Our Day in Progresso

First I'll say that I cruise for the whole experience. If I wanted to "travel" I'd do it another way. I really don't consider 6-8 hours in a port "going to Mexico". So, my expectations may be far different than most. I'm not interested in the ruins as I would want to spend much more time than was allotted by our short time in port. We had a snorkel exursion booked in Cozumel so Progresso was to a be a "nice, relaxing day on the beach". And, that's exactly what we got. We loved our day in Progresso. We went to one of the "beach/bar restaurants" El Mirador, had a delicious, inexpenive lunch, had Cuervo for $2.50 a shot, went to the beach, had some more shots and margaritas and buckets of beer, etc.:D

Yes, the vendors are everywhere hawking cheap trinkets, jewelry and such. For awhile I think I was saying "No, gracias" about every five minutes. But, a simple "no" sent them on their way. And, I DID buy some trinkets. I can't resist the children and bought several $2 necklaces, a wooden snake, a silver necklace and bracelett. I also paid $3 for a dance and a poem from Edward and gave a little old lady $2 for reminding us to keep our shoes on by showing us a piece of broken beer bottle that she carried around. She hugged and kissed us and blessed us. I wish I had taken a picture.

It was a great day, just what we were looking for!

First I'll say that I cruise for the ing us to keep our shoes on by showing us a piece of broken beer bottle that she carried around. She hugged and kissed us and blessed us. I wish I had taken a picture.

It was a great day, just what we were looking for!

Thanks for your information...seems just what I am looking to do there too...by the way, I absolutely LOVE your little saying down by your picture!!:D:D

our cruise went to progresso instead of coz also. i loved it. we had planne a beach break in coz but ended up doing a combo ruins/beach break. obviously there was not enough time to fully enjoy and explore the ruins (over 8000 sites have been uncovered at the location) but it was still amazing. i am more than ready to go back for a longer stay.

our cruise went to progresso instead of coz also. i loved it. we had planne a beach break in coz but ended up doing a combo ruins/beach break. obviously there was not enough time to fully enjoy and explore the ruins (over 8000 sites have been uncovered at the location) but it was still amazing. i am more than ready to go back for a longer stay.

Hey, sweet girl....we're actually looking at renting a house in Coz next January so we can spend time doing the ruins in that area.

Just returned on the Ecstasy and thoroughly enjoyed our visit to Progreso. Purchased silver necklaces at Cinco Soles at the pier for my grand daughters,then took the shuttle bus to the Progreso Market Place.Bargained with the vendors and bought small leather purses and bracelets. Thought that the prices were better than Cozumel. Also crossed the street and walked through the produce market and chatted with the vendors. Then went on a tour to the Dzibilchatun ruins through Autoprogreso Tours and guided by Isaac who is well informed regarding the Mayan culture. All and all, a most enjoyable visit. This was my third visit to the Yucatan and have always been impressed with the friendliness of the citizens of this area.

Archived