Carnival-Portland Tours

cruisetmc

Has anyone taken the Best of Portland & Kennkunkport tour? It looks like an interesting seaside town.

They also list a new tour Mt. Washington & Cog Railway but this is a 9 hour tour so that would be it for this port. So that would be it for this port.

Any information would be appreciated.

Has anyone taken the Best of Portland & Kennkunkport tour? It looks like an interesting seaside town.

They also list a new tour Mt. Washington & Cog Railway but this is a 9 hour tour so that would be it for this port. So that would be it for this port.

Any information would be appreciated.

Cruisetmc, can't tell you about the tour itself, but I can tell you about this wonderful city that I live in. The tour of Portland would probably include a ride up the Eastern Promenade that overlooks the many islands in Casco Bay. It amazes me at times that I live in such a wonderful place with these views. It also might include a quick visit to Henry Wadworth Longfellow's birth home, a tour of the old port shopping district and a visit to Portland Head Lighthouse which was commissioned by George Washington. In Kennebunk you'll probably ride by Walker's Point which is the summer home of George and Barbara Bush. The Kennebunks have many quaint New England style shops. This area is about 40 minutes south of the docks.

As for Mt Washington and the Cog Railway...Mt Washington is about and hour and 15 minute drive (depending on traffic) from the port. Mt Washington is the highest peak in the Northeast and has some of the worst weather, especially during winter. The cog railway, which I have yet to do, ascends the mountain to the top. Check out this SITE for info. Here is another interesting site with webcams. Hope this helps.

Several tablemates did the Kennenbunkport tour you mentioned and foudn their time there way too short... said they would go independently if they went back.. We stayed in Portland, did a short trolley tour, rode the railway, did a cruise of Casco Bay and had an awesome lobster lunch (lots of great restaurants near the dock).. very neat city..

My favorite spot to eat in Portland, especially for sea food is Dimillos, down on the waterfront. If you are wanting fresh shelled lobster to take on board to eat later, by the pound, I get it at Baily`s lobster pound out at Pine Point in Scarboro. Plenty of claw and tail meat. When we go home to see the kids and grandchildren, the first things I get is my fresh clams and then lobster. Nothing compares with Maine seafood. that is one thing they don`t have here in Fl. Maine gulf shrimp and scallops are nice and tasty also. the best you will find anywhere. Making me home sick for seafood.

Originally from So. Portland.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived