Coming to Maine and you don't like Lobster?

Hooked on cruisin'

I am native to Portland and have seen some of the ships this summer at the pier. All the cruise passengers walking around perhaps going to eat some Maine Lobster that everyone raves about. I got to thinking, what if they don't like lobster,(yes, I'll admit...I don't care for lobster) what could they eat that is "native" to Maine. We have a sandwich, sub, hoagie whatever you may call it that we call "An Italian". It is a subroll with ham,cheese,pickle,tomato,green pepper,black olives and onions. There are many variations off the traditional one such as a tuna italian, a turkey italian etc.

One store which sells them and actually claims to be home of The Original Italian is Amato's. It is in walking distance from the pier. (Take a right out of the pier area and go up India street. It is on the right.)

We pick up Italian sandwiches for a quick lunch, or for supper, even bring them on a picnic.....most local variety stores sell them.

To order just step up to the counter and say "I'll have a regular Italian" You will get all the ingredients listed above. Once the sandwich is made they will bring it over to the paper and before they wrap it they will say to you....and it will come quick..."salt pepper and oil?" If you plan on eating it soon say yes, otherwise the bread may get soggy from the oil.

Funny story:

I was in Florida attending a medical conference with two other native Portlanders. We were in the elevator with other medical professionals at The Peabody Hotel one evening and I was so hungry I stated "Oh, I'm dying for an Italian right now!" Right after I said it, I realized how it sounded. Good grief!

Archived