Dzibilchitun on our own

kmmom

Hi, our family of 4 -2 teen daughters, will be in progresso in about a week. I would like to avoid the excursion route due to save money and have more freedom but I'm a little nervous. We'll be in port from 7 til 4 and would like to do the double decker bus, visit Dzibilchitun and check out a bit of the market. I remember reading some tips on this but cannot find it again:eek:. Is a private taxi the best route to get to these ruins and what would it cost? How much time should we allow there and still have time to check out Progresso a bit? I know you take the shuttle to the end of the pier-then what?

Not interested in serious shopping, just get the feel of the place. How about restaurants-it's our first time out of the country, other than the Bahamas-is all the food safe-don't want any montezuma's revenge!!

Any suggestions so that I won't look like an idiot tourist waiting to get taken would be appreciated. We're saving the beach for Cozumel.

Try the whole deep fried snapper at Le Saint Bonnet on the Malecon. (sea side street) OUTSTANDING. Fish is as fresh as it gets. In all my visits to the Yucatan State, including small rural towns, have never been sick. You think they themselves want to be sick?

Hi, our family of 4 -2 teen daughters, will be in progresso in about a week. I would like to avoid the excursion route due to save money and have more freedom but I'm a little nervous. We'll be in port from 7 til 4 and would like to do the double decker bus, visit Dzibilchitun and check out a bit of the market. I remember reading some tips on this but cannot find it again:eek:. Is a private taxi the best route to get to these ruins and what would it cost? How much time should we allow there and still have time to check out Progresso a bit? I know you take the shuttle to the end of the pier-then what?

Not interested in serious shopping, just get the feel of the place. How about restaurants-it's our first time out of the country, other than the Bahamas-is all the food safe-don't want any montezuma's revenge!!

Any suggestions so that I won't look like an idiot tourist waiting to get taken would be appreciated. We're saving the beach for Cozumel.

Dzibilchaltun ruins is a 3 to 4 hrs tour. You have two options: first by autoprogreso, this company is the one that provides the free shuttle bus service from the pier to downtown Progreso, it cost US$29 per pax and it starts the tour around 9.30 to 10 am, you can contact them through their web site or right at the pier. Second is by taxi, you can take the cab right at the pier, it cost US$50 round trip PER CAR and it is only transportation, you have to pay the entrance fee at the Ruins (US$6 per pax), the taxi service start and finish at the pier, you can ask them to drop you off at Casa de la Cultura in Progreso, where you can get the double deck bus tour (40 to 50 mins ride for US$2 or US$3 per pax). An extra option is to rent a car right at the pier, rental provides the road tips and maps. Food is good at the restaurants, if you feel nervous about food try to avoid the spicy sauces nor hot peppers. Le Saint Bonet is a good choice though. Hope it helps.

Archived