Wind Surf: Cabin Recommendation & Diving

C-Gar

Looking for cabin recommendations, A vs. B, and any input on cabin # preference, re location, size, noise, etc.

Also looking for feedback on the SCUBA operation.

(We'll be booking "Belize and Mayan Riviera".)

Thanks and Bubbles Up.

Hello,

We are booked on the March 13th sailing. The March 20th is all-inclusive, pop, bottled water and some beers, wines,etc for $200.00 more. We don't drive much when we dive so we're on the earlier cruise. We've never been on a small boat, but we booked an "A" cabin so we could have a better view. Looks like the water deck also has the A cabins.

Ken and Pam W.

kpjwed@ncats.net

Hi Ken and Pam W.

We decided to book the last cruise of the season, 3/27. Wish you great diving (and a whale shark!) -- please let us know how it goes, especially if you do the Blue Hole.

Bubbles Up, Cat/Garry

I just booked the 3/20 trip. Both my wife and I are c-card divers. It's a surprize for her as she thinks we're spending a week in Cozumel. We spent our honeymoon aboard the Windstar from Rome to Athens and absolutely loved it! The one negative comment we had was the nickel-&-diming with the sodas/beer/wine. Glad to see they're trying the all-inclusive route.

We have spent a week diving lighthouse cay in Belize and it was spectacular. Really looking forward to this trip!!!

My TA booked us on cabin 301, the aft-most cabin on deck 3. I noticed that there are many mid-level deck 2 cabins available.

When asked, she said any cabin on deck 3 is preferable to any cabin on deck 2.

Anyone care to weight-in on this??? :confused:

Most (but not all) of the cabins beginning with the number 3 are suites. That means that they are double the size of the cabins located on lower decks. I believe there are a few non-suite cabins on level three and I can't imagine why they would be preferable.

I always look for midship.

happy windsurfer

We just stayed in cabin 301 on Windsurf. We did hear engine and anchor (I presume) noises. When we booked this cruise the TA told us that cabin 341 is adjacent to the crew's dining room, and would be noisy. We walked by there on our way to the Bistro, and heard loud noises. We've also been in 325, more midship, and heard few noises. I wanted a deck three cabin for the Atlantic crossing because I didn't want to see water washing over our porthole if the weather was rough. Call me chicken.

Larry and I have cruised and scuba dived on Windsurf four times. We have been on deck two once and then opted for a suite on deck three since then. It's not becuase we found the regular cabins too small, we just found we appreciated and enjoyed having the addtional space as well as two bathrooms.

On deck 2 we would recommend the series between 226-267. On deck 3, 319-335. All of the rooms within the range are generally well positioned and you shouldn't be bothered by ship noises, or motion. All of these cabins are very easily accessible to the marina.

The Surf is ideal for scuba enthusiasts. The sports coordinators are generally very well trained and they allow divers to keep their gear down at the marina throughout the cruise, they even hang up and dry your wet suit. Have a great time!

Bill

Here is a web photo album that a guest at a resort in Belize that we stayed in July was kind enough to share. Just a little sampling of the diving that awaits :)

http://www.ofoto.com/I.jsp?c=8irvrgb.9klypnin&x=0&y=c3lozc

Just click on the "view photos" button, then click on the "play" button on the Ofoto Slideshow window. Enjoy!!

• 4 months later...

OK, I'm a little late to this party, but if you have any thoughts on the following topics, I'd be glad to hear them...

My wife and I are booked on the 3/20 Windsurf sailing. This will be our 6th cruise, but our first on a Windstar ship, and I don't mind telling you that I'm pretty psyched about it! We're also staying on in Cozumel for 3 days after the return to that port. I dive (certified last March; about a dozen dives since then, including Tahiti and Cozumel); she doesn't. She has a fear of drowning (it took me 5 years and no end of threatening to get her to try snorkeling. She loves it now, so maybe there's hope for her yet...). My questions/observations:

1) Regarding diving in Belize: I'm thinking of NOT doing the Blue Hole dive: am I insane? I want to dive in the morning, then have time to spend on land with my patient and understanding wife. The Blue Hole trip is said to take 8 hours, and that wipes out any other opportunities. If I skip the Blue Hole, will Saint Peter laugh at me when (if!) I approach the Pearly Gates?

2) Similar question regarding the sharks and dolphins in Honduras. I witnessed a shark feeding in Moorea and swam with dolphins in Bora Bora; do I need to see it again now? It -- like the Blue Hole -- is a bloody expensive trip. I'm leaning toward 2 "regular" dives that morning. Any thoughts?

3) Anybody done a "Zip Through the Jungle canopy on a clothes line" excursion before? Was it as cool as it sounds?

4) Finally (I think): we're staying at the Intercontinental Presidente after the crusie; does anyone know anything about the dive operation there?

Thanks to all!

Gymswim's reply- 1). Although I've never done the Blue Hole, I wish I had. I've been diving a lot during two different trips in Belize, once with Windstar (a few years ago) and another on Princess (in Jan 2005). I've been diving in many of the same places you have, and after Tahiti especially, I have not found the diving in Belize to be as spectacular. I was off Ambergies on both dive trips.

2- I have not yet been diving in Honduras....but I would go along with whatever Windstar offers...for ease and convenience. Windstar is so good!

3- We just did the canopy zip line stuff in January and had a blast. I booked directly on line through Almonds and Coral for our stop in Limon...Google them. They met our ship and drove us to their facility.

4. Have not stayed at the Intercontinental Presidente .

Hope you have a great time on Windstar and let me know what you think of Windstar when you get back.

Blue Hole: we didn't dive it either on our 1/23 Mayan cruise. Cost was one reason, and also it sounded like a "bragging dive" (not that there is anything wrong with that!). It also sounded like you don't see much, and that you dive just to say you have done it.

We dove at Utila, Honduras and had a great time. We heard that the Roatan dive was fantastic! The whale and shark dives were canceled on our cruise because of rough seas.

We did the Zipline in Roatan and had a fantastic time! See my report (1/23 Mayan Cruise) on this board.

We have never stayed at the Presidente, but met many cruisers who have, and they said the place was great! But, I don't know much about the diving operation there, but I assume it would be fantastic!

Have stayed at the Presidente 4 or 5 times, but not since 1999 or 2000. The hotel is wonderful (up til then was by far the best on the island), and the dive operation was first rate...was called Scuba Du. We are on the Mar. 27th trip and will stay there for a night after the cruise. Diving in Cozumel is great, and very different due to strong drift nature of most dives. Favorites sites are Santa Rosa Wall, Palancar Caves, and best of all is Punta Sur. (South Point). When diving Punta Sur try to go with small, experienced group. Dive is most dramatic I've ever been on, but involves some small spaces and is quite deep.

Blue Hole: we didn't dive it either on our 1/23 Mayan cruise. Cost was one reason, and also it sounded like a "bragging dive" (not that there is anything wrong with that!). It also sounded like you don't see much, and that you dive just to say you have done it.

We dove at Utila, Honduras and had a great time. We heard that the Roatan dive was fantastic! The whale and shark dives were canceled on our cruise because of rough seas.

We did the Zipline in Roatan and had a fantastic time! See my report (1/23 Mayan Cruise) on this board.

We have never stayed at the Presidente, but met many cruisers who have, and they said the place was great! But, I don't know much about the diving operation there, but I assume it would be fantastic!

I agree with nedleycan re: the Blue Hole. It is a "Bragging Dive". You go 100+ feet, swim around some stalactites, see some sharks in the distance, then pop back up. Be prepared to come up with a creative reply to everyone's question: "You dove Belize and didn't dive The Blue Hole?" Possible response: "Naaah, I'd rather be snorkeling with my understanding wife." and rake in the hubby points. :D

You will have us as company on the Zipline in Roatan. That sounds like an absolute blast! We'll also probably sign up for the cave tubing in Belize.

We're staying at the Intercontinental Presidente the day before the Cruise. When the Windstar Bill came due I practically fell out of my chair when I realized they're soaking us for 2 x 210 = $420 for one night!!! I thought the cost was going to be half that!! This hotel better be fantastic...

C'mon over when you get settled and we'll have a drink together. We're in cabin 332.

p.s. To get your suba juices flowing, check out these pics from our last year's trip to Belize:

http://www.ofoto.com/I.jsp?c=8irvrgb.9klypnin&x=0&y=c3lozc

Gonedownlately,

In addition to SALEMSM on the 20-March sailing, you will have as cruisemates my family of 12. Some of us dive. My wife is NOT one of those. Her story is much like your wife's, although 2 yaers ago Joan DID take a Discover Scuba in Hawaii. It's a wonderful story of how they tried to drown her.

I plan on diving in the mornings and NOT the Blue Hole. I think I'll be getting the 6-dive package, keep it shallow and plan to make it back to the boat by noon each day. Not so much for the hubby points, it's more of a life-or-death type-of-thing. While I'm down blowing bubbles, Joan will most likely be either doing a different ship-offered excusion, or if possible, looking for a place in which to assist the local economy. We plan to spend afternoons together either snorkeling or in further economy pumping ventures.

Like SALEMSM, we have been on a couple of Windstar trips before and they have been perfect! I too did the 95' shark feeding 2-tank dive with Top Dive in Moorea and feel no need to have another go.

We will be going down 2-days early and have opted out of the cruise-provided accommondations. We are staying at the El Cid near the port for $336 total (2-days, 2-people). Most likely not as fancy as the El Presidente, but then again, neither are we. We have also heard the Fiesta is a great place to stay, with a great dive operation, in the price-range of the El Cid.

Everything posted since my inquiry has been very helpful. I'm definitely making time to do the zipline trip in Roatan...

Rickcohen2: a group of 12!?! You oughtta buy your own boat! And then charge the rest of us to sail on it!

Salemsm: We'll definitely look you up; would love to hear about your trip through the Greek Isles! That's an excursion we're looking at doing sometime in the future... We're in cabin 316...

To any other divers: there's a nice little article in the new edition of Scuba Diving magazine about diving in the Bay Islands...

See you all on board!

• 2 weeks later...

Wishing you all great upcoming sailings! Hope to read some postings about your diving and on board experience before we head out 3/25. I'm wondering if Wind Surf will accommodate us with some afternoon land excursions to combine with our morning dives. Bon voyage and bubbles up!

Archived