Rent car at Merida airport or downtown?? Going to Uxmal!

Charwey

Hey all! Less than a week left! Since Carnival changed our port of call, I'm scrambling to make plans.

My hubby and I really want to see Uxmal on our own, so we're wanting to rent a car. You can rent cars in Merida through Orbitz, Priceline, etc. with major companies like Avis, Hertz, or Budget. My question is, should I rent a car at the Merida airport or in downtown Merida (around calle 60?). What is easiest and fastest you think? I hear Merida is extremely congested and hard to get around - is this true?

Is there a shuttle or bus that will even take us to the airport?

If we have any extra time, I would like to walk and tour Merida a bit.. my husband has never been to Mexico, so I think he'd love to experience the city.

Any advice is appreciated!!

-Heidi-

Not sure how long you will be ashore, but a taxi to the Fiesta Americana hotel in Merida is $25 ea way and about 30 - 40 minutes ea way. Then about 1:10 hours to Uxmal. Easy drive. Roads are good and not crowded.

REMEMBER: US Auto Insurance is not good in Mexico, so figure an additional $25 per day for insurance and a sizeable depost. I've used Avis and the cars are fine.

Hey hdawson! I also sent a personal e-mail to your aol account, so I apologize for bugging you!

Would the AutoProgreso bus get us close enough to the Fiesta Americana hotel? Isn't that on the Paseo Montenejo?

We'd like to save money when and where ever we can!

Archived