Bringing your own wine

Ryanne

I've seen that carnival now has a policy on one bottle of wine per passenger when bringing it board. I have always brought 8-10 bottles in my carry-on. Has anyone been stopped for this leaving out of san juan?

Where did you see ONE bottle mentioned? Carnival's big brochure says "Guests may bring fine wine or champagne aboard.....a $10 corkage fee per bottle will be charged should you want to consume this in the dining room...." Per bottle sounds like more than one to me. I always take two for a five-night cruise, but also buy a bottle in the dining room.

I dont think they strictly enforce the one bottle rule. Here is the Policy:

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Liquor_and_Beverage_Consumption_Policy.aspx

Can I Bring Liquor On Board?spacer.gifA liquor and beverage consumption policy was created in order for Carnival to be able to control the liquor consumption of minors and the quantities consumed that lead to the disruptive behavior of others on board.

Liquor and Beverage Policy

Bringing Alcohol On Board - Embarkation

Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages on board.

One bottle of fine wine or champagne, per stateroom, may be brought on board during embarkation only. If the wine and/or champagne is brought to the Dining room for consumption, a $10 corkage fee per bottle will be charged to the guest; otherwise, the guest may only drink the wine and/or champagne in the privacy of a stateroom. The wine and/or champagne may NOT be brought into any other public lounge or area.

Guests may bring a small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages. Excessive quantities, to be determined at the discretion of security and/or the embarkation personnel, will be confiscated and retained by Carnival until the cruise is completed.

One bottle of fine wine or champagne, per stateroom, may be brought on board during embarkation only. If the wine and/or champagne is brought to the Dining room for consumption, a $10 corkage fee per bottle will be charged to the guest; otherwise, the guest may only drink the wine and/or champagne in the privacy of a stateroom. The wine and/or champagne may NOT be brought into any other public lounge or area..... [/b]
Solo,

I don't know where you're getting that, but Carnival is sending mixed messages. In the latest big brochure (2004-2005) :

"Fine wine or champagne may be brought on board only during embarkation at the beginning of the cruise. A $10 corkage fee, etc. etc. etc............."

The words ONE bottle are not included in that statement.

Solo,

I don't know where you're getting that, but Carnival is sending mixed messages. In the latest big brochure (2004-2005) :

"Fine wine or champagne may be brought on board only during embarkation at the beginning of the cruise. A $10 corkage fee, etc. etc. etc............."

The words ONE bottle are not included in that statement.

Its on the carnival website. I posted the link, here it is again

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Liquor_and_Beverage_Consumption_Policy.aspx

Well I most certainly would not CARRY ANY on. We took substantially more than one bottle on our cruise on the Pride in Nov. Never had a problem. Do not forget to pack your corkscrew and open the wine in your room. Stop at a bar and ask for a couple of wine glasses and carry the bottle and glasses into the dining room.

Nancy

I was wondering if anyone knows what they consider "Fine Wine"? :confused: My BIL makes homemade wine and I was thinking of taking some of it with me. It is always about 21 proof when he bottles it. I understand that most store bought wine is 12 prood or under. I know that when you drink it you, usually, can't have over 2 glasses before you have trouble standing up. :D

Good question. I don't know what they consider FINE wines, as their wine list has ALL kinds, from 'fine' (and $$$!) down to what I call average ($$), so who knows? :confused:

I have never had a problem bringing my own wine on any Carnival ship. We usually bring two or three bottles and still purchase a few in the dining room depending on the length of our cruise.

Since the bottles are glass, we always carry them on. The LAST cruise we went on we even carried beer on in the same bag as the wine. We were not questioned at all.

I don't suggest you try bringing beer on; however, we felt like we had to try something new :)

Thanks for all the replies. I've seen the brochures that say you can bring wine, but my last set of documents (which I didn't read until I was on my way to the port) said one bottle.

I do know from the past that it doesn't have to be "fine wine" I usually bring fairly inexpensive Williamsburg wines.

Box wine, folks, you don't worry about it breaking, you bring on a couple of boxes in you check in = 8 bottles. Unless your a wine snob the stuff is pretty darn good after the second glass. Red need not be refrigerated. We left ours on the counter in the cabin and the steward even furnished clean wine glasses everyday.

We walked into the dining room every night with a full glass. (one reason the room stewart had to give us new glasses everyday. Amazing what a extra $20 can get you if you tip the right person at the right time.) We also bought a bottle every night. The box was great for setting on the balcony at sail away.

Archived