good service, however they should not call it a tax if it is not. This waiter went on to tell me that that 20% only went to the bartender and included nothing for him. His story was very different from the other waiters. I was sad to learn that Buddy's had changed owners and that it had really changed so much.

• 3 weeks later...

We also just came from Buddy's and did not have the same experience.

We sat on the beach and had great service and no "gratuity/tax" added.

We did get bombarded by solicitors of all sorts on the beach. It made what would have been a relaxing day a complete disappointment. We figured we got approached approx 70 times in 3 hours. Yes! Every 2 to 3 minutes. This was the same in May 2013 and now we will never go back to the beach there as long as this continues.

Next. Buddy is Mexican National owned for over 15 years. The American you see there out front is Gene. He is the promoter for the business and does not own it. I questioned him for several minutes while there on Oct 24, 2013. He went back to the states for awhile and now is back.

Michael.........

After reading the bad reviews on this thread, I decided to see for myself as I am not one to believe everything I read. And I am glad we did!

My husband and I had the best service.

We sat along the sidewalk so we could people watch and catch a breeze. We had Shrimp Tacos along with the complimentary chips and salsa. The beers were ice cold and the FREE Tequila shot drink(not pure Tequila, but come on it's free) was great

Although you had peddlers trying to sell you things a kind "no thank you" or "Gracias, no" and they left you alone.

Also, The owner who is not Buddy was really great! Found out he is from Texas and ex-military. He was happy to chat it up with the customers and ensure that everyone was enjoying their time.

After reading the bad reviews on this thread, I decided to see for myself as I am not one to believe everything I read. And I am glad we did!

My husband and I had the best service.

We sat along the sidewalk so we could people watch and catch a breeze. We had Shrimp Tacos along with the complimentary chips and salsa. The beers were ice cold and the FREE Tequila shot drink(not pure Tequila, but come on it's free) was great

Although you had peddlers trying to sell you things a kind "no thank you" or "Gracias, no" and they left you alone.

Also, The owner who is not Buddy was really great! Found out he is from Texas and ex-military. He was happy to chat it up with the customers and ensure that everyone was enjoying their time.

The owner is not American. Gene is the American out front that just promotes the business for it's Mexican owner. I talked with Gene extensively. His Dad is from Tyler and he is from Florida. Unless he was filling us with a line of crap.

Young guy. Clean cut. Out from with a microphone inviting everyone to go to Buddys and enjoy the good food, drinks with alcohol and clean baths??

Yes, that is the same guy. He told us he was from Texas.

Anyways, that does not take away from the great time and service we had at Buddy's.

Glad you also had great service!

I agree.

Now that I think about my initial conversation with him he did say he was from Texas. And since I'm from Texas I started to question him more and thats when he said some of his family lived in Tyler including his Dad, but he was from Florida originally.

I asked him if he owned Buddy's because I too was under the assumption from going there in the past that he did own it. My reason for questioning him was when we went in May he wasn't there.

I asked the bartender in May about where the American owner was? They responded it was Mexican owned. When I related this to Gene, he did say that it has been Mexican owned for 15 years and the lady behind the bar that day was the owner. He was just the promoter to get us Americans to patronize the business. And that most people did indeed think he was the owner.

Michael..........

Archived